• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, it’s that time of year…
View attachment 1703579
Swapped out to JBM’s from the Santa Mok’s for around the house. As @madhat noted - my Santa’s have olive Dainite and the JBM’s have the (I think oiled) leather sole.
D3CD6CAB-2E2B-49BB-9F0C-A5E932247BBE.jpeg

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
For any Mac Neil fans looking for a 10D, these are in great shape on Poshmark.ca for about $150 CND or $120 USD.

1636930625730.png

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the Freeport natty shell — what sole options did you guys get? I’m guessing the double JR, or maybe the chestnut Dainite?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Chester was made on the 3 last, which is exactly what I need from a last, even moreso than what is being offered nowadays with the 65, which fits me nicely but which isn't quite as perfect, save on their shell cordovan models. Specifically, it offers a wide tie and a narrow heel, which is exactly what I have in regards to feet.

It basically fits me as well as any shoe I have ever owned, and in fact, fits me pretty much perfectly.

If given the chance, I'd buy like, 10 more of these shoes on this last.

Incidentally, these shoes were made on the 19th of March, 1989, as indicated by the date code.

Thanks for the details! It's really a handsome last, reminds me of some of the Alden ones.

So many neat styles and lasts in AE's history, it would be neat to make a re-emergence.

Balmoral, natty shell cordovan, U-cap.

YUM! What are those!!
Ashley already piped in but she had said a while back when I was beating the FBG drum before that it wouldn't happen this year with everything else going on but she would try to see what could be done for us next yeah. Thanks @ae_ashley

2p3k8s.jpg

I'd like to see a Balmoral boot. Doesn't have to be a return of an existing style but I'm ok if it is. I'd really like a merlot or dark red option.

I know a few of us would like to see AE make some styles that Carmina, Carlos Santos and a number of others make.
balmoran_boots_brown_suede_museum_80092_l-2.jpg

A modification to the fifth street would result in the above.

A balmoral version of the Cornwallis would look very nice and modern.

As to football grain I personally would want it on a Landon or Patton, I don't think I'd get it on a non boot. No funny soles either itshide or dainite.

I'm, probably alone on this one but I'd like a boot version of the St. Johns.
HestonOxbloodDenim21200x800_1200x.jpg

A true balmoral boot would be AMAZING. I have no Carmina boots/shoes but I am going to have to try and figure out how to obtain one because those and others are spectacular.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Felt like breaking some rules today, so I wore some oxfords casually with selvedge. The bright red laces stayed on, just so I could reinforce that I'm wearing these shoes as objects.

IMG_5575.jpg

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like the kangaroo leather? I hear it's light and durable.
I like it a lot. It actually feels pretty substantial. Almost reminds me of a Dublin leather. The colour and character is so much better in person. Coupled with the crazy lug sole, I think these boots are going to be bulletproof.
FA84DE59-6498-4E4F-A991-C3C9F0CFCE31.jpeg

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I re-read your original message. When I read footbed from your message, my mind went to a default thinking: footbed = insole. In addition, you mentioned, "At that point a solution is sprayed to the underside of the insole. " My thought is that you are re-shaping the original insole. When I stated to instruct the cobbler to replace the footbed, I mean tell the cobbler to replace the old insole with the previous owner's foot impression on the insole with...........a new leather insole.

Additional question for you. AE states that a pair of shoes can only be re-built three times. I suspect the machine AE uses to re-welt the shoes is making new holes on the upper leather, which in turn new holes weaken the upper leather. Situation as described, would you glue a piece nylon fabric on the inside of the upper, so the welt would have a stronger hold (or grip) of the upper leather?
In order to answer your question I must first explain....
AE is a mass producer. They have a factory mentality. Accordingly they establish procedures, policies and, services in a way that is practical for them to be viable, make a profit and, service their customers. They are also faced with the challenge of training their employees on every level to represent the company in the image they desire. They're primary business is selling new shoes. Repairs are a secondary business used as a support to sell new shoes. After-all, who is going to pay $400.00 for a pair of shoes that can't be re-crafted. IMO there is nothing wrong with that business model. So, the repairs that come in to AE have to fall within specific guidelines that they set for them to be willing to do the repair. Basically the shoes start on the assembly line go through a process which can be duplicated 100's of times per day, completed and, out the door. Anything outside the very basic realm can and most likely be rejected or condemned.
In the repair industry every pair is treated as a one-off. That's a shop mentality which is unlike a factory mentality. When "AE states that a pair of shoes can only be rebuilt 3 times" that is their claim based on what they determined but, it's not true if you factor in a quality repair shops expertise. We are used to seeing extra work that needs to be done that a factory is not set up to do. That extra work means the shoe needs to be pulled off the line which cuts into profits. It's true that AE replaces the welts as part of their re-crafting process. Replacing the welts is not always necessary. In fact it's most often not necessary. When AE replaces a welt the shoe gets put on a welting machine. That machine can pierce holes through the upper, lining and, gemming which are not where the original holes were thereby weakening the structure of the shoe.
Yes, after 3 of those processes I can see why AE (or most of the factories) would not want to repeat the process further.
In a competent repair shop welts are not replaced unless necessary and they charge extra for that. But, since they rewelt by hand they stitch through the original holes of the upper, lining and gemming no damage is done what so ever. Additionally, if the upper or lining is weak in any specific areas it gets patched and supported. If the gemming appears to be loose in some areas it gets glued back into place. I can't tell you how many times we receive shoes from a customer that were condemned for repair from the maker. It's almost 100% a typical repair for a competent repair shop.
All of it amounts to the difference between a factory mentality and a competent repair shop mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad