• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by

Looking at that pic of Eccles, Roy, do you remember being at a match and singing:

[I
Who's the b*stard in the big black hat? Copper! Copper!
Who's the b*stard in the big black hat? Copper is his name!
Copper is his name, Copper is his name!
Who's the b*stard in the big black hat? Copper is his name!
[/I]

We did not sing that one MoM, But we did sing one referring to Harry Roberts, Wacky but thats kids for you
laugh.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
We did not sing that one MoM, But we did sing one referring to Harry Roberts, Wacky but thats kids for you
laugh.gif

'Arry Roberts is our friend,
is our friend,
is our friend!
'Arry Roberts is our friend...

bunty

Reaction score
What about 'zigga zagger zigga zagger oi oi oi' ?
laugh.gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
When we're talking football I was wondering about the following: I think it's generally accepted that skinheads started in the East End whereas the North Bank Arsenal was apparently the first skinhead 'end' that was being established a such. Comments?
Not sure that skinheads started in East London, I like to think it was West London
smile.gif
To be honest i do not think anyone knows for certain. One thing.. they began in London. Again not sure that the North Bank Arsenal had the first skinheads on their End, I was never interested in football, and only started to go to Chelsea because of my mates, I started to go 68/69 season by 73 i had been nicked 13 times, 10 of which was related to Football. My mates would get all upset if Chelsea lost, I could never understand this, i just went for the fighting, I enjoyed going all over the Country in a gang of 1000s, for a couple of years the Old Bill got the run around.. they just could not get a grip of the shear scale of the violence. it was a glorious time. Even now at 57 i look back with no regrets, I never hurt anyone who was a innocent or a by stander, The violence was between two consenting supporters. I remember against Arsenal 69/70 season coming out of Chelsea ground, I heard a rumble looking up i saw Thousands of Arsenal coming at us, for a moment we turned to run, but because of shear numbers no one could run so we turned and ran at them, I had a bloke come at me with a axe, he chased me around a parked car, I dived over the car and landed under a Police Horse, and managed to get away. West Ham had a rep at the time, but to me they always looked 3 years older than us, them Men we was just Boys, I saw many a act of bravery which in a Army blokes would have got medals
laugh.gif
When i started work in the building trade, you would get loads of Skinheads on site, training as apprentices, I would work all over London and the City, You would walk on site smart as fcuk, and meet Skinheads from all the football mobs, Although we was enemies we all became firm friends only how teenagers do, One lad a Millwall supporter is a friend to this day, I would often go to Millwall with him and he to Chelsea with me, just for the rucks. By the way i only learned about the Off Side rule in 98 my younger Son explained it to me, It was the first time at Chelsea since 73, I go 3 or 4 times a season these days. I get bored by half time
laugh.gif

bunty

Reaction score
Singing it all the way to Warners Dovercourt Bay when I was 6, with the old man getting lost and arguing with mum....it was funny then!
laugh.gif

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Not sure that skinheads started in East London, I like to think it was West London
smile.gif
To be honest i do not think anyone knows for certain. One thing for certain.. they began in London.

Again not sure that the North Bank Arsenal had the first skinheads on their End

I tend to re-read a thing or two these days and as a result I'll post a few more dubious statements I reckon. There are a lot of things written about skinheads that are more or less taken for granted and I do like you to comment on them because in true life any story is usually a lot more complicated than some would like us to believe...

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Know not all Original Skinheads was into Gangs, Violence or Football, But when you become a gang member you get drawn in, this happened to me.
In the 60s i was sport mad, never could play football, but i did Judo, also i was a Road and Track Racing cyclist.
I was out one night on my bike training, i was riding up Kilburn High Road and was at the lights when a mate from School shouted out to me, He was standing there with three other lads, What you up to Roy, Out training i replied the three others started to laugh, fcuk that John said, Why dont you come around Mikes cafe one night.. we all get in there, ok i said, two days later i walked in that cafe, every seat was taken up with Boys and Girls, the Juke box was playing, it just blew me away, a couple of days later i sold all my bikes that i loved, and became a Gang member within a month i had been Nicked twice.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Know not all Original Skinheads was into Gangs, Violence or Football, But when you become a gang member you get drawn in, this happened to me.
In the 60s i was sport mad, never could play football, but i did Judo, also i was a Road and Track Racing cyclist.
I was out one night on my bike training, i was riding up Kilburn High Road and was at the lights when a mate from School shouted out to me, He was standing there with three other lads, What you up to Roy, Out training i replied the three others started to laugh, fcuk that John said, Why dont you come around Mikes cafe one night.. we all get in there, ok i said, two days later i walked in that cafe, every seat was taken up with Boys and Girls, the Juke box was playing, it just blew me away, a couple of days later i sold all my bikes that i loved, and became a Gang member within a month i had been Nicked twice.

Roy you're just writing the book for us here, you realise that!
smile.gif

bunty

Reaction score
Taken from 'The Ball is Round A Global History of Football' David Goldblatt Oh and in no way is it another Hooligan book..
skins72014.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
Taken from 'The Ball is Round A Global History of Football' David Goldblatt

Oh and in no way is it another Hooligan book..

skins72014.jpg

Date of publication, publisher's name, and page number please bunty. (You'll get used to me asking for that)

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Roy you're just writing the book for us here, you realise that!
smile.gif

laugh.gif
The lad John went on to become part of Ken Livingstone's London Assembly, I was chatting to John a couple of weeks ago how he roped me into the Kilburn Mob
laugh.gif

Alex Roest

Reaction score
When i started work in the building trade, you would get loads of Skinheads on site, training as apprentices, I would work all over London and the City, You would walk on site smart as fcuk, and meet Skinheads from all the football mobs, Although we was enemies we all became firm friends only how teenagers do, One lad a Millwall supporter is a friend to this day, I would often go to Millwall with him and he to Chelsea with me, just for the rucks.

Interesting comments Roy. Just to introduce myself a little bit further I've been interested in skinheads from an early age on, I've never actually been involved in the revival scene though. However, I can remember having read an interview with some original skins and one of them mentioned that during 'the lean years' one would have to travel all across London just to have a drink with fellow skinheads. The next thing he mentioned went something like nowadays they are killing each other over football (i.e. in '80).

Again just a random statement that sprang to mind I thought might be useful in some way...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads