• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

filcol

Reaction score
GUYS NEED HELP! HELP ME DECIDE PLS
frown.gif

I need
- white sneakers
- jeans
- some light colored shirts for summer
- lightweight jacket for summer
- khakis
- some basic Ts

but I only have like 450$, so I have to decide on 1 - 3 things..

help pls
frown.gif

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by filcol
GUYS NEED HELP! HELP ME DECIDE PLS
frown.gif

I need
- white sneakers
- jeans
- some light colored shirts for summer
- lightweight jacket for summer
- khakis
- some basic Ts

but I only have like 450$, so I have to decide on 1 - 3 things..

help pls
frown.gif

What do you already have? Really basic Ts will probably cost like $30 depending on how many you're getting. Everything else depends on your current wardrobe

filcol

Reaction score
-white sneakers (only grey and brown ones that are "okay", one really really cheap white pair, but no really good sneakers like CPs, MMMs..)
- jeans (no APC or dior etc.. but a nudie one that's really fine, 2 diesel jeans and 2 cheap ones)
- summer jacket (none... but I don't know if it's really needed because summers are usually quiet hot here(germany))
- shirts (3 shirts, white, blue, plaid blue, my other shirts are too warm for summer)
- khakis (1 but it doesn't fit right anymore)
- basic Ts (not that much.. dunno now)

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-white sneakers (only grey and brown ones that are "okay", one really really cheap white pair, but no really good sneakers like CPs, MMMs..) - jeans (no APC or dior etc.. but a nudie one that's really fine, 2 diesel jeans and 2 cheap ones) - summer jacket (none... but I don't know if it's really needed because summers are usually quiet hot here(germany)) - shirts (3 shirts, white, blue, plaid blue, my other shirts are too warm for summer) - khakis (1 but it doesn't fit right anymore) - basic Ts (not that much.. dunno now)
I would: - Get CPs/MMMs on sale, should be around $200 (budget down to $250) - Keep the Nudies, sell all the others. Should be able to get around $100 at least. ($350) - Buy a pair of jeans off B&S. Depends on what you're looking for, but should get something decent to good for about $150 max. Try to get something different from the Nudies (eg. indigo instead of black wax) ($200) - Get a light sweater/cardigan instead of a jacket. Something in the $100 price point will do ($100) - Pick up a shirt in a different colour. Maybe a red/purple shirt off TOJ for $120 I don't really do khakis so I left those out, and since you have basic Ts, you should be set

CWRUSteez

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of bright yellow chinos very slim but not skinny fit, with at most a 15 inch leg opening for under $60
any suggestions?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dan138zig
sorry I didn't tell the full story but actually I got my jeans altered. now I'm not sure anymore in cuffing it because I'm afraid it'd look weird but if there's no standard width, I will rock it.
If you really care about it, you can have it altered from the inseam, thereby preserving the selvedge line/width. Problem being, this is a more complicated method and requires trust in your tailor (also may cost a bit more because of this)
Originally Posted by roryben
Thanks... I've tried this already. "Bristol" search doesn't give anything good (which doesn't bode well for where I live now...) and "London" is too vague a search term to save me having to trawl through hundreds of threads. To be fair, "UK" would probably have only been more vague.
If you already have brands in mind, search for those instead
-white sneakers (only grey and brown ones that are "okay", one really really cheap white pair, but no really good sneakers like CPs, MMMs..) - jeans (no APC or dior etc.. but a nudie one that's really fine, 2 diesel jeans and 2 cheap ones) - summer jacket (none... but I don't know if it's really needed because summers are usually quiet hot here(germany)) - shirts (3 shirts, white, blue, plaid blue, my other shirts are too warm for summer) - khakis (1 but it doesn't fit right anymore) - basic Ts (not that much.. dunno now)
If you're on a constrained budget, do not go into expensive sneakers. No one's going to notice/care that you paid $xxx for a pair of sneakers. IMO, you'd get a lot more use out of a number of shirts than anything else on the list (save, perhaps, for tees) though the longest lasting option is probably denim

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
If you really care about it, you can have it altered from the inseam, thereby preserving the selvedge line/width. Problem being, this is a more complicated method and requires trust in your tailor (also may cost a bit more because of this)

If you already have brands in mind, search for those instead

If you're on a constrained budget, do not go into expensive sneakers. No one's going to notice/care that you paid $xxx for a pair of sneakers. IMO, you'd get a lot more use out of a number of shirts than anything else on the list (save, perhaps, for tees) though the longest lasting option is probably denim

To be honest, no one's really going to notice/care how much you pay for clothes in general
confused.gif

It's better to invest in footwear above all others imo. If you're on a budget, you can get shirts for cheap OTR any mall brand (J Crew, Club Monaco, Uniqlo) and even get them tailored if they don't fit.

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
I'm looking for a t-shirt with a very wide collar. Sort of like an A-shirt ("wifebeater), but actually has sleeves. Suggestions?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linkinwayne
To be honest, no one's really going to notice/care how much you pay for clothes in general
confused.gif
It's better to invest in footwear above all others imo. If you're on a budget, you can get shirts for cheap OTR any mall brand (J Crew, Club Monaco, Uniqlo) and even get them tailored if they don't fit.

Sneakers do not have the life expectancy that I would desire out of a large purchase on a small budget, if he was talking shoes/boots I'd go there, but a pair of CPs look just as boring as a pair of cheaper Adidas or whatever. Nice shirts have a decent lifespan and the ability to mix for different looks

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
about rugby, brand new shirt and a button fell off just like that (university oxford). in the middle of getting it squared away,
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads