Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

Are the lads by the train (football special) Chelsea supporters? Vaguely remember a caption for it?

Sorry Bunty, I'd seen this pic before but don't know anything about it unfortunately...

2. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

[​IMG]

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

[​IMG] Eccles being arrested I think...
    Danny Artkin[ Eccles] He was the leader of the young Chelsea Shed Boys, and Battersea Mob. Think he got Nicked at Coventry Away 69/70. My mate Gerry H also got Nicked for wreaking the City centre, If i remember 136 Skinheads got nicked that day.. Gerry H who was one of the leaders got £170 fine. a record for that time, even the newspapers said it was harsh, a couple of months later Gerry got nicked again and got 3 months DC, So the fine was quashed. Just to add note the way Danny has his Harrington Bloused around the waist, Thats how we use to wear them.

4. bunty

bunty Senior member

Has this one been posted before BTW? [​IMG]
    The lad at the front has a patch on the right breast of his Levis jacket - is it a Levis patch or a Lambretta sew on one? Only that was a revival thing? So could be late 70's ? BTW Yes that's Danny Eccles getting nicked, seen that great clip of him walking through the crowd looking around and not watching the game at all. Beat me to it Roy!

5. albion

albion Well-Known Member

Phil Taylor, drummer of Motorhead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Alex, Albion, great stuff...

One point for us to remember is that we are going to have to comply with copyright laws in respect of every photo we use for the book. We're going to have to credit the photographer and/or the copyright holder, and we're going to have to get permission. That might mean paying a fee, but we'll see.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Just to add note the way Danny has his Harrington Bloused around the waist, Thats how we use to wear them.

As I recall they used to ride up round our waists anyway, particularly if you tended to stick your hands in the pockets of your Levis.

Looking at that pic of Eccles, Roy, do you remember being at a match and singing:

Who's the b*stard in the big black hat? Copper! Copper!
    Who's the b*stard in the big black hat? Copper is his name!
    Copper is his name, Copper is his name!
    Who's the b*stard in the big black hat? Copper is his name!

8. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

The lad at the front has a patch on the right breast of his Levis jacket - is it a Levis patch or a Lambretta sew on one? Only that was a revival thing? So could be late 70's ?

For some reason I thought it may have been from the early '70's but could very well be wrong...

9. Man-of-Mystery

For some reason I thought it may have been from the early '70's but could very well be wrong...

Could it be an old Wrangler patch, not off jeans but off some other garment? I can't remember them in amber-on-black, but that's not to say they didn't exist.

Alex, there's something about this picture that suggests to me that it isn't from any 'revival' period. These look like 'ordinary' kids, they're not regimented in style, if you see what I mean.

10. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

Alex, there's something about this picture that suggests to me that it isn't from any 'revival' period. These look like 'ordinary' kids, they're not regimented in style, if you see what I mean.

Yeah, good comment M-o-M. That's more or less the impression I got anyway but it's up to you guys to decide on stuff like that. I remain just a humble (and foreign) observer [​IMG]

11. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

When we're talking football I was wondering about the following: I think it's generally accepted that skinheads started in the East End whereas the North Bank Arsenal was apparently the first skinhead 'end' that was being established a such. Comments?

12. Man-of-Mystery

When we're talking football I was wondering about the following: I think it's generally accepted that skinheads started in the East End...

A bit of a sweeping statement, but go on.

whereas the North Bank Arsenal was apparently the first skinhead 'end' that was being established a such. Comments?

There were always 'ends' from way before skinhead, and not just in London. Liverpool had 'The Kop' and 'The Annie Road End', Blackpool had 'Spion Kop' - those are names that go all the way back to the Boer War - Man U had 'The Stretford End', and so on.

Not having any fixed football affiliation while I was in London I went to just about every stadium except Brentford. There were 'ends' while skinhead was developing.

13. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

A bit of a sweeping statement, but go on.

There were always 'ends' from way before skinhead, and not just in London. Liverpool had 'The Kop' and 'The Annie Road End', Blackpool had 'Spion Kop' - those are names that go all the way back to the Boer War - Man U had 'The Stretford End', and so on.

Not having any fixed football affiliation while I was in London I went to just about every stadium except Brentford. There were 'ends' while skinhead was developing.

Bit of a sweeping statement to get the ball rolling. Again, good comments and perhaps some more 'facts' are being disproved like that...

14. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

What sort of cotton is the first shirt? Is it a ready made one?

I suppose it's a poplin fabric. The shirt really is quite humble being a Ben Sherman. The colours really bring it to life. It does have some nice touches like a three button collar and red cotton for the buttons. The sleeves thankfully don't have the little v cut out. Do BS still do that?

15. Man-of-Mystery

I know it's lazy me to ask this (on the other hand I'm still ploughing through page after page of this thread for material) but does anyone have any idea in what magazine the photos below were first published?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]