1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by kgmessier, Jun 6, 2011.

1. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

SLAB, I second your desire for cigar shell. I have a ravello captoe in a similar style to the cigar boot pictured (which is indeed lovely). I have been pushing for a wingtip cigar boot in all the same styling as Thor's boot that you posted (i.e. commando sole; full eyelets; antique edge). Aside from KG, no one else has expressed interest. Any interest? If not, I might be convinced to go the jumper boot route in cigar if there is sufficient interest from others.

2. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

agreed, w/ chris and slab...

Why i really want the cigar in captoe than ravello....

3. rkusmant

rkusmant Well-Known Member

I agree that the cigar is very beautiful, I have the Cigar Indy boots from Leffot. I'm really looking forward to the Whiskey Indy, and possiblly Ravello Indy

4. Grainer

Grainer Active Member

It seems that there might be a divide in the ravello cap toe group between those who want a perforated cap versus those who want a plain non-perforated cap. I think the end result makes a pretty big difference in the end product.

As someone who strongly favors the plain cap, I can say that as much as it would pain me, I would not be interested in a boot with a perforated cap. I guess this is purely personal preference, but here is my plea to everyone that I just feel that the plain cap is much cleaner and nicer. I cant explain why but the perforation just changes the whole vibe of the boot in a way I dont like.

5. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

It seems that there might be a divide in the ravello cap toe group between those who want a perforated cap versus those who want a plain non-perforated cap. I think the end result makes a pretty big difference in the end product.

As someone who strongly favors the plain cap, I can say that as much as it would pain me, I would not be interested in a boot with a perforated cap. I guess this is purely personal preference, but here is my plea to everyone that I just feel that the plain cap is much cleaner and nicer. I cant explain why but the perforation just changes the whole vibe of the boot in a way I dont like.

Maybe the solution is to do a plain cap in ravello and a perforated cap/Jumper boot in cigar...would that help?

6. cheesecake

cheesecake Active Member

No, that would not help because those who wanted perf. ravello boots would now have to settle for cigar. It would make more sense if there is a large enough interest to create two different ravello orders; one order with a straight cap toe and the other with a perforated cap toe.

7. Aquaphor

Aquaphor Well-Known Member

let's do the cigar jumper! Barrie or Trubalance??

8. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

let's do the cigar jumper! Barrie or Trubalance??
    One vote for Barrie...I would be interested in Plaza as well if there is a consensus for a sleeker last.

9. rkusmant

rkusmant Well-Known Member

Keith, I guess it's time to tally up the votes for whiskey Indy and Ravello captoe.
    List the most favorite specs on the first post and let's see the changes in the group interest.
    Have you got any confirmation from Kathy or Steven?

10. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

I would assume that kgmessier will put that option up to a vote. I am in a similar situation as you except on the other end of the spectrum. Personally, I like the perforation because it adds a touch of ruggedness to the otherwise dressy cap, which I think will look good on a boot in this last.

I would not be interested in this boot with a plain cap, I just don't personally like the look of plain caps on Barrie-lasted boots, plus I already have a dress shoe in Ravello with a plain cap.

No, that would not help because those who wanted perf. ravello boots would now have to settle for cigar. It would make more sense if there is a large enough interest to create two different ravello orders; one order with a straight cap toe and the other with a perforated cap toe.

That would work as well, hopefully we have enough to do 2 orders so that everyone can be happy.

11. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Well-Known Member

I would interested in Whiskey Indys or better yet Ravello Indys

12. uninkco

uninkco Well-Known Member

interested in the cap toe.

13. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Well-Known Member

+1

I would strongly prefer a plain cap.

I would assume that kgmessier will put that option up to a vote. I am in a similar situation as you except on the other end of the spectrum. Personally, I like the perforation because it adds a touch of ruggedness to the otherwise dressy cap, which I think will look good on a boot in this last.

I would not be interested in this boot with a plain cap, I just don't personally like the look of plain caps on Barrie-lasted boots, plus I already have a dress shoe in Ravello with a plain cap.

That would work as well, hopefully we have enough to do 2 orders so that everyone can be happy.

That's a good potential solution. We can do a Barrie/perforated cap for those who want a more rugged look and a plain cap maybe on the Plaza last for those who want a dressier look. We'll have to see if the numbers can support this though.

14. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Well-Known Member

I like the plain cap because Im basically hoping to reproduce the Tassels boot (pictured page 1) which I just missed out on when it was made. For that reason would also like closed heel instead of 360 welt.
    I dont know that a punched cap would be a deal-breaker though. Hard for me to imagine how it would look.

15. SLAB

SLAB Well-Known Member

Maybe the solution is to do a plain cap in ravello and a perforated cap/Jumper boot in cigar...would that help?

I'd definitely go for the cigar jumper with perforated cap toe instead of the ravello plain toe

barrie last preferably

16. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

Keith, I guess it's time to tally up the votes for whiskey Indy and Ravello captoe.
    List the most favorite specs on the first post and let's see the changes in the group interest.
    Have you got any confirmation from Kathy or Steven?

I agree that it's time to finalize designs. The jury's still out on a couple features. I'll update this thread a little later this morning and get some kind of vote going to solidify the consensus, then will contact Kathy and Steven to see if they can make up these boots.

I'd like to have a third design to put forward to Tom at LS, but there's too much disagreement as to what people want, so that may take a little more time (if we can come up with an agreement at all).

- K

17. kevin r

kevin r Member

I've already expressed my interest in the Ravello Captoe, and consider this one more vote for a close welt... I'd like to mimic the Tassels boot as much as possible. Furthermore, are we certain about no speed hooks? Not a deal breaker for me by any means"”I'll go with the consensus"”but I do prefer having speed hooks.

18. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

I think for the meantime for the ravello and cigar cap toe, we should keep them as one vote...

19. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

We have a few details to iron out regarding MTO01 and MTO02. The fixed features are listed in the initial post. Here are the features yet to be determined for each shoe: MTO01. Whiskey Indy Sole: Commando (C), Oiled Double Leather Waterlock (L), or Either (E) Speed Hooks: Yes (Y), No (N), or Either (E) Stitching: Hand (H), Machine (M), or Either (E) MTO02. Ravello Cap Toe Cap Toe: Plain (PL), Perforated Quarter-Brogue (QB), or Either (E) Hidden Eyelets: Yes (Y), No (N), or Either (E) For those who have access to the Alden MTO spreadsheet, please enter your choice for these features in the appropriate column(s) next to your user name. If you are on the list for either of these shoes and DO NOT have access to the spreadsheet, please PM me your Gmail address so I can give you access and you can enter your choices. (You need a Gmail address to access the spreadsheet.) Please have your choices updated by 3:00 PM EDT this Friday, June 17. I will tally up the votes for each feature, and we should have our final designs determined by then. Sound good? - K

20. darnold

darnold Well-Known Member

Based on conversations I've had with Nate Humble and Jason @ Unionmade, I think you'll be wasting your time (and political capital) with Alden asking for machine stitching on that Indy boot.