• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was in the same boat but had a gift card to deal with on top of it. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news and I hope I'm wrong, but I am not sure the coupon is coming.

I had emailed on Friday with no response. I finally called yesterday - waited on hold for over 30 min. When I inquired about why the order was cancelled, the CS rep said it was a pricing error they were unable to honor. I knew they have probably dealt with some real jerks on this, so I was being polite and cordial about the situation. I had used a gift card and they indicated the value of the gift card had been restored (which I luckily still had and was able to verify was the case while on the phone). When I inquired about the coupon code, at first she seemed somewhat confused and then I explained I had a friend who had the same issue but received an email explanation with a 40% off code. She then said something to the effect of "Oh, that 40% off. We are out of those to give out." She then went to explain she would put a note in the order, and I could purchase a single pair of shoes at full price, and then call them back afterwards and they would "take care of it on the back end after the fact." When I asked if they could just send me the code to use on the front end, she indicated there was really nothing she could do other than the note on my account with the order. Uh... wtf?!?!

Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed by the interaction. I'm wishing better success than I had on this one!
Let me sum all this crap up.
Pricing error. (ok, it happens)
Off the hip decision to give 40% off. (Great.)
Management realizing how many 40% off coupons they are on the line for. (rut row, can't do that!)
Let customer service satisfy those who ask. (Do not make it easy tough)
It seems with an error such as the one they had the first step would be to just stop them in the system and email and apology and an assurance that this will be addressed within a given time frame. At least that would have bought them enough time to evaluate what the correct remedy should be if there is one, or just apologize and take cover for the fall out. I think if they analyzed this, they may have come to the conclusion that a coupon code for 30% off your next purchase of regular priced shoes would have served them better. It would give AE an acceptable margin, a lot of sales are 30% off, and would have encouraged multiple shoe buys. Now they are stuck with a mistake compounded with unequal treatment of the mistake. Most customers are ok with a mistake and a resolution, but not when some get the product, most get cancelled, some get coupon inducement and a vast majority don't. I was a little peeved with the maritime situation. They decided to scrap the golf line and take back product out of the pro shops. This left them with some Maritime firsts and some other styles like the Woodstock. What do they do? Woodstock goes right to the bank and the first Maritimes are put in super secret inventory. You can only get the $99 Maritime if you know the correct SA.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not official yet, but a lot of places are reporting that there will be a 20% ebay coupon today.

How to redeem your Coupon:
Shop for eligible items. (See below for exclusions).
Pay for your item by 7:00 PM Pacific Time on June 6, 2018
Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: PICKDADSGIFT
Terms & Conditions:
This Coupon is a 20% discount off a minimum purchase of $50, valid from 7:00 AM PT June 6, 2018 until 7:00 PM PT on June 6, 2018. Discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of eligible items on eBay.com, cafr.ebay.ca and ebay.ca, and will be capped at a maximum value of $100. *Eligible items exclude warranties and protection plans, as well as items from the Coins & Paper Money, Gift Cards & Coupons, and Real Estate categories.

Coupon must be used within a single transaction (and can include multiple eligible items), while supplies last. Max one-time use. Only eBay users registered with an address located in the United States, Canada, Latin America or the Caribbean are eligible for the Coupon. Valid only for purchases from ebay.com, cafr.ebay.ca and ebay.ca. Any unused difference between the discount amount, as shown on the Coupon, and the purchase price of an item(s) in a single transaction (or cart) will be forfeited.

Coupon is subject to U.S. laws, void where prohibited, not redeemable for cash, has no face value, and cannot be combined with any other Coupon, or when paying with PayPal Credit Easy Payments or Gift Cards. eBay may cancel, amend, or revoke the Coupon at any time.

Thanks for this. I used this as an opportunity to pick up a non-AE shoe I’ve been drooling over for a couple years...

pudman43

Reaction score
30436A4A-4FE4-4043-BF4D-61BBD4BC8941.jpeg
Oxblood Strands for a busy Wed

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let me sum all this crap up.
Pricing error. (ok, it happens)
Off the hip decision to give 40% off. (Great.)
Management realizing how many 40% off coupons they are on the line for. (rut row, can't do that!)
Let customer service satisfy those who ask. (Do not make it easy tough)
It seems with an error such as the one they had the first step would be to just stop them in the system and email and apology and an assurance that this will be addressed within a given time frame. At least that would have bought them enough time to evaluate what the correct remedy should be if there is one, or just apologize and take cover for the fall out. I think if they analyzed this, they may have come to the conclusion that a coupon code for 30% off your next purchase of regular priced shoes would have served them better. It would give AE an acceptable margin, a lot of sales are 30% off, and would have encouraged multiple shoe buys. Now they are stuck with a mistake compounded with unequal treatment of the mistake. Most customers are ok with a mistake and a resolution, but not when some get the product, most get cancelled, some get coupon inducement and a vast majority don't. I was a little peeved with the maritime situation. They decided to scrap the golf line and take back product out of the pro shops. This left them with some Maritime firsts and some other styles like the Woodstock. What do they do? Woodstock goes right to the bank and the first Maritimes are put in super secret inventory. You can only get the $99 Maritime if you know the correct SA.
I'm getting the impression AE's system might be even worse than the USPS one.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going to weigh in on the 40% coupon code issue.
I have seen enough incorrect things being said by the Customer Service reps that I do not believe everything that they say. I do not believe that they “ran out” of codes. I believe that they emailed a unique code to everyone who ordered, but there seems to be a problem where some people did not get their coupon code. Some people later found them in a spam folder, but others could not find them anywhere. (Lost in the ether, perhaps?) I did get mine.

