• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

➲ 2012 SEPTEMBER NO PURCHASE CLUB

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another maintenance job:

I've also totally reorganized my closet and found a few old shirts which are now at the tailor that never quite fit right.

The jeans put me out of the contest but I am with you in spirit.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resisted the urge to buy a few things tonight, usually the danger time when I buy without thinking clearly.

Did buy a Dupont Ligne 8 today (no zing :butbut: but at VentePrivee's price it was worth a flier) but that isn't technically a clothing related item?

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the Dr and I need eye glasses. Not a frivolous unnecessary purchase in my book. What do the folks of this forum have to say?
Will the $100 emergency fund cover your out-of-pocket expenses? If not, you may want to hold off until October (j/k).

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will the $100 emergency fund cover your out-of-pocket expenses? If not, you may want to hold off until October (j/k).

It's all out of pocket and then we bill insurance. So yea...can't wait another day, getting headaches from this ****

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

damnit failed again. I think i've failed every month

What did you buy? and how much was spent please?
Also, do not stop on the challenge! Stay on target and keep trying until the end of the month please :)

This goes for everyone. Please report all spending and the amount(s) but continue the challenge to the best of your abilities.

I got through the weekend fine. No spending. I had a leaking roof to contend with though...grr.

Last edited:

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been a lot harder than I thought it was going to be...

How about a pair of nylon watch bands? Would that be cheating? Have not yet pulled the trigger, but hoping you will throw me a bone here!

AHS

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I bought an item in August that I may be returning. If so I will get a refund of $200. Can I spend that in September? If the judges deem that I must still abstain until October I might come out ahead this month!

Stay strong fellas. We're a third of the way through now.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Failed today with Thom Browne on myhabit, couldn't turn down striped blue shirts and white shirts for cheap. Total damage was $332, including a shirt for my brother.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This has been a lot harder than I thought it was going to be...
How about a pair of nylon watch bands? Would that be cheating? Have not yet pulled the trigger, but hoping you will throw me a bone here!
AHS

It will be cheating, though I would be really interested in how you will now deem this an emergency.

I bought an item in August that I may be returning. If so I will get a refund of $200. Can I spend that in September? If the judges deem that I must still abstain until October I might come out ahead this month!
Stay strong fellas. We're a third of the way through now.

No you may not spent it.

Failed today with Thom Browne on myhabit, couldn't turn down striped blue shirts and white shirts for cheap. Total damage was $332, including a shirt for my brother.

What? WHAT? Oh my. Photos please, because 6 months from now I want you to come back to this thread and ask yourself if it was worth it.

You guys need to toughen up and buckle down here. Seriously, if we were all going to climb Mt Everest together your bodies would clutter up Base camp. Please be strong. We are not even half way yet. No more spending!

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What? WHAT? Oh my. Photos please, because 6 months from now I want you to come back to this thread and ask yourself if it was worth it.
You guys need to toughen up and buckle down here. Seriously, if we were all going to climb Mt Everest together your bodies would clutter up Base camp. Please be strong. We are not even half way yet. No more spending!

No it's not worth it, but am still building through the wardrobe at 22, if I had all the stuff you had I'd definitely not have bought. Been slimming down a lot though but yes I should have held off

habanos

Reaction score
Well the month is half over so I decided to check on everyone. I have not done any maintenance this week but I still have not purchased any clothes. How is everyone? No temptations lately? I myself live in BFE so it is not like I drive by Crockett and Jones everyday. Hell I am 2 hours from Hugo Boss to put it into perspective.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
15 days (and counting...) and I am still in.

But this has been much harder than I thought it would be. I am seriously experiening classic / typical signs of withdrawal.

AHS

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atta boy AHS. One thing you may want to try....wear your worst clothes & shoes for the rest of the month. That way, when the challenge is over, go back to your better stuff and you'll feel like you just went shopping. :)

Holding rock firm over here....have sewn many buttons, lotioned many many shoes and my SO's handbags. I freely admit to surfing and drooling over things I would like to buy but so far have not weakened. Hope you are all getting through this ok. We haven't heard from several of our members of late so please ring in with updates!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads