• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

SimonSays

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xCrunchx
louis_vuitton_ss11_hair.jpg

I like the shape of those hairstyles but can't help but think they look too Johnny Bravo-ish. Looking at the bottom right one, how would it look if I wore that but without the same kind of plastic-y looking hair products??

transient

Reaction score
Alright, so here's my usual routine; shower, blow dry, straighten, apply product. When my stylist does this after a cut she makes it look amazing, I've been trying for some time and get pretty mediocre results. I've gotten using the straightener down but applying the wax is not giving me the results I want. But here's the thing--if I shower the night before and straighten/product in the morning it looks fantastic. Especially straightening hair that hasn't been washed makes it look pretty badass. Anyone have any advice? I've been keeping my hair medium length and short on the sides and back. And I use no shine osmo essence wax.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by transient
Alright, so here's my usual routine; shower, blow dry, straighten, apply product. When my stylist does this after a cut she makes it look amazing, I've been trying for some time and get pretty mediocre results. I've gotten using the straightener down but applying the wax is not giving me the results I want. But here's the thing--if I shower the night before and straighten/product in the morning it looks fantastic. Especially straightening hair that hasn't been washed makes it look pretty badass. Anyone have any advice? I've been keeping my hair medium length and short on the sides and back. And I use no shine osmo essence wax.

You can try Jonathan Antin Dirt, which emulates the "day after washing" condition of clean hair.

Mess

Reaction score
Only just noticed this thread whoops! I posted a thread asking about hair a couple of moments ago.

Anyway what I am looking for is a product to create the sort of hold and finish shown in this photo:
Justin-Hopwood-Emily-Didonato-for-Polo-Jeans-Fall-2010-MaleModelSceneNet-04.jpg

Any tips on how to create it would be a good help as well.

Last edited:

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
/\ The stylist on the photo shoot used a large amount of hair spray from a pump bottle and then brushed it into place as it dried. It doesn't look stiff because of the softening nature of the camera/angles/post processing. His hair highlights are a big factor in creating a look of texture and layers on top.

A clay based hair product will give you something similar, although you still might need to finish the look off with some squirts from a hairspray bottle.

Last edited:

Reaction score
willpower,

is this style highly dependent on natural texture of hair?

about_a_boy_will.jpg

A+single+man+-+about+a+boy.jpg

6883.gif

how to cut and grow? what product? hugh grant's btw not the boy's haha

Last edited:

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how to cut and grow? what product? hugh grant's btw not the boy's haha

This should be an easy cut for a stylist to duplicate. Don't go to a regular barber. Show the stylist the pictures you posted - doing so will ensure you get what you expected. That's always the most important thing to do, and the stylist will be able to recommend the necessary hair products to look like the pics.

http://www.shanghaidiaries.com/archives/2003/02/23/ill_have_the_hugh_grant_please/

http://www.thehairstyler.com/celebrity-hairstyles/hugh-grant

http://www.georgecaroll.com/male stars/hughgrant/hughgrant1.htm

Last edited:

Mess

Reaction score

/\ The stylist on the photo shoot used a large amount of hair spray from a pump bottle and then brushed it into place as it dried. It doesn't look stiff because of the softening nature of the camera/angles/post processing. His hair highlights are a big factor in creating a look of texture and layers on top.

A clay based hair product will give you something similar, although you still might need to finish the look off with some squirts from a hairspray bottle.

Thanks for the reply.

The picture I posted wouldn't require a special cut I imagine? Just a standard cut at a barbers would do it fine? (A good barbers I must add).

My hair is a very dark brown and I would like it to rest in a messy and natural way, much like the photo. Apart from hairspray and the product is there any other techniques I should use? Blow-drying? Not shampooing and conditioning everyday. And so on?

Reaction score

This should be an easy cut for a stylist to duplicate. Don't go to a regular barber. Show the stylist the pictures you posted - doing so will ensure you get what you expected. That's always the most important thing to do, and the stylist will be able to recommend the necessary hair products to look like the pics.

http://www.shanghaidiaries.com/archives/2003/02/23/ill_have_the_hugh_grant_please/

http://www.thehairstyler.com/celebrity-hairstyles/hugh-grant

http://www.georgecaroll.com/male stars/hughgrant/hughgrant1.htm

haha tnx i didn't know other dudes asked for the "hugh grant in about a boy" too! :slayer:

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply.

The picture I posted wouldn't require a special cut I imagine? Just a standard cut at a barbers would do it fine? (A good barbers I must add).

My hair is a very dark brown and I would like it to rest in a messy and natural way, much like the photo. Apart from hairspray and the product is there any other techniques I should use? Blow-drying? Not shampooing and conditioning everyday. And so on?

It's up to you whether you want to go the barber route or the stylist. I guess I'm not into taking chances when it comes to haircuts. I've learned the hard way. Whatever you do, show him/her the picture. Point out any details you want them to notice.

The reason why you even see texture on the top is because of his duo-tone colored hair. If you don't share the same shades, your own hair won't look nearly as pronounced. Just prepare yourself that it isn't going to look quite the same. You can get some highlights put in and it will look more like his - if you do that make sure you only go a few shades lighter than your normal hair. People go too blond when it comes to highlights and it ends up looking fake. You can alternately get lowlights, which means pieces of your hair are dyed darker than your normal hair shade. This tends to look more natural.

Blow dry or not, brushes vs using your fingers, it's all experimentation. As far as product, it really depends on your own hair characteristics. Washing your hair every day isn't a good idea, although if you put product in your hair you don't have much choice. You can do "Co-Washing" (look it up on youtube). It's basically using conditioner in place of shampoo and combing it through your hair in the shower. The combing creates friction which removes the dirt. Then you rinse for a few minutes to remove the remaining conditioner. You can try no shine (matte finish) styling clay or styling wax to get the top to fluff up and layer. And you might have to finalize it with a shot or two of hairspray to keep it in place. If you prefer the look of your hair the day after washing it, try Jonathan Antin Dirt which makes your hair look slightly...dirty. However, Dirt doesn't do any sort of molding like clay or wax do so it isn't a replacement but rather an adjunct.

You can learn a lot about modern cuts and how to style your hair with products from this guy's youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/mhrrasmus This video shows what highlights/lowlights can do to perceived hair layering/texture

Last edited:

45elkton

Reaction score
Moving to NYC, any recommendations for a barber/stylist? Current hairstyle doesn't require much work but I'm planning to transition to a longer style on top while keeping the sides fairly short and it sounds simple but I need someone that listens.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What should I do with my hair? It's too long now. I'm not a huge fan of either. I've been trying growing out my hair for 7 months now with only a few trims. I've never done that and I've gotten some good comments, but it just doesn't seem great.

Here are some pics:

1 year ago (I'm not growing back the long facial stubble, although I like the look.):

4 weeks ago:

Last edited:

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey all,

Looking for some short summertime styles that would suit me well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42895731@N08/5959429870

Have at it.
It's so short already, what's left to cut? Unless you want the Beckham Buzz, there's not many places to go. Maybe some facial hair? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KvKShc-eI..._JxC7yD8at0/s640-R/david_beckham1_300_400.jpg Perhaps a version of this - shaved on the sides
What should I do with my hair? It's too long now. I'm not a huge fan of either. I've been trying growing out my hair for 7 months now with only a few trims. I've never done that and I've gotten some good comments, but it just doesn't seem great.
Google for pics of Bradley Whitford. He has a similar hair type as yours. http://download-west-wing-episodes.edogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/west.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads