• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

quickonthetree

Reaction score
My replacement pair of #8 shell PAs arrived. The vamp pieces still aren’t perfect (the stitching isn’t at the edge of the leather like it is on my calf PAs) but I can live with it. Two questions though:

1. the toe cap is actually a little concave near the stitching. I notice it pretty clearly when I wear them looking down at them. Is this normal for shell? My calfskin PAs don’t do this but I wasn’t sure if this happens because shell is stiffer.
2. Just walking around the house with them, I noticed where they bend in the vamp gets lighter. It’s almost like the finish is wearing off. Is this normal for shell? Is this the dreaded bloom?
I am attaching a picture. You can see the concave in the second picture, and the lightening I mention is toward the top of the photo on the vamp. I apologize for what might be noob questions but I’ve never owned shell before. You guys convinced me. 😝
If I was you I'd just buy some Cole Haan. Don't settle for subpar shoes like AE shell. Cole Haan has a superior process for attaching the sole to the shoe. They actually have a high grade adhesive that cements the shoe to the welt. This results in a more flexible lightweight shoe with a greatly enhanced comfort level that makes AE irrelevant. Why would anyone want to walk on a wooden welt and sole? L

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Gents that own a calf Fifth Street - is the cone/instep the same height as your other 65-lasted bals, or did they add more room because it’s a boot? I have a big V-gap with my Park Aves and wonder if it’ll be the same with this boot.
Thanks.

Last edited:

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice boots of course, how do you like the Soso denim, compared to your Brave Stars?

Soso has a spotty at best reputation for stitching issues with their thicker denim. I only have 2 pair of Soso but on limited wear experience the denim looks good, too soon to question stitching (maybe there were some failed early-attempts to stitch thick denim?). The legs are too roomy but in cold weather there's room for layering and movement.

I grabbed that pair because I like a similar looking Gustin version and these Sosos are winter thick.

BraveStar is great but their range of variety is all blue (and a little black). : )
I have a pair of 27oz SUMOs to break in soon, but they scare me a bit, break in will be brutal for a 'few' wears.

And if anyone has a 32 or 33 waist, these 22 oz Slubnoxious Straight legs look like a great price in time for winter...

Last edited:

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents that own a calf Fift Street - is the cone/instep the same height as your other 65-lasted bals, or did they add more room because it’s a boot? I have a big V-gap with my Park Aves and wonder if it’ll be the same with this boot.
Thanks.
The cone is the same but because you are using a shoe last, once you get past the top of the last, there is more room. Here is something to consider, the pattern at the edge of the eye stays is not straight. It is curved slightly outward. Even if you have a low volume foot, you end up with a gap at the midway point of the eye stays.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soso has a spotty at best reputation for stitching issues with their thicker denim. I only have 2 pair of Soso but on limited wear experience the denim looks good, too soon to question stitching (maybe there were some failed early-attempts to stitch thick denim?). The legs are too roomy but in cold weather there's room for layering and movement.

I grabbed that pair because I like a similar looking Gustin version and these Sosos are winter thick.

BraveStar is great but their range of variety is all blue (and a little black). : )
I have a pair of 27oz SUMOs to break in soon, but they scare me a bit, break in will be brutal for a 'few' wears.

And if anyone has a 32 or 33 waist, these 22 oz Slubnoxious Straight legs look like a great price in time for winter...
Love the fit of my Brave Stars (sized down). Waiting on another pair.

Would love to see BS offer some of the brown denim that Gustin offers. Alternatively, I wish Gustin would offer a tapered lower leg fit.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the fit of my Brave Stars (sized down). Waiting on another pair.

Would love to see BS offer some of the brown denim that Gustin offers. Alternatively, I wish Gustin would offer a tapered lower leg fit.
They technically do with their "slim" but the rise and the fact i have to get like 3 inches additional on the waist just to get them around my "he uses the weight room" quads means I just stick with the straight fit.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like my Brave Star Heavyweights. I have the 21.5oz and 27oz., both are pretty comfortable. I also grabbed the Badlands Jacket, very nice!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like they still have an 11E and 11 3E for under $335. Which is a great price.

Not sure if this is some kind of glitch, but just checked amazon for other shell cordovan and found myself a Randolph Burgandy in 13E for less than $240

View attachment 1281318
Watch out for them being seconds. If they are (or even if perfect firsts), claim they were damaged or lost and get Amazon to send you a second pair for free.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cone is the same but because you are using a shoe last, once you get past the top of the last, there is more room. Here is something to consider, the pattern at the edge of the eye stays is not straight. It is curved slightly outward. Even if you have a low volume foot, you end up with a gap at the midway point of the eye stays.
Like this.
C942DBED-FAC7-4BC4-8420-30117A9C1CCD.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.8%
  • 21 - 30