• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wonderbeak

Reaction score
I guess it depends if you believe that I'm a 9D on the Brannock or an 8.5D on the Brannock. I'm edging toward a 9D on that thing. However, nearly everything I own is 8.5D. Occasionally I wonder if I wear my shoes too small (Dundee 2.0 comes to mind), but most of the time I don't think about it too much. I don't think I mind a little excess length, but what can bother me is too much room over the top of my forefoot/toes. Then I feel like my foot comes up off the insole or I get that annoying whooshing sound as the air rushes out of my shoe when the shoe flexes. I need it sort of wide but low across my toes, good instep room and narrow in the heel to keep my foot from feeling like it's not secure in the shoe and also not crushed at the instep.

I'd rate the odds of these being too roomy as pretty high. But no way to know until I try. My mutant feet could surprise us both. The pictures seem to indicate a rather low toe box. If that's true, it could work out.

I fight the same battle. My left foot Brannocks 9.5D, heel-to-toe and heel-to-ball; my left at 9D heel-to-toe, 9.5 heel to ball. However, the majority of my shoes across many manufacturers I've found a comfortable fit in 9D. I still don't know what I am supposed wear ha. The only thing I've ever been certain about is that wear 10D in Nikes.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been beaten to death in prior pages, but did you gents have to size down for the Stirling? I think I'm going to start in the same place, and go from there, unless there was a large response that sizing down was advised.

Incidentally, I just noticed that the All About Lasts page now takes you to the shoes that are currently offered on that last, instead of just a listing of shoes. Smart marketing.
I think they've had that ability to take you to the shoes for a while.

I'd go with your normal 65/201 size for starters

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I were told I was only allowed to wear Fifth St. for the rest of my life, is respond with "Thanks".

...aaaaaaand they're discontinued.

Take note AE, when you bring them back go ahead and offer more colors/textures so I can load up. Ok? Maybe a suede? Burgundy? Green shell? Thanks!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I were told I was only allowed to wear Fifth St. for the rest of my life, is respond with "Thanks".

Take note AE, when you bring them back go ahead and offer more colors/textures so I can load up. Ok? Maybe a suede? Burgundy? Green shell? Thanks!
I read that Fifth Ave, and thought NOOOOOOO, but then re-read it. Fifth AVE is my favorite AE dress shoe, but Caen my favorite AE boot, in fact I missed the Fifth St, boat and don’t own a pair.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few catch up pics, while I read back a few dozen pages.

First wear and post of these Bartletts. Since I have some overlap, and wanted a little more versatility, I elected to darken these with polish. I would say they are a tone or two darker than depicted here due to the gray checked (not white) pants. This was on a work trip, paired with light blue shirt and mid-navy sport coat.

20180207_092329.jpg
20180207_230709.jpg

These continue to get better as they break in.
20180211_205851.jpg
20180211_210026.jpg

Oak Streets that don't get nearly enough wear...
20180211_213209.jpg
20180211_212927.jpg

Normandy MTO with vibram lug sole. 20180102_093538.jpg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you ever wonder, after picking out the shoes, pants, tie, etc., whether or not it really all goes together?
The prior pictures showed the lower half well, and especially highlighted the pairing of the shoes with the pants. But when I look at this picture...
2D5D7D61-0DD1-490D-B1D9-5FF0897118EE.jpeg
I wonder if a different tie would have tied it all together better.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Is that a leather sole? Is that the difference between the Elgin and the Rush St?

Some others may have already hit this, but:
Rush St = flat welt, CXL, dainite, poron and the throat piece seems to run higher/tighter. Fits more narrow. Leather seems thinner and has less depth/patina possibility.
Elgin = reverse welt, natural edges, double oak sole. Fits more roomy but slightly shorter. This leather is bullet proof (like the OG McT) and just waiting to patina.

Looks good! Just scored a pair of Elgins as well; due this week. Thanks for the inspiration.

Great find, @cxlfinder. Now we just need to find a Lubbock!

Where did you guys find the Elgins?

Ask, and they will come. Or just constantly scour the bay and shoebank.

If I were told I was only allowed to wear Fifth St. for the rest of my life...

I love my 5ths! I find any excuse I can to be "suited and booted." Since I wear them pretty formally (more so than some would argue they should be worn), I've never thought about what they would look like in other colors or leathers.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

I truly don't understand this. AE should have a dress boot that is more formal than the Dalton. I don't see one being able to dress down the Fifth St like they can with the Dalton, and it's the perfect combination of formal and perfed, so they don't have to carry a whole line of "Park St.," "Strand St.," etc. Plus, it was made on the 65, so folks had an idea of fit compared to shoes. The Fifth St. is for the gent who wanted old school formality with classic style. I know they wouldn't sell a bunch of them, but there is a market there, and they should be in the classics line.

danwatts2005

Reaction score
A few catch up pics, while I read back a few dozen pages.

First wear and post of these Bartletts. Since I have some overlap, and wanted a little more versatility, I elected to darken these with polish. I would say they are a tone or two darker than depicted here due to the gray checked (not white) pants. This was on a work trip, paired with light blue shirt and mid-navy sport coat.

These continue to get better as they break in.
View attachment 924572
View attachment 924573

Oak Streets that don't get nearly enough wear...
View attachment 924576
View attachment 924574

Normandy MTO with vibram lug sole. View attachment 924575

How do you like the Oak Streets? I have had mine for 1.5 years or so, and the more I wear them, the more I like them. They are the ones that turned me onto Natty CXL. They have taken some getting used to due to 4 eyelets instead of six, but I really like them.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you ever wonder, after picking out the shoes, pants, tie, etc., whether or not it really all goes together?
The prior pictures showed the lower half well, and especially highlighted the pairing of the shoes with the pants. But when I look at this picture...
View attachment 924588
I wonder if a different tie would have tied it all together better.
One of those Bolo ties with a scorpion in lucite would work.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like the Oak Streets? I have had mine for 1.5 years or so, and the more I wear them, the more I like them. They are the ones that turned me onto Natty CXL. They have taken some getting used to due to 4 eyelets instead of six, but I really like them.

I bought mine shortly after falling in love with natty cxl. They have a little too much volume for my flat feet and I am not a fan of dainite at all. At first I wasn't a fan of the darker panels, but now I really like the look. That said, I am like you - the more I wear them the more they grow on me. They definitely have that "glow" that looks fantastic with dark denim or 5-pockets.

One of these days AE will offer the translucent lug sole as a re-craft option... and these will get swapped out, along with a Road Warriors insert tacked to the poron.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I truly don't understand this. AE should have a dress boot that is more formal than the Dalton. I don't see one being able to dress down the Fifth St like they can with the Dalton, and it's the perfect combination of formal and perfed, so they don't have to carry a whole line of "Park St.," "Strand St.," etc. Plus, it was made on the 65, so folks had an idea of fit compared to shoes. The Fifth St. is for the gent who wanted old school formality with classic style. I know they wouldn't sell a bunch of them, but there is a market there, and they should be in the classics line.
I suspect they'll come back in some form; they were a part of the line up for a good part of this decade. They're actually a pretty good seller I'm told.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
I fight the same battle. My left foot Brannocks 9.5D, heel-to-toe and heel-to-ball; my left at 9D heel-to-toe, 9.5 heel to ball. However, the majority of my shoes across many manufacturers I've found a comfortable fit in 9D. I still don't know what I am supposed wear ha. The only thing I've ever been certain about is that wear 10D in Nikes.
Same boat here, I'm more like a 9.5E (10C) on the left and 9.5 D on the right foot (I wear 10.5 in Nikes). For certain last, 9.5 D's are fine but others (like 8 last) will require some stretching of the left shoe. Our favorite seller sometimes has mis-match size; I've been meaning to take a chance on a pair.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suspect they'll come back in some form; they were a part of the line up for a good part of this decade. They're actually a pretty good seller I'm told.
There are times a company needs to take a decent seller off the market in order to create demand for it. It creates better shoe movement.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read that Fifth Ave, and thought NOOOOOOO, but then re-read it. Fifth AVE is my favorite AE dress shoe, but Caen my favorite AE boot, in fact I missed the Fifth St, boat and don’t own a pair.
Would really dig a black shell Fifth Ave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1