NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Howard said he doesn't want to go. I know, we've heard that before, but still.

Seems contradicting new today. First he says he wants to be a Laker, then some reports are saying he doesn't want to sign the extension in Orlando, then later on he says he only wants to stay in Orlando.

People saying that he just wants to be like Shaq might just prevent him from going to LA but we shall see.

2. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

But he also said he's not signing an extension unless they win the championship.

No way Orlando sits on him and get nothing for him.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

If that trade were to happen and the Lakers get Howard and lose Walton, even with Arenas that is a good trade. Huge advantage for the Lakers to have Pau and Dwight in the paint dawg. If the second trade happens and Anderson comes off the Lakers bench to replace Odom, that is a bigger advantage for the Lakers since he can shoot from the outside and rebound, not as well as Odom but he can get average 6-8 with consistent minutes.

with advanced stats being so successfully implemented this finals by the Mavs (rick Carlisle staff and cuban) I don't think Orlando trades into a situation that results in a 7 loss outcome.

with a straight up bynum for dwight trade (trade machine friendly) its even worse with a -9 win outcome.

fact in its lebron and d. howard who are probably the most statistically significant players in the league.... a more reasonable trade would actually be a straight up D. howard for Lebron for an inter florida intergalactic blockbuster trade.

that trade almost seems fair on both sides.

4. venessian

venessian Senior member

If that trade were to happen and the Lakers get Howard and lose Walton, even with Arenas that is a good trade. Huge advantage for the Lakers to have Pau and Dwight in the paint dawg. If the second trade happens and Anderson comes off the Lakers bench to replace Odom, that is a bigger advantage for the Lakers since he can shoot from the outside and rebound, not as well as Odom but he can get average 6-8 with consistent minutes.
    It doesn't make sense to me. I don't think Arenas is worth it, esp. losing Odom. Arenas is on the downside of his career and isn't the PG they need. I just don't see the Lakers losing Bynum and Odom to get Howard, a headache Arenas and even Anderson.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It doesn't make sense to me. I don't think Arenas is worth it, esp. losing Odom. Arenas is on the downside of his career and isn't the PG they need. I just don't see the Lakers losing Bynum and Odom to get Howard, a headache Arenas and even Anderson.
    The upside is Howard and the you want in your team. Then getting rid of Walton and if possible get Anderson as a good off the bench back-up who can consistently hit the 3. Odom won't matter much since Howard can absorb the rebounds plus he isn't injury prone like Bynum. Arenas is on he downside of his career but he can still play decent, like I said before, can he be worse than Blake this season? I was a Blake believer when they got him but he just hasn't shown anything worth that $5 mil. Fisher is also on the downside. The Lakers can't really afford or get a young up and coming PG and trading Bynum for a good PG is a mistake because they'd lose their biggest asset, their length. Arenas will do well as a back-up, then once his and Kobes contract expires, they get a lot of money to throw on their next franchise player.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    nah. there's not that much advantage to having the best center rather than the second-best center. and i don't think blake is a bad player. just had a bad second half. one thing to remember: next year's Lakers are going to be running an entirely different offensive set.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

nah. there's not that much advantage to having the best center rather than the second-best center. and i don't think blake is a bad player. just had a bad second half.

Injuries and being a knucklehead who gets pissed and hurts people are all liabilities the "second" best center in the game over the "best". No matter how you look at it, Howard > Bynum and there is almost no way you would choose Bynum over Howard in almost any situation. People may say "but hey, Bynum would average the same as Howard if he had more minutes" but again his minutes are down because of his injuries. He is young but he is also a center and his injuries are his knees and centers have a hard time recovering from that so he will always be a liability.

Blake is a good player but he didn't play good almost the entire season. I was expecting him to hit open 3's like he did in Portland but he was too inconsistent. Shot a measley 36 fg% too. He just didn't do what the Lakers expected of him like operate the triangle and over take Fisher in the line-up but it didn't happen.

one thing to remember: next year's Lakers are going to be running an entirely different offensive set.
    What offense? It ain't going to come from Brown that's for sure. [​IMG]

8. venessian

venessian Senior member

Sure Howard alone is better than Bynum, and Brown would no doubt love Howard. But losing Bynum + Odom and getting Arenas' fat contract for Howard is something I can't see Kupchak going for. If the Magic really want to unload Howard before he goes free I think teams can reject Arenas.

I'll be interested to see if Kupchak-Rambis deal, with all the PGs Minnesota now has. But I'd still love to see Jrue Holliday come to LA.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I agree that losing Odom would suck but you have to look at it as a whole, not just Odom + Bynum for Howard + Arenas & his contract. You got to consider Anderson to the Lakers and Walton being gone, that is $6 mil that just sits on the bench. And again, Howard and his durability is a big plus, just sick and tired of Bynum getting hurt all the damn time and his minutes being so limited due to those injuries. I think a rotation of Anderson + Howard + Pau is slightly better than Bynum + Pau + Odom for the simple fact that you'll get more minutes from Howard. With Bynum, once he goes down you are down to lack of bench production again when moving Odom to the starting 5.

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I liked this best:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

fact in its lebron and d. howard who are probably the most statistically significant players in the league.... a more reasonable trade would actually be a straight up D. howard for Lebron for an inter florida intergalactic blockbuster trade.

that trade almost seems fair on both sides.

A Lebron and Howard trade just won't happen. People needs to give Miami some credit for what they have done in the first year of the mÃ[​IMG]nage a trois. I honestly didn't think they'd mesh so well so quickly and be the defending beast that they have become. That is pretty impressive no matter how you look at it. Having 2 Superstars, 1 Allstar plus a bunch of scrubs and hurt scrubs at that (Miller, Haslem, etc...) and they manage to get this far is a feat in itself. This off-season, they just need better role players and chances are they'd win a chip in the next 3-4 years.

Plus Howard doesn't seem to get along too well with Lebron and Wade, that's what it seemed like in the ASG this year.

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I liked this best:

insightful. And sobering....

13. venessian

venessian Senior member

I liked this best:
    Pretty good. Damn, Robert Horry's daughter died today. 17 years old. I remember a really touching piece that was done about her with him and his wife when he was in LA. Tragic. [​IMG]

14. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I liked this best:

Just made this my status on Facebook.

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

that vid is hilarious

Pretty good.
    Damn, Robert Horry's daughter died today. 17 years old. I remember a really touching piece that was done about her with him and his wife when he was in LA. Tragic. [​IMG]

So sad, love horry.