• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwatts2005

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. Does the Manistee clearance happen at a particular, predictable time? I’d love to get one of those.

I don't know your size, but the bank has Bourbon Manistee in a few sizes, as well as a lot of Walnut choices.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Hi all. I am thinking about getting a pair of cordovan Park Avenues to add to my growing collection. I have read the sizing advice over on /r/goodyearwelt, but the sizing for the 65 or "5" last seems to be all over the place. Is the general consensus here to go down a half size in length and up a size in width? Thanks!
I think they are consistent across most model in the 5 last . I think it comes down to shoes closure between bluchers and bals. Here are my brown shell PAs, same size as my calf PAs, Strands and McAs.

20180227_175501.jpg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. Does the Manistee clearance happen at a particular, predictable time? I’d love to get one of those.
Usually around the end of Spring selling season. AE usually discontinues merlot and Bourbon shoes like Mcallister around that time. I suppose exact timing is more dependent on sales profit matrix that most retailers use. When AE feels that they have maximized sell through at highest margin then they start the clearance process. They will also place these types of clearance shoes strategically before or after major sales to drive the marketing of a fresh sale.

Shoes4play

Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went in to my store again (2nd time in as many days for those keeping track) tonight with the intent on returning my newly arrived Surrey Chukkas and to have my Sullivan's stretched. My store didn't have 9D (a 9.5 had terrible heel slip) so they dropped shipped to my home, I didn't like either the fit or the height of the chukka. Not my style. For those keeping even better track, the majority of the funds for the chukkas came from returning a coat. I joking told the SA there (Tom @ Oakbrook) that I might as well roll the refund into the next purchase. I walked to browse and a minute later he called me over to the counter. He instructed me to read the monitor - starting Thursday select boots will be on sale for $350 (Tates?/Liverpool/Daltons). He said the sale could start tonight if I wanted it too

My first pair of walnut
View attachment 936999

"Action" Jackson was sad I left him while I ran my errand
View attachment 937000

One of the tongues had a bit of loose grain and one of the out soles had some wonky stitching - Tom said he could have another pair shipped to me, but he obliged to my request for a pair of shoe trees.
Tom is an SA who understands his role in AE and also human nature. AE allows SA’s the power to deliver a price adjustment, within certain parameters, to drive sales and customer satisfaction. He knew you were interested in a boot and were willing to buy with the proper inducement. No reason to make a willing buyer wait for the sale. He also did the correct thing by offering you another first when the deficiencies of the shoe in hand were noted. Agreeing to the shoe tree is just another power that an SA has to induce a customer to complete a sale and deliver value to the customer. He knows the next customer will just bring up the same concern on the shoe in hand so moving that shoe helps keep in store inventory fresh. That kind of sale is a win for both you and AE.

Shoes4play

Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On belts: do you guys recommend a place to get a walnut belt that is nice, affordable, and matches closely to a strand/Bartlett? I’m not really into payin the money AE wants for their belts.
Here's the thing with belts: get one from a reputable shoe maker, like AE, or a dedicated belt maker. They seem super expensive when compared to the typical $12.99 mall brand belt, but those are TOTAL crap. And if you go with one of the higher end fashion brands you'll pay at least as much if not more and you still might get crap.

The reason AE belts are "expensive" is that by the by they're real calf leather not corrected grain "genuine" leather. Wait for a sale or clearance, and check ShoeBank.com, DO NOT pay full retail. If you need something right away, try calling Kristen at the Paramus outlet and see if she has something in Walnut or Bourbon that fits your budget. The outlets typically have belts not listed on ShoeBank, and are often $40 or less. As mentioned, Bourbon is a good substitute for Walnut. IMO it's better, as its more versatile and isn't as in your face as Walnut with darker pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trumbus