• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that I am a total opposite in the Class thing.I was Working Class but I went to Private School.My two Sisters did as well.You see,my Father and Mother believed-try and better yourself.So I was not a Skin because of my "Working Class"roots.I wanted to be smart.As with the Jamaican Look,it was copied by white Boys-in the beginning.Blue Beat/Trilby Hats,shorter Trousers,Mohair Suits(Tonik),Cropped Hair with a Parting.I used to see them in Clubs like the Limbo, the Ram Jam etc.Which were predomately West Indian Clubs.I know it could be localised-but to me it was the thing.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
Great stuff on the battle dress, thanks chaps.(On that theme - it was sad Richard Holmes passing away in the week)

mods001.jpg

Brownie, you're not the only one who loved those jackets - That very suede bomber in the photo I wore in the 80's & the fella next to him, in the MA2 leather bomber, I have that jacket (falling apart now) in my wardrobe! And Brixton market sounds about right, the lads went there en masse and every bugger bought one.
laugh.gif
And 1968 is written on the back of this photo too!

Been 'interviewing' again - how about white Levis jeans? Were they widespread too? Summer '68?
And wearing boots with a suit? Ox bloods. Then because of strict door policies wearing shoes again?
And one for Lasttye - Club Noriek!

Good Photo Mate.Brixton Market,in the 60s,was good.Just down the road(underneath the Arches)was Desmonds`Hip Record Centre-where I spent many of my Saturday mornings.
biggrin.gif

Con Seanery

Reaction score
I just wanted to Thank MoM and all other originals/people that are involved with the book project. Keep it rolling, that is great news!

Originally Posted by Get Smart
This weekender in the states might be the greatest single oi show ever, even better than Rebellion or HITS

it'll def be of interest to "new breed" skinheads, esp if you were one in the 80s-90s

2000 Tons of TNT weekender, labour day weekend in Sept. Pete from classic oi band Forced Reality is putting this on, simply mindblowing lineup

Holy mother of god, those lineups are sicker then aids. That is just insane. I cant go, but I pray this means Evil Conduct will play other dates somewhere on the west coast. Oh man alive, I don't even know what to say...

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Boy
why dont we get some pics up of peoples current skin look?

I'm still sorting out my pics from Venice last autumn and thought these might be worth sharing:

Mrs Brideshead had just bought me these new shades
smile.gif

1b_BSGA-1.jpg

Dinner at a local pizzeria
10_WedsDin-1.jpg

Near the public gardens where we found the best food - on the last day!
14_Sat.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead
I'm still sorting out my pics from Venice last autumn and thought these might be worth sharing.

Venice? You're not responsible for this below, by any chance?

Venice2011031905.jpg

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Not guilty! We were surprised at the amount of graffiti in Venice. I didn't spot that particular piece though.

If they still dished out the punishment of the Middle Ages whereby you had to run the gauntlet naked from San Marco to the other side of the Rialto Bridge for the smallest 'crime' it might stop it
laugh.gif

01cc_Gobbo.jpg

Gobbo di Rialto

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Seanery
Holy mother of god, those lineups are sicker then aids. That is just insane. I cant go, but I pray this means Evil Conduct will play other dates somewhere on the west coast. Oh man alive, I don't even know what to say...
dont think that is happening, but yea Evil Conduct is one of my big draws. There's a bit of controversy at the moment as Condemned 84 have dropped off the bill due to MAD booking Agency in Europe threatening to pull their acts (Section 5, Cockney Rejects, Gonads, Sheer Terror, and the rumored 2 secret bands are huge names also rep'd by MAD) if C84 play the same show. Stormwatch have followed C84s lead and dropped off on their own. it's silly when "anti establishment" oi bands have their puppet strings pulled by the establishment. this is not the first incident with MAD threatening to pull their bands because of someone they dont like sharing the bill. but we already have out tickets, one of my good friends' band is reforming for this fest and I'm glad I saw C84 couple months ago or I'd be really pissed at the situation
I'm still sorting out my pics from Venice last autumn and thought these might be worth sharing:
John, that shirt is tops! M-o-M, I saw similar grafitti when I was in Rome a few years back! Silly italians!!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they still dished out the punishment of the Middle Ages whereby you had to run the gauntlet naked from San Marco to the other side of the Rialto Bridge for the smallest 'crime' it might stop it
laugh.gif

The crowds are so thick you can hardly bloody get from San Marco to the other side of the Rialto Bridge on foot.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
truth. i dont think i've ever seen that many well dressed normal people doing their dailies in any country

What a great point Jason.

Even in Venice the really well dressed local (IMHO) was relatively thin on the ground. To the extent that you really remember them - as I do anywhere. In Venice it was, oddly enough, a lady of certain age plus a bit that struck me. She was on the vaporetto in late afternoon when it was a good 75 degrees. She had on a fine tweed suit that shaded from dark mustard to dark green with the jacket in a fine herringbone and the skirt in a coordinating salt and pepper effect; some wonderful little brown shoes with a small tassel and bag in simple plain brown leather (square shaped like HM favours) and a beautiful Dachshund on a lead. On top of all this understatement she was sporting the most garish pair of D&G glasses. The quality oozed out of her and the effect was stunning (to me). On disembarking she somehow produced a bowl of water for doggy to drink. Was she an original skin?

It was definitely an occasion when I suddenly felt very under dressed - so great was the impact.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a great point Jason.

Even in Venice the really well dressed local (IMHO) was relatively thin on the ground. To the extent that you really remember them - as I do anywhere. In Venice it was, oddly enough, a lady of certain age plus a bit that struck me. She was on the vaporetto in late afternoon when it was a good 75 degrees. She had on a fine tweed suit that shaded from dark mustard to dark green with the jacket in a fine herringbone and the skirt in a coordinating salt and pepper effect; some wonderful little brown shoes with a small tassel and bag in simple plain brown leather (square shaped like HM favours) and a beautiful Dachshund on a lead. On top of all this understatement she was sporting the most garish pair of D&G glasses. The quality oozed out of her and the effect was stunning (to me). On disembarking she somehow produced a bowl of water for doggy to drink. Was she an original skin?

It was definitely an occasion when I suddenly felt very under dressed - so great was the impact.

Let me put it this way. I saw a damn sight more stylish people in Venice than I ever have in Perth. I felt like the worst-dressed man in town. And what is more embarrassing is that whenever I approached a shop counter or attracted a waiter's attention I was spoken to in English before I even opened my mouth!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pocket Squares - we don't talk about em much.

Have you seen this great thread on the main board?

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=228536

I know Roy is a fan of the pocket hanky....

Down our neck of the woods we wore them slightly flowing, not neatly squared of arranged, the body of the hanky showing but no edges. This isn't a good pic, but it might give you the idea.

Hymie%20Tastygeezer%2004.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads