• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blog Idea: Menswear Anywhere!

DougDevious

Reaction score
Just pitching this here, and seeing if anybody would be interested.

Basically, I have an idea for a blog where I pick apart the costume design in films not typically considered "menswear movies", to see if there's some style inspiration to be gleaned from them and maybe something a bit more eccentric than is typically discussed in "menswear circles".
Partly because I want to give costume designers a little more spotlight, partly because, as someone looking from the outside in, and really detached from the culture surrounding menswear, I wanted to introduce my perspective on things, because the way I see it, discussion of menswear can tend to end up a bit of a "circlejerk" (if you'll pardon the vulgarity), if what I saw on the now-infamous "chelsea boot thread" is anything to go by. I think if more people branched out, and looked for inspiration in places outside of this "circlejerk" that is "classic menswear", then things could really evolve, bringing menswear into the 21st century and finding a new audience with young people, and people who aren't "part of the culture" due to their financial and social background.

Some movies and shows I'm thinking of analyzing are:

• Twin Peaks
  • Classic Doctor Who
  • Modern Doctor Who
  • HBO's Gotham (2014)
  • Wes Anderson Films
  • Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul
  • Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy
  • Fight Club
  • Some late 90s anime (Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star)
Yes, the above list is basically whatever I happen to be watching at the time. If you have any ideas for stuff that has good menswear inspo, please do tell. Alongside my "costume design analysis" I'll also do the occasional editorial about my thoughts on "classic mens style" in the modern era, and what can be done to help it find new audiences.
Would you read a blog like this? I'm not very experienced (I'm 18) and I barely have a wardrobe worth posting pictures of myself, but that hasn't stopped me from developing an encyclopedic, almost autistic visual vocabulary of menswear details and structure, and I don't have money, or a very good chance at getting myself into any fashion design courses at college (at the moment), so doing a blog like this is the only way I can make use of the kind of knowledge I have, perhaps even make money off of it.

Last edited:

mjmyers28

Reaction score
Solid start. Most importantly, you started.

"In doing this, I hope to bring a love for tailoring back to Gen Z, less as an antiquated symbol of affluence and formality and more as a canvas for self-expression, especially among vibrant subcultures and countercultures."

I am having trouble trying to picture Gen Z caring about anything other than bad fashion trends and sneakers, but I hope to God it happens haha!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads