• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

sexandcandy

Reaction score
this thread was not laker-centric simply because of 1 2 or even 3 posters. it was pretty much everyone. and it didn't help that since the start of the season all Steve B would do was pop in to post anti-Laker stuff that made no sense just to rile people up.

it "picked up after the lakers got eliminated" because casual basketball fans who only watch a few TNT games through the season and then 'religiously' in the playoffs decided to chime in with their 'expert' analysis.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexandcandy
this thread was not laker-centric simply because of 1 2 or even 3 posters. it was pretty much everyone. and it didn't help that since the start of the season all Steve B would do was pop in to post anti-Laker stuff that made no sense just to rile people up.

it "picked up after the lakers got eliminated" because casual basketball fans who only watch a few TNT games through the season and then 'religiously' in the playoffs decided to chime in with their 'expert' analysis.

^ the reason why lebron lost is because his mom didn't hug him enough.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as one of those laker-centric fans, i post on what i'm interested in. which is usually centered around the lakers or who they're playing. this is not a zero-sum thread. anyone else is free to post on their team, too. or nba in general. unless they're a celtics fan.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really don't get it either. People post and talk about the Lakers but instead of others throwing a new subject or talk about a different team/player, they would rather bash on the Laker fans and when it escalates to more Lakers talk people get even more mad.
lol8[1].gif

It's just like when we were talking about the fantasy league, people were getting mad but no one else wanted to talk.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
as one of those laker-centric fans, i post on what i'm interested in. which is usually centered around the lakers or who they're playing. this is not a zero-sum thread. anyone else is free to post on their team, too. or nba in general. unless they're a celtics fan.

whaaat? the C's are going to trade for monet ellis and put him into the 2nd unit... he'l be the C's "Jason Terry", only more tattooed, a lot crazier, and lot worse at scooter riding.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I have officially shut up about Dirk.

We'll see about Kobe.

Being the only regular Spurs Fan who posts here, I am/was constantly subjected to abuse by Laker fans.

I was only fighting back.

However, I've had the last word.

Or rather 2 words. They are:

Mike

Brown

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I have officially shut up about Dirk.

We'll see about Kobe.

Let's be honest now, what could Kobe possibly do to redeem himself in your eyes?
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Being the only regular Spurs Fan who posts here, I am/was constantly subjected to abuse by Laker fans.

I was only fighting back.

Such a lie.
crackup[1].gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I really wish Rubio would just come and play in the nba. I'm tired of occasionally hearing about him, remembering the potential from 3 years ago and wondering. I hope he just makes a 1year run at it. Would be cool if he could do his contract with a clause allowing him to return to Europe after his first season if he wanted. Though he has been far from godlike overseas since the draft anyways from what i hear

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I really don't get it either. .

What's to get? All the talk was about the Lakers and non-Lakers fans weren't interested. I don't see why it's something for either side to get pissy about.

I watched about 60 regular season nba games this year so it's not like I just got into basketball a month ago.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really don't get it either. People post and talk about the Lakers but instead of others throwing a new subject or talk about a different team/player, they would rather bash on the Laker fans and when it escalates to more Lakers talk people get even more mad.
lol8[1].gif
It's just like when we were talking about the fantasy league, people were getting mad but no one else wanted to talk.

Wait what? I haven't bashed anyone. Some child came in and started whining about people who started posting and strongly implied that if you didn't post in this thread since the beginning it's proof that you're not a basketball fan. Now, I haven't responded generally to any of that sort of childish passive aggressive nonsense because it really didn't deserve it. That said, I check out lots of threads on this site. If there is a discussion I'm interested in, I'll join it. If I'm not, I won't. Every time I checked in on this thread, my perception was that it was highly Laker centric. Could I have jumped in and talked about other things? I could have, but chose not to mainly because I got the sense I would be either talking to myself or arguing about the Lakers. Who needs that? Once I did start posting, then I had children trying to troll me about how I'm not a real fan. The same children who's primary contribution to the thread seems to be licking Kobe's ass. I'm no Steve B. I think Kobe is a great player I love watching him play and think he's one of the greatest ever, but if we're just going to sit around and lick his ass, I'm out and I'm just not that interested enough to butt my way into someone else's circle jerk. Again, I'm not saying never talk about the Lakers. I'm saying that the perception among a number of folks is that this had turned primarily into a Laker-centric thread. It doesn't help that perception that now certain childish Laker fans are trying to run everyone else off. I'm just not interested in that, which is not the same as saying that I'm not interested in the NBA. I understand that certain children in the thread can't follow that sort of logic but I'm not really that interested in conversing with children about the NBA in any case. For the record, when I refer to the children in the thread, I'm not talking about you or foodguy whose posts I really enjoy reading.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ ^ ^ Please stop and read the following. If you weren't what I described in that post, then it doesn't pertain to you.
Originally Posted by munchausen
What's to get? All the talk was about the Lakers and non-Lakers fans weren't interested. I don't see why it's something for either side to get pissy about. I watched about 60 regular season nba games this year so it's not like I just got into basketball a month ago.
What I don't get is why not start a new conversation? I mean yah the conversations were about the Lakers but to hate and complain that all that is talked about is the Lakers. I'm not talking about the people who just came alive during the playoffs, I'm talking about the people who has been talking trash to the Lakers and the Lakers fan all season. We weren't keeping anyone from discussing any other teams or players but instead of them just going off on a new subject, they'd rather bash on the Lakers and how Laker oriented the thread has become. Someone even took the time and effort to make a new thread for all the Lakers talk. I just don't get it, do they want me to start a conversation that would interest them so that I could entertain them? I mean seriously, what do those guys expect?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I don't get is why not start a new conversation? I mean yah the conversations were about the Lakers but to hate and complain that all that is talked about is the Lakers.

I'm not talking about the people who just came alive during the playoffs, I'm talking about the people who has been talking trash to the Lakers and the Lakers fan all season. We weren't keeping anyone from discussing any other teams or players but instead of them just going off on a new subject, they'd rather bash on the Lakers and how Laker oriented the thread has become. Someone even took the time and effort to make a new thread for all the Lakers talk.

I just don't get it, do they want me to start a conversation that would interest them so that I could entertain them? I mean seriously, what do those guys expect?

I'm not really. Mark basically covered it but I was taking offense at the suggestion that we didn't post here because we weren't "real" basketball fans. I figure there are plenty of things to talk about on the internet and plenty of time to talk about basketball in real life and if the topics in this thread aren't interesting to me then I will move on. If the NFL thread was all about the Patriots then I probably wouldn't post there either.

If you're lumping me in with a bunch of people complaining about the Lakers talk then I think you've got me wrong.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly. I'm not complaining about Laker talk. That would be stupid. I don't hate anyone for what they talk about. We all talk about what we're interested in. People who are either fans of or who hate the Lakers will naturally talk about them most. I have no issue at all with that, I just don't choose to participate any more than I choose to participate in the SW&D forum. That doesn't mean that I have any hate, it just doesn't interest me.

Once I started seeing playoff conversations in here that I was interested in, I started participating. That's it. In other parts of the forum people welcome new participation. In this thread, certain regular posters engaged me and we had a good conversations. Certain children in the thread just wanted to troll me and...whatever. In the words of LeBron I suppose he'll wake up tomorrow with all of his same problems.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
I'm not really. Mark basically covered it but I was taking offense at the suggestion that we didn't post here because we weren't "real" basketball fans. I figure there are plenty of things to talk about on the internet and plenty of time to talk about basketball in real life and if the topics in this thread aren't interesting to me then I will move on. If the NFL thread was all about the Patriots then I probably wouldn't post there either.

If you're lumping me in with a bunch of people complaining about the Lakers talk then I think you've got me wrong.

*sigh*

How did I lump you with the others though? I never mentioned names or even quoted you. Read my post again, if you didn't hate on the Lakers or talked trash about all the Laker talk, then you weren't the ones I was talking about.

Again, read all my posts, unless you were Steve B., chances are I never called you a "fake" sports fan.

Simple as that.

But back to the point though, again if you weren't one of the people that complained then this doesn't pertain to you, but like you and Mark and a bunch of others, you'd only talk about your interests. So if Lakers love and Lebron hate is what I like to talk about then I'm not going to start talking about anything else just to get more people to talk. The hell am I suppose to know what others like? Feel free to post anything that relates to the thread and you'll get opinions on it, I got no problem with that. Just don't be mad if the topic stays on one subject but have not done anything about it except whine and complain. If this isn't/wasn't you that did it, then don't be mad.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads