• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SLAB, I second your desire for cigar shell. I have a ravello captoe in a similar style to the cigar boot pictured (which is indeed lovely). I have been pushing for a wingtip cigar boot in all the same styling as Thor's boot that you posted (i.e. commando sole; full eyelets; antique edge). Aside from KG, no one else has expressed interest. Any interest? If not, I might be convinced to go the jumper boot route in cigar if there is sufficient interest from others.

triumphman

Reaction score
agreed, w/ chris and slab...

Why i really want the cigar in captoe than ravello....

rkusmant

Reaction score
I agree that the cigar is very beautiful, I have the Cigar Indy boots from Leffot. I'm really looking forward to the Whiskey Indy, and possiblly Ravello Indy

Grainer

Reaction score
It seems that there might be a divide in the ravello cap toe group between those who want a perforated cap versus those who want a plain non-perforated cap. I think the end result makes a pretty big difference in the end product.

As someone who strongly favors the plain cap, I can say that as much as it would pain me, I would not be interested in a boot with a perforated cap. I guess this is purely personal preference, but here is my plea to everyone that I just feel that the plain cap is much cleaner and nicer. I cant explain why but the perforation just changes the whole vibe of the boot in a way I dont like.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grainer
It seems that there might be a divide in the ravello cap toe group between those who want a perforated cap versus those who want a plain non-perforated cap. I think the end result makes a pretty big difference in the end product.

As someone who strongly favors the plain cap, I can say that as much as it would pain me, I would not be interested in a boot with a perforated cap. I guess this is purely personal preference, but here is my plea to everyone that I just feel that the plain cap is much cleaner and nicer. I cant explain why but the perforation just changes the whole vibe of the boot in a way I dont like.

Maybe the solution is to do a plain cap in ravello and a perforated cap/Jumper boot in cigar...would that help?

cheesecake

Reaction score
No, that would not help because those who wanted perf. ravello boots would now have to settle for cigar. It would make more sense if there is a large enough interest to create two different ravello orders; one order with a straight cap toe and the other with a perforated cap toe.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aquaphor
let's do the cigar jumper! Barrie or Trubalance??
One vote for Barrie...I would be interested in Plaza as well if there is a consensus for a sleeker last.

rkusmant

Reaction score
Keith, I guess it's time to tally up the votes for whiskey Indy and Ravello captoe.
List the most favorite specs on the first post and let's see the changes in the group interest.
Have you got any confirmation from Kathy or Steven?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would assume that kgmessier will put that option up to a vote. I am in a similar situation as you except on the other end of the spectrum. Personally, I like the perforation because it adds a touch of ruggedness to the otherwise dressy cap, which I think will look good on a boot in this last.

I would not be interested in this boot with a plain cap, I just don't personally like the look of plain caps on Barrie-lasted boots, plus I already have a dress shoe in Ravello with a plain cap.

Originally Posted by cheesecake
No, that would not help because those who wanted perf. ravello boots would now have to settle for cigar. It would make more sense if there is a large enough interest to create two different ravello orders; one order with a straight cap toe and the other with a perforated cap toe.

That would work as well, hopefully we have enough to do 2 orders so that everyone can be happy.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

I would strongly prefer a plain cap.

Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
I would assume that kgmessier will put that option up to a vote. I am in a similar situation as you except on the other end of the spectrum. Personally, I like the perforation because it adds a touch of ruggedness to the otherwise dressy cap, which I think will look good on a boot in this last.

I would not be interested in this boot with a plain cap, I just don't personally like the look of plain caps on Barrie-lasted boots, plus I already have a dress shoe in Ravello with a plain cap.

That would work as well, hopefully we have enough to do 2 orders so that everyone can be happy.

That's a good potential solution. We can do a Barrie/perforated cap for those who want a more rugged look and a plain cap maybe on the Plaza last for those who want a dressier look. We'll have to see if the numbers can support this though.

Cacatfish

Reaction score
I like the plain cap because Im basically hoping to reproduce the Tassels boot (pictured page 1) which I just missed out on when it was made. For that reason would also like closed heel instead of 360 welt.
I dont know that a punched cap would be a deal-breaker though. Hard for me to imagine how it would look.

SLAB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHRK33
Maybe the solution is to do a plain cap in ravello and a perforated cap/Jumper boot in cigar...would that help?

I'd definitely go for the cigar jumper with perforated cap toe instead of the ravello plain toe

barrie last preferably

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads