• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

X-Men: FIrst Class (movie thread)

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RFX, I have to ask. In the new movie, is there are a lot of weak attempts at humour?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
lol8[1].gif
Terribad. I honestly have no idea why they keep changing their powers and how they work, it;s like Marvel hates the Summers family because Scott powers were all messed up too. Is it so difficult to keep their powers accurate? I doubt it would change the story much if they can keep the fans happy with this little details, it's like the writers never read the comics before.

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Whoa, whoa. You're wandering into Rambo territory.
teacha.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RFX, I have to ask. In the new movie, is there are a lot of weak attempts at humour?
There were a few but mostly in reference to the first 3 films or the characters itself like Prof X going bald and such. One thing that might bother some is that Prof X is very British/English, I don't really picture as such but I guess it does make some sense.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There were a few but mostly in reference to the first 3 films or the characters itself like Prof X going bald and such.

One thing that might bother some is that Prof X is very British/English, I don't really picture as such but I guess it does make some sense.

I see. I actually like Professor X and Mags being super English. There has to be a certain presence with these two characters and being English helps in that regard I'd say.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I see. I actually like Professor X and Mags being super English. There has to be a certain presence with these two characters and being English helps in that regard I'd say.
+1 Patrick Stewart really made that character his own, and for me at least, his interpretation is now the definitive version across all media, including the books. As it probably is for most audiences. So making him very English and very Patrick Stewart-y in this movie was probably the right move, IMO.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the beginning, I hope this isn't a spoiler but he was more Austin Powers than Patrick Stewart, using the word "groovy" every time he talked. Ok that might be a bit of an exaggeration but it's there. Mcavoys accent is just thicker than Stewarts but it isn't a movie breaker to me.

Fassbender wasn't English (or trying to be) at all. His accents are a bit confusing probably because there are a quite a few German dialogs in the film and that is not something I am too familiar with. Can't help seeing Fassbender as the US officer pretending to be German from Inglorious Basterds too so that probably didn't help. His performance was pretty good though, probably the best, on the same level as Loki in the Thor film.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yah, they killed him, made Jean kill him too. Dude was practically a cry baby through the whole series. Such a shame.

I have a monster man crush on comic book S^2, so the whole X1/X2 Cyclops was kind of painful.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
+1

Patrick Stewart really made that character his own, and for me at least, his interpretation is now the definitive version across all media, including the books. As it probably is for most audiences.

So making him very English and very Patrick Stewart-y in this movie was probably the right move, IMO.

He was very English, but not very Patrick Stewart's version of Charles Xavier. Michael Fassbender, who played Magneto, did a much better job in playing a credible predecessor.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that is SF related, Fassbender/Erik/Magneto was stylin in this movie.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There were a few but mostly in reference to the first 3 films or the characters itself like Prof X going bald and such.

One thing that might bother some is that Prof X is very British/English, I don't really picture as such but I guess it does make some sense.

in hollywood, british accent = smarter character.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Thor was ******* sexy. I don't remember the third movie. Did they really kill Scott? Why the **** would they do that? Scott IS the X-Men. And WTF was up with them dumping Jean before they fleshed out the Phoenix saga?

they killed him off because james marsden was rushing to do superman back then. ******* assholes, all of them.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alot of continuity errors in the movie. Xavier is shown walking in the other x-men and in Wolverine in a flash back/in the 80s time line) Emma Frost is going through a Benjamin Button thing (In Wolverine she was a Kid).

So aside from random continuity errors, it was a decent movie. Good action, good drama etc... I don't appreciate that Xavier and Magneto were only comrades for 10 days. Their relationship was much much more than that and it ruined part of the story and their relationship by going that route.
Should they have completely rebooted? Probably.

I really wish they never screwed up the stories and movies so much.. SO frustrating being afan of the comics and the 90s cartoons as well. They need to make me head writer, director and everything of every Marvel movie.

In the end it felt like I spent 2 hrs to find out how Xavier lost the use of his legs and then realize that the flashbacks in the other movies showed him walking anyway.

Gorthaur Melwasul

Reaction score
I watched it yesterday.
The movie should have been called Erik: first class.
Magneto is a badass with a deep story. We understand now why he's so awesome.
The way he destroyed order following human is both sad and great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads