• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can almost understand a point system to be allowed to buy some seconds (brand loyalty and all that). But to simply look and see if they have something in my size? No thanks.

Yea, I was a bit unhappy with TSM. 2 welt issues on my first 2 pairs of Aldens, and the owner would not take my call. Sent first pair back, they added a stitch and the second pair issue is minor but I sent pic for future reference. Wanted a promise they would look over my 3rd pair before shipping. :) Third pair is fine.

So NOT the CS experience I have come to expect, but eh, they just shoes and I want them. And TSM has loads of options that no one else has. In. Stock. So I lowered my standards and bought a 3rd pair from them.

Would love a $25 discount on a shell pair of Indys, so if anyone is looking at buying anything from them, PM me.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting conversation with an SA from The Shoemart about Alden seconds. She said that they are introducing a point system where you will first need to acquire sufficient points (through the purchase of Alden shoes) in order to be allowed to view available Alden seconds.
Looks like the eBay option just started to get much more appealing.

LOLWUT?! I need to PROVE that I'm worthy of buying their DEFECTIVE merchandise?!? Did I just read that right?

e8ba39e3825da62ca3d57bcc32242098.jpg

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting conversation with an SA from The Shoemart about Alden seconds. She said that they are introducing a point system where you will first need to acquire sufficient points (through the purchase of Alden shoes) in order to be allowed to view available Alden seconds.

Yea, I was a bit unhappy with TSM. 2 welt issues on my first 2 pairs of Aldens, and the owner would not take my call. Sent first pair back, they added a stitch and the second pair issue is minor but I sent pic for future reference. Wanted a promise they would look over my 3rd pair before shipping. :) Third pair is fine.

So NOT the CS experience I have come to expect, but eh, they just shoes and I want them. And TSM has loads of options that no one else has. In. Stock. So I lowered my standards and bought a 3rd pair from them.

Would love a $25 discount on a shell pair of Indys, so if anyone is looking at buying anything from them, PM me.

Rats, I just bought my first pair during the recent cigar Indy drop, I didn't know bout the referral discount. I'd like to think that purchase at least got me one punch on my 2nds card - wait.. just checked - 1 shell Indy netted me exactly 100 points, equal to your 4$ discount. Half way to that new pair of laces!

edit: upon further research it seems it should be 1 point per dollar spent.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MD chukkas for the day. So nice, I may wear them again tomorrow.

0F367BBA-D5A7-4E0E-BD8F-8826853F8A6C.jpeg

RaiderATO

Reaction score
I might be repeating this news, but are you guys seeing this 70% off Warehouse sale? I just received notification. Some amazingly low prices on desirable boots / shoes.
View attachment 990362
Yeah, the email came after much of what I (might have) wanted was already gone in my size. Oh well.

Maxy

Reaction score
What is your question?

Getting frustrated with AE lasts and fitting. As mentioned previously, tried LGA with two sizes and both have a heel slip. Today got the Bainbridge a size narrow and this one has a heel slip too! :brick:

LGA 9.5 3E vs Bainbridge 9.5E (not to mention LGA 10E and on the order Kenwood 9.5 3E)

HEqHkjg.jpg

You seem to have a high instep.

I'd suggest a Carlyle or Players--in 10D. Even a Seconds Dundee or Whitney/Nomad/Tate. But you basically need a D width if your heel is slipping in bluchers.

My question is should 9.5D or 10D...

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made it to both tent sales this morning. Identical to past years except hardly any SMUs. Best deals were on the third party makeups. I ended up with RL suede sandersons and B.B. Dukes both first quality for $99 each

View attachment 990255
Great grab! The Dukes are awesome. There are times that they get the most wear of all my collection.

Aenonymous

Reaction score
Los Angeles Times - Jun 12, 2018
As leather shoes drop out of favor, cattle hides pile up
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-leather-shoes-20180612-story.html?outputType=amp

"Hide prices are among the lowest since 2009. They’ve dropped as much as 24% from the same time last year and are down by almost half since the peak in 2014, according to the most recent monthly report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture."

Anyone let AE know costs are down?
I'm not a leather expert, but I'd estimate that AE is using cattle hide for maybe only 25% of their shoes. But I'll agree they should lower their prices.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with them reserving more secret shoes from their abyss to customers who have purchased several pairs. Of course, I won't be joining that exclusive club.
You know, if they can pull off that level of marketing chutzpa, where they convince customers that buying defective merchandise is somehow an exclusive privilege, only attained by first buying a bunch of non-defective products (at MSRP), more power to them.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's just total garbage.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My question is should 9.5D or 10D...

The shoes you mentioned there are all on different lasts. What is your brannock and which shoe in particular are you trying to make work? Have you gone into a store to try stuff or are you just guessing around? If you mentioned it before I didn't see it.

You know, if they can pull off that level of marketing chutzpa, where they convince customers that buying defective merchandise is somehow an exclusive privilege, only attained by first buying a bunch of non-defective products (at MSRP), more power to them.
That's just total garbage.

I mean they clearly aren't hurting for sales of their limited seconds supply. It is already not a public list in that you have to request access to it to begin with. Making you purchase a single pair of shoes before you have access to that and rare shell doesn't seem like a big deal. Other retailers throw you on a list which could be quite a long wait while others require many purchases just to be considered. They aren't AE, it isn't a super high volume of seconds that go out from what I've seen.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loden on the left, then Taupe and Slate. Loden is green, taupe is grayish brown, and slate is pure gray. Loden and taupe are in repello suede, and slate is in janus suede. Slate is a little lighter than taupe, and the finer nap makes the color variation a little less noticeable.
View attachment 990338
View attachment 990336
View attachment 990337

They all go great with a business casual outfit. I think loden is probably a little more casual due the green tint, followed by slate, then taupe is probably the formal version.

So final answer, get them all for the price of one.
Dude... how many AE bal cap-toes do you own? Do you own every Strand derivative ever made?

But I bet you don't have a pair of these:
3kheqXgl.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shoes you mentioned there are all on different lasts. What is your brannock and which shoe in particular are you trying to make work? Have you gone into a store to try stuff or are you just guessing around? If you mentioned it before I didn't see it.

I mean they clearly aren't hurting for sales of their limited seconds supply. It is already not a public list in that you have to request access to it to begin with. Making you purchase a single pair of shoes before you have access to that and rare shell doesn't seem like a big deal. Other retailers throw you on a list which could be quite a long wait while others require many purchases just to be considered. They aren't AE, it isn't a super high volume of seconds that go out from what I've seen.
It looks like as soon as you create an account you get the 100 points needed for access anyway. If they'd started it a few weeks ago I'd have a good amount of points from my Ravello boots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads