• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
What material already exists?
It’s not as though the skins of the late 60s haven’t been dealt with before. We might be intending to give our ‘original’ view, but the era has been featured in books. What [other] books etc have featured 60s skins?

As mentioned before there's Kevin Rowland's excellent essay in The Look by Paul Gorman.

Also The Soul Stylists by Paolo Hewitt I'd like to mention again (with Jim Cox being quoted extensively) and furthermore:

The Way We Wore-Robert Elms
The Fashion of Football-Paolo Hewitt and Mark Baxter
A Boy's Story-Martin King
Bovver + Booted and Suited-Chris Brown
You'll Never Be 16 Again-Peter Everett
Brit Cult-Andrew Calcutt
Streetstyle-Ted Polhemus
Subculture The Meaning of Style-Dick Hebdige

could also be worth checking:
My Favourite Shirt-Paolo Hewitt & Terry Rawlings
Hoolifan-Martin Knight
Want Some Aggro?-Cass Pennant & Micky Smith

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, not a lot then?
laugh.gif

I'd best get down the second-hand book shop...

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a 60th Birthday Party for one of the old Kilburn Aggro Mob last Saturday, Their was around 150 people of half being Kilburn/Chelsea Shed Boys, Not once all evening was Skinheads mentioned , But most the evening was talking about the old days, One Lad said the most memorable time was Chelsea winning the 1970 FA Cup at Old Trafford.
I also learned that the four lads being interviewed by the BBC in the Phoenix club was paid £20 each , a lot of money back then.
I will be seeing Noreen this weekend she is also in the BBC Documentary, Gonna take a writing pad to take notes.

loempiavreter

Reaction score
@M-o-M
The Paint House: Words from an East End Gang... haven't read it but I heard it's still outsider, interviewing kids.

btw, I spread the message to the Dj's/former skinheads of the original era
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loempiavreter
@M-o-M
The Paint House: Words from an East End Gang... haven't read it but I heard it's still outsider, interviewing kids.

btw, I spread the message to the Dj's/former skinheads of the original era
smile.gif

Double thanks.

Y'know, I think this thing might get off the ground.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes their has been books written about skinheads, Boys story was great, a fellow Chelsea Shed Boy, also Booted and Suited was good,
But what is being thought out here is a Book By a group of Originals, that lived through that time, The horses mouth so to speak.
I have leaned so much, and been reminded of so much from this thread, Just reading the whole thread is a book in its self,

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Just reading the whole thread is a book in its self,

I was thinking that too....you could almost edit this thread into a book in itself, would be an interesting way to present the information rather than a traditional book format.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I was thinking that too....you could almost edit this thread into a book in itself, would be an interesting way to present the information rather than a traditional book format.

It's certainly a great starting-place. That's why I'm going through the thread page by page.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is worth mentioning in a book about the Originals, is the Rudies, They played their part in the Original scene, A lot of rubbish has been written about the West Indian influence on 60s Skinheads.
Black lads had their own way of dress, and it was not Boots, Braces and Donkey jackets, But their was copying by both groups. One of the biggest influences on me was a Black lad called Lenny V, He was my mates Cousin a little older than us , And was one of the smartest blokes I ever meet, he dressed more Ivy than Skinhead.

dopeman

Reaction score
Hi All,
Been lurking around for a while reading this. Not an original skin myself,just someone who has an interest. Had some mates who were skins at the time,
Anyway-just saying hello and that I have been enjoying the posts of the originals on here.
The reason for me posting is just to stick in anything I can to point you to people who you could get for the book you are talking about doing...
Might be a couple of people on the pama and trojan forums to ask for quotes etc. My mate worked in daddy kools in late 60's and mentioned a couple of well known skins who would buy a lot of reggae records.I'll ask him.
Check another newish book by Don Hughes-friday on my mind - its about mods-but mentions early skinheads around west london.Read it recently-great first hand account of sixties mod.
I'll post any more stuff I can remember ! And ask a couple of friends as I think your book is a brill idea- most books about skins/mods/etc are crap unless written by those that were there and even then you didnt have the means of communicating (like here) before to get more ideas/interviews/pics etc quickly.I hope it comes off for you guys-would be worth it for the pics alone.
A clothing timeline is what Id be interested in-but if people were wearing boots/braces/grandad shirts in 1965 (quote above) then thats earlier than I ever thought -great to get from the horses mouth this stuff >Was reading a post on pama forum about early mods in '59 '60 and have never saw that sort of info written before. To get hold of some first hand accounts of how skinhead style started etc as early as '65 would be great and nows the time to do it-while everyone is still compos mentis ! Another problem is that these kind of books are usually written by one man and is one mans vision-getting loads of quotes and info or whatever from loads of diffferent faces is a great idea.
Anways- good luck guys.
D

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
This weekender in the states might be the greatest single oi show ever, even better than Rebellion or HITS

it'll def be of interest to "new breed" skinheads, esp if you were one in the 80s-90s

2000 Tons of TNT weekender, labour day weekend in Sept. Pete from classic oi band Forced Reality is putting this on, simply mindblowing lineup

5712240836_7af3a61080_b.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re the book.

Would anyone who is helping out, in a big or small way, please PM me with your day-to-day name.

Thinking way ahead, we're going to need really strong artwork or photography for the front cover.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads