• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
56A26450-0309-4E9E-A5FE-AEE65D704BAC.png

@Roycru this is not a high quality pic but UP’s No. 4014 did several whistle stops nearby Friday, including Main Street in my town. A 4-8-8-4, it lay dormant in a museum in Pomona for half a century before UP bought it back six years ago and restored it. It hit the road, et, tracks this year. It is the only one of the 25 “Big Boys” built in WWII still in operation. It is the biggest and most powerful steam locomotive still operating. UP sends it on PR tours. Currently celebrating the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad.

Shoe link: I was wearing burg shell Bradley’s.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing these again today. May have finally solved the problem of what to call them.

Since no one seems quite certain whether the saddle parts are shark or kudu, and since they only have a number and no name in them, from now on going to call them Secret Agent Man.

"Secret agent man, secret agent man,
They've given you a number and taken away your name."

View attachment 1281265

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, standing next to a locomotive earlier today at the place I still call Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal.

View attachment 1281267

On the off chance anyone is wondering how long I've worn blue blazers and taken pictures standing next to locomotives at LAUPT, here's a picture taken when Kennedy was President.

View attachment 1281271

Before anyone asks did I just take pictures standing next to locomotives or did I get on the train and go somewhere after taking the pictures, the answer is yes.

View attachment 1281272

Extra Added Attraction: Last year in Arizona I may have discovered the source of shell cordovan safety shoes.

` View attachment 1281279
@Roycru. This should all be in a book by now. Or two.

quickonthetree

Reaction score
My replacement pair of #8 shell PAs arrived. The vamp pieces still aren’t perfect (the stitching isn’t at the edge of the leather like it is on my calf PAs) but I can live with it. Two questions though:

1. the toe cap is actually a little concave near the stitching. I notice it pretty clearly when I wear them looking down at them. Is this normal for shell? My calfskin PAs don’t do this but I wasn’t sure if this happens because shell is stiffer.
2. Just walking around the house with them, I noticed where they bend in the vamp gets lighter. It’s almost like the finish is wearing off. Is this normal for shell? Is this the dreaded bloom?
I am attaching a picture. You can see the concave in the second picture, and the lightening I mention is toward the top of the photo on the vamp. I apologize for what might be noob questions but I’ve never owned shell before. You guys convinced me. ?

If I was you I'd just buy some Cole Haan. Don't settle for subpar shoes like AE shell. Cole Haan has a superior process for attaching the sole to the shoe. They actually have a high grade adhesive that cements the shoe to the welt. This results in a more flexible lightweight shoe with a greatly enhanced comfort level that makes AE irrelevant. Why would anyone want to walk on a wooden welt and sole? L

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Gents that own a calf Fifth Street - is the cone/instep the same height as your other 65-lasted bals, or did they add more room because it’s a boot? I have a big V-gap with my Park Aves and wonder if it’ll be the same with this boot.
Thanks.

Last edited:

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice boots of course, how do you like the Soso denim, compared to your Brave Stars?

Soso has a spotty at best reputation for stitching issues with their thicker denim. I only have 2 pair of Soso but on limited wear experience the denim looks good, too soon to question stitching (maybe there were some failed early-attempts to stitch thick denim?). The legs are too roomy but in cold weather there's room for layering and movement.

I grabbed that pair because I like a similar looking Gustin version and these Sosos are winter thick.

BraveStar is great but their range of variety is all blue (and a little black). : )
I have a pair of 27oz SUMOs to break in soon, but they scare me a bit, break in will be brutal for a 'few' wears.

And if anyone has a 32 or 33 waist, these 22 oz Slubnoxious Straight legs look like a great price in time for winter...

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gents that own a calf Fift Street - is the cone/instep the same height as your other 65-lasted bals, or did they add more room because it’s a boot? I have a big V-gap with my Park Aves and wonder if it’ll be the same with this boot.
Thanks.
The cone is the same but because you are using a shoe last, once you get past the top of the last, there is more room. Here is something to consider, the pattern at the edge of the eye stays is not straight. It is curved slightly outward. Even if you have a low volume foot, you end up with a gap at the midway point of the eye stays.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soso has a spotty at best reputation for stitching issues with their thicker denim. I only have 2 pair of Soso but on limited wear experience the denim looks good, too soon to question stitching (maybe there were some failed early-attempts to stitch thick denim?). The legs are too roomy but in cold weather there's room for layering and movement.

I grabbed that pair because I like a similar looking Gustin version and these Sosos are winter thick.

BraveStar is great but their range of variety is all blue (and a little black). : )
I have a pair of 27oz SUMOs to break in soon, but they scare me a bit, break in will be brutal for a 'few' wears.

And if anyone has a 32 or 33 waist, these 22 oz Slubnoxious Straight legs look like a great price in time for winter...
Love the fit of my Brave Stars (sized down). Waiting on another pair.

Would love to see BS offer some of the brown denim that Gustin offers. Alternatively, I wish Gustin would offer a tapered lower leg fit.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the fit of my Brave Stars (sized down). Waiting on another pair.

Would love to see BS offer some of the brown denim that Gustin offers. Alternatively, I wish Gustin would offer a tapered lower leg fit.

They technically do with their "slim" but the rise and the fact i have to get like 3 inches additional on the waist just to get them around my "he uses the weight room" quads means I just stick with the straight fit.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like my Brave Star Heavyweights. I have the 21.5oz and 27oz., both are pretty comfortable. I also grabbed the Badlands Jacket, very nice!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like they still have an 11E and 11 3E for under $335. Which is a great price.

Not sure if this is some kind of glitch, but just checked amazon for other shell cordovan and found myself a Randolph Burgandy in 13E for less than $240

View attachment 1281318
Watch out for them being seconds. If they are (or even if perfect firsts), claim they were damaged or lost and get Amazon to send you a second pair for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads