• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
Those Ravello things look sweet... But I don't know **** about all the options you guys are talking about. Could someone enlighten me? Can also shoot me a PM if that's easier.

well it might better to post here to help educate everyone on the different options

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Those Ravello things look sweet... But I don't know **** about all the options you guys are talking about. Could someone enlighten me? Can also shoot me a PM if that's easier.
The "ravello things" are nice. What do you mean specifically by "options"? Are you talking about the different possible makeups, or the choices on those makeups? Examples of this are types of leathers, welts, eyelets, soles, edge trim choices and color of stitching just to name a few.

Cacatfish

Reaction score
Posted in the other thread already but will reiterate support for Ravello cap toe.
Prefer barrie and actually prefer non punched cap.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which options do you want to know more about? I'd be happy to bring you up to speed.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
shortwing-blucher-5.jpg
mmm

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTYGGG
The "ravello things" are nice. What do you mean specifically by "options"? Are you talking about the different possible makeups, or the choices on those makeups? Examples of this are types of leathers, welts, eyelets, soles, edge trim choices and color of stitching just to name a few.

Well, this actually. There is a lot involved when it comes to "configuration". And I don't know half about it...

For instance, what is a last and what is a Barry? :p

My English is quite good, but this goes beyond the limit of my understanding.

By the way, when I searched for the Ravello on the internet, only some lowtops were shown, not even close to the thing posted in the first post.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this actually. There is a lot involved when it comes to "configuration". And I don't know half about it...

For instance, what is a last and what is a Barry? :p

My English is quite good, but this goes beyond the limit of my understanding.

By the way, when I searched for the Ravello on the internet, only some lowtops were shown, not even close to the thing posted in the first post.

A last is a wooden form that a shoe is built on. It pretty much determines the shape of the shoe, so if you are requesting a specific last, you are requesting a specific shape for your shoe.

"Barrie" is the name of one of the more popular Alden lasts. It is a wider round toe last that looks good on casual boots, and it fits about a half size big compared to your actual foot measurement.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks wheeler, that makes some sense.

So if I interpreted this correctly, a last is somewhat like a sole? Or is it just a form/shape they use in the manufacturing proces, to build the shoe on?

By the way. If I was interested in a Ravello Cap Toe Boot (which I indeed am), what options are on this particular model? For instance the leather and/or colour. Can someone give me a quick resume on the list?

pistolero

Reaction score
Thanks wheeler, that makes some sense.

So if I interpreted this correctly, a last is somewhat like a sole? Or is it just a form/shape they use in the manufacturing proces, to build the shoe on?

By the way. If I was interested in a Ravello Cap Toe Boot (which I indeed am), what options are on this particular model? For instance the leather and/or colour. Can someone give me a quick resume on the list?

Yes the "last" is the shape of the shoe. Alden uses various different lasts, which fit differently. For the "Ravello Cap Toe Boot" we're talking about, the leather is Horween shell cordovan, and Ravello is Alden's term for the color. It's a medium reddish-brown. If you search through the Alden thread, there are lots of pictures of various shoes and boots in Ravello. The options would be which sole, full eyelets vs speedhooks, etc.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks pistolero. I will check out the Alden thread then.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks wheeler, that makes some sense. So if I interpreted this correctly, a last is somewhat like a sole? Or is it just a form/shape they use in the manufacturing proces, to build the shoe on? By the way. If I was interested in a Ravello Cap Toe Boot (which I indeed am), what options are on this particular model? For instance the leather and/or colour. Can someone give me a quick resume on the list?
It's a form that determines the shape of the sole as well as the three-dimensional shape of the upper. Ravello is the name of the color, the material that comes in ravello is called shell cordovan. It's really great stuff, it'll go well with your Momotaros
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads