• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourbonator

Reaction score
Dang it .... I think I have contracted Audog Syndrome.

I REALLY don't need another one of these but that price and my current love for the ones I have said to grab them.

Keep them, maybe wear them, or maybe just resell them if they don't get enough attention from me.

Stirling.png

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope, Cochrane's. Gone now, but it used to be on Wright and Green, just a couple dozen feet north of Follett's (also gone). Cochrane's family owned a number of bars on campus at the time I was there (89-93/94-96) - Cochrane's, C.O. Daniels, R&R's, Clybourn, The Office and Office II, plus 1 or 2 others that were off-campus. I have no idea which bars they still own on campus, as I haven't been there in about 15 years now, but I know they have a couple.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope, Cochrane's. Gone now, but it used to be on Wright and Green, just a couple dozen feet north of Follett's (also gone). Cochrane's family owned a number of bars on campus at the time I was there (89-93/94-96) - Cochrane's, C.O. Daniels, R&R's, Clybourn, The Office and Office II, plus 1 or 2 others that were off-campus. I have no idea which bars they still own on campus, as I haven't been there in about 15 years now, but I know they have a couple.

Yes, they still own a couple on campus, plus Office and Office II are still open and they have a couple of bars downtown Champaign as that is the new "hotspot" lots of bars/coffee houses/eating places and nightclubs now.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dang it .... I think I have contracted Audog Syndrome.

I REALLY don't need another one of these but that price and my current love for the ones I have said to grab them.

Keep them, maybe wear them, or maybe just resell them if they don't get enough attention from me.

View attachment 990282
at that price, how can you refuse to get them. Even if they sit in the closet for a year or two.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PBR? Fancy schmancy.

24 packs of Old Milwaukee.

I woke up one spring break in the back of my custom van (80s) broke, with a loaf of bread and a case of Old Mil in the cooler in Ft Lauderdale. They pretty much gave Old Mil away it was so cheap. I think less than $5 for a case.

My two favorite pairs of footwear I own are my brown HMs and my dark brown Indy. There's not a close third. I was able to get the HMs early when they dropped the price from $350 to $250 and I was able to get the Indy from J.Crew for $388 instead of $550 when they erroneously ran a 30% off sale that included them. Getting them both at such steep discounts definitely played a part in how much I like them. If I could only get the boots at full price, I'd definitely choose the HM every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. I just don't get the feeling that the Indy is $200 better than the HM. $100 difference? Yeah, I can see that. But, in the end I'd rather have HM firsts and another pair of AEs off the Shoebank than pay full price for the Indy.

With all that being said, you're right that the CXL on the Indy is nicer. It's more flexible, has a nicer finish, and has pretty much zero loose grain. My HMs have plenty of loose grain, but I don't care because I feel like it's a boot that needs to be wrinkled and worn-in. CXL wrinkles. It's a fact of life. One other thing I think the Indy gets right is the number of eyelets. Having that many allows you to really tighten the laces to accommodate your foot exactly. The HM checks in about 2/3 the eyelets, and I think it makes a big difference in getting the boot to fit right. But, I like the Dainite sole of the HM better, and I like the poron. I feel like those two elements work together well. I know that poron affects fit, and that bothers some people, but it really works for me with this boot.

I don't think you can go wrong with either boot, and I'm glad the weasels on here were able to get you into a pair of Indys. Enjoy them. I've had mine for over a year now and really dig them - just not quite as much as my HMs.

HMs (particularly some of the SMU models in my closet) are my favorite boot but the stock Indys are a close second. But the Indys have been teasing me for years and there is something about wanting what I cannot have that escalates their value.

And I have convinced myself...to just go ahead and buy a few pairs so maybe (not) I will focus more on work. A few good hours of work can pay for this stuff, but instead, I'll scroll for bargains...for hours. :) Something about the thrill of the hunt.

Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 12.34.08 PM.png

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have the same blue suede nst on order with you. Plaza with brass hardware through AoM? I'm doing my best to hold out. I know this is one of those price is nice and shoe is nice but will I wear it type thing which I think the answer is "limited wears".... trying to hold off.
That’s them, and same boat.
I woke up one spring break in the back of my custom van (80s) broke, with a loaf of bread and a case of Old Mil in the cooler in Ft Lauderdale. They pr

HMs (particularly some of the SMU models in my closet) are my favorite boot but the stock Indys are a close second. But the Indys have been teasing me for years and there is something about wanting what I cannot have that escalates their value.

And I have convinced myself...to just go ahead and buy a few pairs so maybe (not) I will focus more on work. A few good hours of work can pay for this stuff, but instead, I'll scroll for bargains...for hours. :) Something about the thrill of the hunt.

View attachment 990284
I'd like to get my hands on the "ultimate Indy's" with the commando sole

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M
Will you be visiting The Macallen Distillery? I can't drink anymore so I'm living vicariously through these posts.
Unfortunately not on this trip,MacAllen’s in Speyside which has the largest concentration of distilleries in Scotland and may have to wait for a future “whisky tour”! Today I toured the Auchentoshan distillery outside of Glasgow. One of only a few Lowland single malts. I really like their whiskies and picked up a limited edition from Bordeaux casks. Forgot to take “in the wild “ pic:brick: but wore my Bellevues on the tour,here’s a “sampling”
image.jpg
image.jpg
many pardons for the state of my Bellevues,they hiked through wet pastures and up rocky hills yesterday. Bick 4 restored them but a little Cordovan creme when I get home should do the rest!

txmusician

Reaction score
If you call the factory shoe bank, will the SA check your size for SMU and BB stuff out in the tent?

RaiderATO

Reaction score
Between the taupe, loden, and slate, which one would you guys recommend?
Slate is grey, taupe is grey with some green, loden is green with some grey. They're pretty similar and the AE pics online do a horrible job of showing what they look like.

RMB35

Reaction score
If you call the factory shoe bank, will the SA check your size for SMU and BB stuff out in the tent?
I doubt that they would for SMU as you have to look for the boxes scattered with the regular makeups and then open each box. Plus there are very few SMU to be found. The BB is on a separate table and clearly marked so they might do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics