1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

X-Men: FIrst Class (movie thread)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

With Patrick Stewart being British, I suppose that it helps with the continuity.

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I see. I actually like Professor X and Mags being super English. There has to be a certain presence with these two characters and being English helps in that regard I'd say.
    +1 Patrick Stewart really made that character his own, and for me at least, his interpretation is now the definitive version across all media, including the books. As it probably is for most audiences. So making him very English and very Patrick Stewart-y in this movie was probably the right move, IMO.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

In the beginning, I hope this isn't a spoiler but he was more Austin Powers than Patrick Stewart, using the word "groovy" every time he talked. Ok that might be a bit of an exaggeration but it's there. Mcavoys accent is just thicker than Stewarts but it isn't a movie breaker to me.

Fassbender wasn't English (or trying to be) at all. His accents are a bit confusing probably because there are a quite a few German dialogs in the film and that is not something I am too familiar with. Can't help seeing Fassbender as the US officer pretending to be German from Inglorious Basterds too so that probably didn't help. His performance was pretty good though, probably the best, on the same level as Loki in the Thor film.

4. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

And yah, they killed him, made Jean kill him too. Dude was practically a cry baby through the whole series. Such a shame.

I have a monster man crush on comic book S^2, so the whole X1/X2 Cyclops was kind of painful.

5. AlmostFullBenefits

AlmostFullBenefits Senior member

+1

Patrick Stewart really made that character his own, and for me at least, his interpretation is now the definitive version across all media, including the books. As it probably is for most audiences.

So making him very English and very Patrick Stewart-y in this movie was probably the right move, IMO.

He was very English, but not very Patrick Stewart's version of Charles Xavier. Michael Fassbender, who played Magneto, did a much better job in playing a credible predecessor.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Forgot to mention that is SF related, Fassbender/Erik/Magneto was stylin in this movie.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

There were a few but mostly in reference to the first 3 films or the characters itself like Prof X going bald and such.

One thing that might bother some is that Prof X is very British/English, I don't really picture as such but I guess it does make some sense.

I see. I actually like Professor X and Mags being super English. There has to be a certain presence with these two characters and being English helps in that regard I'd say.

in hollywood, british accent = smarter character.

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Thor was fucking sexy. I don't remember the third movie. Did they really kill Scott? Why the fuck would they do that? Scott IS the X-Men. And WTF was up with them dumping Jean before they fleshed out the Phoenix saga?

they killed him off because james marsden was rushing to do superman back then. fucking assholes, all of them.

9. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Alot of continuity errors in the movie. Xavier is shown walking in the other x-men and in Wolverine in a flash back/in the 80s time line) Emma Frost is going through a Benjamin Button thing (In Wolverine she was a Kid).

So aside from random continuity errors, it was a decent movie. Good action, good drama etc... I don't appreciate that Xavier and Magneto were only comrades for 10 days. Their relationship was much much more than that and it ruined part of the story and their relationship by going that route.
    Should they have completely rebooted? Probably.

I really wish they never screwed up the stories and movies so much.. SO frustrating being afan of the comics and the 90s cartoons as well. They need to make me head writer, director and everything of every Marvel movie.

In the end it felt like I spent 2 hrs to find out how Xavier lost the use of his legs and then realize that the flashbacks in the other movies showed him walking anyway.

10. Gorthaur Melwasul

Gorthaur Melwasul Senior member

I watched it yesterday.
    The movie should have been called Erik: first class.
    Magneto is a badass with a deep story. We understand now why he's so awesome.
    The way he destroyed order following human is both sad and great.

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Saw it yesterday as well and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I liked McAvoy and Fassbender as casting choices and they developed much more chemistry than I expected. All in all it was better than I had hoped.

12. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

I watched it yesterday.
    The movie should have been called Erik: first class.
    Magneto is a badass with a deep story. We understand now why he's so awesome.
    The way he destroyed order following human is both sad and great.

I wiould have prefered this movie. Not that I didn't like it, but I could have done without January Jones, any of the flying characters, and Havok. Would have been better if they cut some of the fat from the story and focused more on Erik/Xavier (who were the best parts of the movie).

13. Gorthaur Melwasul

Gorthaur Melwasul Senior member

Sure, the flying characters are LAME.
    it was fun to watch Xavier's pick up routine..

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Alot of continuity errors in the movie. Xavier is shown walking in the other x-men and in Wolverine in a flash back/in the 80s time line) Emma Frost is going through a Benjamin Button thing (In Wolverine she was a Kid).

IIRC, this is suppose to be a somewhat of a reboot. I might bethinking of another movie though but that would sure help explain the inconsistencies.

When Charles used Cerebro to look for mutants, they showed Scott as practically the same age (or just a couple of years younger) he was in the Wolverine movie.

15. humza

humza Senior member

Awesome movie. The flying characters looked dorky, though. Magneto was so badass!

16. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

How did Jennifer Lawrence's butt look in this movie? Delicious, I hope?

17. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Not a butt shot but pic might still be worth posting for some.
    [​IMG]

18. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Not a butt shot but pic might still be worth posting for some. [​IMG]
    She is so sexy that I want to stick my hard penis into her soft vagina. She has such a wonderful baby-birthin' figure. You just know she is capable of birthing some big, strong heirs to my fortune.

19. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I liked everything that had to do with Charlie and Eric. Everything else kind of blew. The bromance was nailed. I was ready for them to start kissing. Made me warm and cuddly feeling after the bit with the giant dish.

20. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

Just finished seeing it. I'll be honest, I didn't have much hopes going into it, but I actually enjoyed it a lot more. Magneto was definitely my favorite in it, a serious bad ass. The Charles/Erik friendship was done very well. Loved Rose Byrne's first scene [​IMG]