• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AS lasted trees. Have you had luck with yours? I have an issue with mine, where the metal hardware is extruding from the side. I tried pushing it back with a screwdriver, however it popped out again when inserting the tree. Have you ever experienced the same? How do you fix these things? Any help is tremendously appreciated as I don’t want to tear up the lining.

View attachment 1712511 View attachment 1712510

I've got two pairs of lasted AS trees and haven't experienced that. I wish I had enough for each of my shoes, but generic trees will have to do for the rest.

Resoling

Reaction score
Besides pediwear, who else is gonna be selling paul sargent shoes?

Thanks!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Likely of interest for some, 50 pairs of subs bought from the liquidation available on Abbot's Shoes:

Last edited:

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AS lasted trees. Have you had luck with yours? I have an issue with mine, where the metal hardware is extruding from the side. I tried pushing it back with a screwdriver, however it popped out again when inserting the tree. Have you ever experienced the same? How do you fix these things? Any help is tremendously appreciated as I don’t want to tear up the lining.

View attachment 1712511 View attachment 1712510
Hi, we experienced this from time to time too, best is to use some wood glue into the hole and push the metal bar back in to a safe location. The advantage of wood glue is that you can gently sand off any excess if needs be. Hope this helps.

Bien

Reaction score
Looking forward to Paul Sargent’s new venture, I was so intrigued I just had to pull the trigger: Good as new Alfred Sargent Exclusive Line ‘Ramsey’ on the 99 last in UK 6.5, from UK based pre-worn shop Abbot’s Shoes.

I’m only used to the 87 in UK 6, so I was surprised to find the 99 last extraordinarily, incredibly snug even when half a size larger. With effort these will break in nicely and be super comfortable after a few months ?

View attachment 1604915

I am very impressed of the stitch density, counting a breathtaking 10 spi on the welt, and an amazingly tight waist for a quality dress shoe in this price segment.

View attachment 1604916

Can’t wait to see what Paul Sargent & Co. is up to ?

Edit. PS. Does anyone know what tannery AS bought their leather uppers from for this serie of Exclusive Line shoes?

G'day Sir! May i ask regarding the 87 last, is it true to size? Or should I size down half?

Thanks

Bien

Reaction score
Help with sizing please,

I am 6.5 UK in most Tricker's last.

Can I go with AS 87 last, same 6.5 UK?

Thank you

Resoling

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the last "53F" compares with "724F" ?
which one is roomier width-wise ?

Thanks

monkey66

Reaction score
Picked up this Centenary edition pair of Bloomsburys on eBay.
I believe these are the Centenary edition that would place them 1999'ish. The condition is really good I gave them a bit of a condition and polish. They have covert welt and some nice nail-work on the heel. They appeared to have a lot of burgundy wax that Revenature removed a little, I suspect the original shade was more Mahogany/chestnut but I love the patina and depending on the light they are either burgundy or brown. The leather is soft, no blemishes and a really good fit for me.

I get pleasure from giving these old items a new lease of life.

Full outfit here.

2021-12-09 08.24.51 copy.jpg

2021-12-09 08.21.47.jpg

2021-12-09 08.21.39 copy.jpg

2021-12-09 08.24.19 copy.jpg

P1020086 copy.jpg

brotherender

Reaction score
Gentlemen, let me share some reflections with you. Alfred Sargent brand is no longer alive the way it used to be. It belongs to someone else than the team that has been producing the shoes for decades.

I've been thinking: isn't it best to send our energy here where it belongs, which is Paul Sargent's SF thread >>HERE<<? They keep producing the same shoes, the knowledge is there just as are the lasts and the team. It's all there, just under a different brand name, Paul Sargent Shoes. I believe they deserve our interest going there more rather than lingering here as they're trying hard to re-establish their position to be able to supply us with fantastic shoes. And to do that they need the market to understand the shift and its consequences (including the ensuing name change), as parts of the market are still confused by the transition. In short they need the market to understand that THE Sargent shoes = Paul Sargent Shoes.

Meanwhile, the venerable AS brand name has remained merely that - a name and nothing more. It still appears on their owner's website in reference to the production Paul's team did for them before January 2021. But that period is over and if we like the shoes that Paul's team has produced over the years and want them to keep going after the turmoil, it's time for us to move on as well and show the rest the right path.

What we can do is to direct our interest where it belongs, which is not in this particular thread anymore. I know it's a change but Paul's company will not be helped if we cannot dissociate ourselves from the old name. I hope that what I've written makes sense and hope to see you in the abovementioned thread as I am going to unwatch this one.

Last edited:

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, let me share some reflections with you. Alfred Sargent brand is no longer alive as it used to be. It belongs to someone else than the team that has been producing the shoes for decades.

I've been thinking: isn't it best to send our energy here to where it belongs, which is Paul Sargent's SF thread >>HERE<<? They keep producing the same shoes, the knowledge is there just as are the lasts and the team. It's all there, just under a different brand name, Paul Sargent Shoes. I believe they deserve our interest going there more rather than lingering here as they're trying hard to re-establish their position to be able to supply us with fantastic shoes. And to do that they need the market to understand the shift and its consequences (including the ensuing name change), as parts of the market are still confused by the transition. In short they need the market to understand that THE Sargent shoes = Paul Sargent Shoes.

Meanwhile, the venerable AS brand name has remained merely that - a name and nothing more. It still appears on their owner's website in reference to the production Paul's team did for them before January 2021. But that period is over and if we like the shoes that Paul's team has produced over the years and want them to keep going after the turmoil, it's time for us to move on as well and show the rest the right path.

What we can do is to direct our interest where it belongs, which is not in this particular thread anymore. I know it's a change but Paul's company will not be helped if we cannot dissociate ourselves from the old name. I hope that what I've written makes sense and hope to see you in the abovementioned thread as I am going to unwatch this one.
:cheers:

I hope the best for Mr Sargent's biz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads