• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but props to Dayton for sticking it out in the ghetto..

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G0079
Just swung by Dayton at lunch and ordered a gray nubuck pair. I sized down from a true 10 to 8.5 and it feels perfect. All the service boots had Wings & Horns imprinted on the sole. The pre-distressed pair that they had me try on was butter.

You sized down from a true 10 all the way to 8.5?

I am thinking since I am size 9/42 in most shoes, like PS Ricards size.42, that a 8 in the Dayton would fit especially with some room for insole, etc. Sounds right?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gettoasty
You sized down from a true 10 all the way to 8.5?

I am thinking since I am size 9/42 in most shoes, like PS Ricards size.42, that a 8 in the Dayton would fit especially with some room for insole, etc. Sounds right?

yeah im a 9 brannock and take a 42 in most shoes. they recommended to go 8

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks ^
smile.gif

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let me add to the confusion:

Sneakers: 12
Dress Shoes: 11 - 11.5 (depending on last)
Work-type Boots: 11
W+H Dayton: 11

I should clarify that the W+H Daytons don't have an insole at all, so I sized these to accommodate an insole. They're wearable without any insole, but a bit loose. Plus, your feet hurt like hell after a while, since you're walking on wood.

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Let me add to the confusion: Sneakers: 12 Dress Shoes: 11 - 11.5 (depending on last) Work-type Boots: 11 W+H Dayton: 11 I should clarify that the W+H Daytons don't have an insole at all, so I sized these to accommodate an insole. They're wearable without any insole, but a bit loose. Plus, your feet hurt like hell after a while, since you're walking on wood.
It sounds like we've got similar sized feet. I'm thinking of ordering a pair tomorrow and I'll probably be sizing similarly this time. I already own a pair of a cap toe style Dayton boot (basically these with a different sole). My current pair is 10.5 (when I sent in measurements they initially suggested 10 until I told them I'd be adding an insole), but I have probably less than a quarter inch of room between my toes and the tip of the shoe. Luckily the high vamp allows for some vertical room at least. But unless Dayton tells me the service boots run longer than their others, I think I'll size up a half size this time.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^totally forgot about the lumberman boot collab with w+h. whats the retail of that boot? not collab price but from dayton direct?

it wasnt as widely popular as the service boot and never handled it but looked nice from online pics

Curious_George

Reaction score
When I purchased my pair they were on clearance at Dayton, so I don't really know if they still make them or what the regular price would be (though I think I recall the girl I talked to mentioning about $300 retail at the time)

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mischief
SnuffDaddy posted this pic of the oiled brown in the Official Sales Alert Thread (http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...stcount=8517):

30uaems.jpg

This is my pair I bought last November. Haven't had a chance to wear them yet since when i got them, snow was already on the ground and it's just disappearing now.

As for sizing, I am a standard 9.5d dress shoe and I went down to an 8.5. They're marked an E width but I would say they are a D width (the last is probably really old, Narrow in the instep).

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bump for people who have the sales thread confused for this one.

legendofthepanda

Reaction score
Can someone please help me out with the sizing?

I'm a 9.5 in Clarks DB
9 in Red Wing GT
9.5 in sebago docksides
10 regualr dress shoe size

what size should I get for the service boots?

thanks a lot
biggrin.gif

filth

Reaction score
I think its clear now that everyone should go 1 - 1.5 size down from your original. At least that's what i'm getting. Im a true 8.5 in almost every brand except baller sneakers cause they always size weird.

Going to check it out this Saturday and probably placing an order. These will be great in the winter since my CP officer boots can't really take a beating but just look nice.

Nezero

Reaction score
I'm a 8EUK in Loakes.

I thought that correlated to 8 on Brannock Device but based on what someone else said where they said they are 9->42 EU this does not compute.

What colour would be the most versatile?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads