1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alden MTO Forum Group Buy

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by kgmessier, Jun 6, 2011.

1. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Definitely still in on Ravello boot, although changing my mind on preference on the welt. Originally thought I wanted the 360 but now think the close welt would look better on this boot. Will still be in either way but...

2. hangten

hangten Senior member

As commodorewheeler said, there has been interest in a cigar shell boot. Since MTO01 and MTO02 are on the more formal side of the design continuum (leather soles, full eyelets, no broguing, etc.), maybe we can come up with a more rugged boot design to suit the other half of the masses"”say, something with a commando sole and speed hooks. Again, this can only work if we come to a consensus. Personally, I'll be pretty flexible in terms of my feature preferences. If you're interested in a cigar shell boot, start listing out your design ideas!

- Keith

Captoe cigar boot on the grant with commando sole and speed hooks [​IMG]

3. hobojones

hobojones Senior member

Guess I'm out for now? Was looking for a boot with a commando sole, I wear through leather soles far too quickly.

4. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

I'm still in, I agree leather sole kind of sucks, but again there's next time for resoling.

If the other jumper boots are in Ravello, I'm in.

5. SLAB

SLAB Senior member

[​IMG]

this is still IMO the ultimate cigar shell rugged boot; i would only change the all eyelets to speedhooks. Commando soles are practical but the heels of the commando sole are not very appealing imo

6. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

just my $.02, but the odds of you ever getting the exact thing you want, when this many variables exist, is pretty low. it will either be a custom makeup with huge upcharge or getting a group of people to absolutely agree with you, which is really hard I can see the lacing being a big deal as that is a functional change that makes a big difference. but opting out b/c of perf cap vs straight cap seems like...well to me that is a "close enough". of course I'm not as particular about small design details as most of you [​IMG]
    You make a good point, and I'd be in agreement with you if this were my first pair of rare shell Aldens, but I've owned enough pairs of rare shell Aldens now so that the only way I would be motivated to pick up more is if I am happy with the design details. I was flexible with all of the other options on this boot when it was first being discussed, but I knew from the outset that I would only stay in if the cap ended up being perforated, and stated so when I first posted my interest in this model.
    For those of you sticking with the designs, thank you! For those of you who have decided to opt out, I can understand and you shouldn't feel bad about it. The next step is for me to find out from potential vendors which of them will be able to put these designs to production, how many orders are needed to make it happen, what the cost is, how payment should be made, and what the estimated delivery date would be. I'll see what I can find out over the coming days. As stated earlier, I'll contact Kathy and Steve first regarding the Indy and cap toe, respectively, then (if necessary) seek out other vendors, including Tom at Leather Soul. As commodorewheeler said, there has been interest in a cigar shell boot. Since MTO01 and MTO02 are on the more formal side of the design continuum (leather soles, full eyelets, no broguing, etc.), maybe we can come up with a more rugged boot design to suit the other half of the masses—say, something with a commando sole and speed hooks. Again, this can only work if we come to a consensus. Personally, I'll be pretty flexible in terms of my feature preferences. If you're interested in a cigar shell boot, start listing out your design ideas! - Keith
    Like several others who have posted recently, I would vote for the design of the cigar shell boot to be a perforated captoe. I am voting for the Grant last on this one, and I am in favor of double leather soles (I've already preordered some cigar shell Indys on a commando sole), though the sole choice would not be a dealbreaker to me. As far as eyelets go, I'm fine with either, though I'd probably go with hidden ones on the double leather sole and exposed ones on the commando sole if I were forced to choose. I would prefer speed hooks, especially if this one ends up being on a commando sole.

7. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Voting for MTO01 and MTO02 is closed. Here are the results:

Whiskey Indy

Commando: 4
    Leather: 10
    \t
    Eyelets: 6
    Hooks: 5
    \t
    Hand: 5
    Machine: 7

Ravello Cap Toe

Plain Cap: 12
    Quarter-Brogue: 7
    \t
    Hidden Eyelets: 5
    Visible Eyelets: 10

I'll update the initial post as well. If you would like to opt out of either of these designs, please let me know ASAP so I can get an accurate final head count.

- Keith

I'm still in on both designs...I'm not going to sweat all the little details. There is really no way to get your dream boot, unless you pay a $200 upcharge and get lucky. My goal is to get a whiskey Indy and a nice ravello cap toe...I hope a retailer is interested in pushing this through. As for the machine stitching on the Indy, that's a moot point from what I remember a big wig at Alden decreed that machine stitching was too uniform when he saw them. Thanks for all the work so far.

8. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Out of curiosity, would it be a deal-breaker for anyone on the Indy list if we couldn't get machine stitching? Seems like a less significant feature relative to some of the others, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

- K

9. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Any interest in a cigar or whiskey wingtip boot in grant or plaza last (but would be open to alternatives other than Barrie) with commando sole. And full eyelets. And antique edge. (basically copying Thor's styling of perforated captoe boot)? Hoping I can drum up some interest for that. I spoke with Mike at Epaulet and he said he would definitely be down for a design if we can agree on a design and have 6-8 folks into it.

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

You make a good point, and I'd be in agreement with you if this were my first pair of rare shell Aldens, but I've owned enough pairs of rare shell Aldens now so that the only way I would be motivated to pick up more is if I am happy with the design details. I was flexible with all of the other options on this boot when it was first being discussed, but I knew from the outset that I would only stay in if the cap ended up being perforated, and stated so when I first posted my interest in this model.

makes total sense, yes

11. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Any interest in a cigar or whiskey wingtip boot in grant or plaza last (but would be open to alternatives other than Barrie) with commando sole. And full eyelets. And antique edge. (basically copying Thor's styling of perforated captoe boot)? Hoping I can drum up some interest for that. I spoke with Mike at Epaulet and he said he would definitely be down for a design if we can agree on a design and have 6-8 folks into it.
    Absolutely. I'd prefer cigar.

12. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

^ I am down with that, KG. Come one, come all. [​IMG]

13. centrix

centrix Senior member

[​IMG]

this is still IMO the ultimate cigar shell rugged boot; i would only change the all eyelets to speedhooks. Commando soles are practical but the heels of the commando sole are not very appealing imo

i would probably be down with something like this with speed hooks instead of eyelets. probably could put me down as a yes if this is coming. need to know how to do sizing tho.

14. ninja07

ninja07 Senior member

Captoe cigar boot on the grant with commando sole and speed hooks [​IMG]

+1 on this

15. Jarndyce

Jarndyce New Member

I'm backing out of the ravello boot with plain toe. If we do a cigar/ravello boot with a punched cap tho, count me back in.

16. QTime

QTime Well-Known Member

whats the price for the mto#1 and #2 upcoming?

17. sazon

sazon Senior member

Out of curiosity, would it be a deal-breaker for anyone on the Indy list if we couldn't get machine stitching? Seems like a less significant feature relative to some of the others, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

- K

Not for me...still would be in.

18. 89826

89826 Senior member

Strongly prefer machine stitching on the Indy. Probably out otherwise.

19. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

For all those members who are interested in machine stitching on the Indy boot here's the back story on why it's no longer available...http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.co...an-vs-machine/

Hopefully this clears up the debate on an option that's not available due to a management decision.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

For all those members who are interested in machine stitching on the Indy boot here's the back story on why it's no longer available...http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.co...an-vs-machine/ Hopefully this clears up the debate on an option that's not available due to a management decision.
    thanks for the link. its an interesting read.