Some people have given away their codes, so it seems that these codes are good for a one-time purchase but aren’t tracked to the person that they originally issued them to. In that case, how do you manage people requesting multiple coupons after “losing” them? This wasn’t anticipated, and they don’t seem to have a way to handle it.

I guess the moral of the story is not to believe everything that CS tells you.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day 17:

Even though it’s June, we’ve got a much cooler day than usual today. That gave me a good reason to break out a pair that I had put away for the season — and to participate in boot week.

Here is the St. George jodhpur boot.

3836C6C2-7AB8-46CB-A423-520A8AAEB028.jpeg
B4DF5FAB-F19F-46CB-B585-7BA12072DEB8.jpeg

Have a great day.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Day 17:

Even though it’s June, we’ve got a much cooler day than usual today. That gave me a good reason to break out a pair that I had put away for the season — and to participate in boot week.

View attachment 986029 View attachment 986030

Have a great day.
You lucky bastard. Love those. :D

I pulled my Fifth Sts out today for a 102 degree day.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day 17:

View attachment 986029 View attachment 986030

Have a great day.

I have black jodhpurs I don't wear nearly often enough. That changes this year. #newyearnewme? :hide:

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going to weigh in on the 40% coupon code issue.
I have seen enough incorrect things being said by the Customer Service reps that I do not believe everything that they say. I do not believe that they “ran out” of codes. I believe that they emailed a unique code to everyone who ordered, but there seems to be a problem where some people did not get their coupon code. Some people later found them in a spam folder, but others could not find them anywhere. (Lost in the ether, perhaps?) I did get mine.

Some people have given away their codes, so it seems that these codes are good for a one-time purchase but aren’t tracked to the person that they originally issued them to. In that case, how do you manage people requesting multiple coupons after “losing” them? This wasn’t anticipated, and they don’t seem to have a way to handle it.

I guess the moral of the story is not to believe everything that CS tells you.

According to the CS rep, she could see that one was not issued to my account so they are tracking the initial distribution (unless she was flat out lying about that, which I don't know why she would). To your point, they can't control what people do with them after distributed, but apparently they have tracked who received them.

pedarius

Reaction score
Mr Sort Of Off-Topic Guy checking in. How’s your night going?

My first question: have any of you have ever purchased socks from Mes Chaussettes Rouges? If so, was it a good experience? I’ve been tempted lately by their expensive hosiery, but I have trepidation about dealing with an outfit in a far away land when we’re also separated by a language barrier. Leading me somewhat to my second question...

Second question: have any of you tried linen socks, specifically the Bresciani linen socks? Any reflections to share on them, positive or negative? Yeah they cost a few bucks, but I haven’t seen that kind of thing anywhere else in all of my searching.

I’m looking to slowly piece together some decent warm weather socks that would be a good match for loafers in particular. I really like the way that the solid color socks with vertical ribs look with loafers. Other subtle patterns would be acceptable as well. Not looking for bold patterns but saturated colors are okay. Was considering an eventual assortment of linen and cotton lisle socks. Might get one of each for starters and run them through their paces.

Suggestions for other summer loafer socks also welcome and will be personally investigated by me.

That’s all from Mr Sort Of Off-Topic Guy for now. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

I've only ordered from them once, so take this with a grain of salt, but my experience has been very positive. As a US size 14, there aren't many options for me for colorful dress socks, so I thought I'd take a gamble and order a selection from them. They arrived within four days, nicely packaged, smelling faintly of tobacco (pipe, not Gauloises). Anyway, very good quality and comfortable on hot, humid days (I'm in the South). Despite being thin they feel reasonably substantial. I ordered some in the lisle cotton and some in wool and to be honest can't really tell them apart by feel despite the "greater warmth" notes in the wool sock descriptions on the site. The two-tone vertical-ribbed socks are subtle but create just enough pop to be interesting and fun. Sadly can't speak to long-term longevity as this was fairly recent (early May), but I will definitely be ordering from them again unless these socks fall apart quickly.

PANJ

Reaction score
The half-off Road Warriors are made in the DR. I have not been buying AE shoes for very long and I could swear they were MiUSA. Is this recent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads