• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
lol8[1].gif
honestly, just stfu no ones ever gonna see things eye to eye. /im getting too old for this ****

I'm just bustin your balls. Your taste is obviously different than the majority of posters here so rather than just saying "XYZ sucks" why not share why you don't like it, what you think some better alternatives are, etc? All I'm saying is that some context is nice.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, I actually am fine with the plain ones, my problem is arguing needlessly over why these shoes are ugly or not when it really comes down to what you like. I don't like them cuz the paint splatter looks like I came on myself or a bird had its way on my shoes.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
BB1 do you watch dubbed anime and collect Gundam Wing figurines? You sound japano-centric.

Everyone knows real Japanophiles only watch subtitled anime and then talk about how they could have done a better job translating it.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I don't like them cuz the paint splatter looks like I came on myself or a bird had its way on my shoes.
This is a dramatic departure from your usual philosophical justifications in re: clothing. I just think it looks like someone splashed paint on them more than the other things, you'd have to have some serious issues to jump straight to "*****!" I never thought of the bird poop thing though.

Whatever, wait for a fit, or just look at Stazy's waywt, I think they fit in well there and it's a pretty down to earth fit on the whole.

Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Everyone knows real Japanophiles only watch subtitled anime and then talk about how they could have done a better job translating it.
Or start websites entitled "harajuju.net". Or change their fb name to Japanese characters like this one dude in law school (who also took up Judo and took Japanese lessons and is the whitest Albertan motherfucker you're likely to find).

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, I actually am fine with the plain ones, my problem is arguing needlessly over why these shoes are ugly or not when it really comes down to what you like. I don't like them cuz the paint splatter looks like I came on myself or a bird had its way on my shoes.
You'd have to go to a bukkake party to get that much ***** on your shoes
laugh.gif

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
This is a dramatic departure from your usual philosophical justifications in re: clothing. I just think it looks like someone splashed paint on them more than the other things, you'd have to have some serious issues to jump straight to "*****!" I never thought of the bird poop thing though.

Whatever, wait for a fit, or just look at Stazy's waywt, I think they fit in well there and it's a pretty down to earth fit on the whole.

im not as one dimensional as people make me out to be. I'm just kidding about the *****, but even people who bought them were doing the joke
lol8[1].gif

Tbh, to put it more "eloquently" I rather my sneakers have a clean look. If they are going to be distressed I want it to at least seem organic, and not too fabricated and forced. The GATs are fine shoes, but the paint for me is a bit much because I also like uniformity in color or a minimal contrast. That is why im fine with them without paint.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Binker
Indeed, indeed. I'd love to hear you expand more on this. Your recollection and analysis of the sudden fervor surrounding the SS03 collection I'm sure would be absolutely fascinating.

To ignore the sarcasm completely, Diesel obvious did not do this (they are pretty savvy), but what they did do was to gradually differentiate all of the labels (for example, there was originally only the 10 and 0 10 labels for men in the first few, non-Diesel group collections, and they made the name recognizable outside of fashion circles. For example, all of the earlier bags and belts had the 10 or 0 10 label only. Also, they opened up self-brand stores, which greatly increased the visibility of the brand, and they started into PR heavily. For example, in 2003 or so, there were a articles in both US and UK GA about the "steath lux" of the 4 cornered tags.

Nothing wrong with any of this, one way or the other.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Are you denying that Diesel is the majority owner of MMM? Do you honestly believe the majority owner doesn't direct what goes on at the company in any manner? Do you honestly believe they don't decide whom is in charge of Margiela?
This is actually a fairly hilarious statement from someone who evidently has some mystified outsider's view of what goes on in the corporate arena.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
that looks like such a shoreman cop

Originally Posted by AR_Six
This is actually a fairly hilarious statement from someone who evidently has some mystified outsider's view of what goes on in the corporate arena.

I'd say more than fairly, I got a kick out of it
lol8[1].gif

Binker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
To ignore the sarcasm completely, Diesel obvious did not do this (they are pretty savvy), but what they did do was to gradually differentiate all of the labels (for example, there was originally only the 10 and 0 10 labels for men in the first few, non-Diesel group collections, and they made the name recognizable outside of fashion circles. For example, all of the earlier bags and belts had the 10 or 0 10 label only. Also, they opened up self-brand stores, which greatly increased the visibility of the brand, and they started into PR heavily. For example, in 2003 or so, there were a articles in both US and UK GA about the "steath lux" of the 4 cornered tags. Nothing wrong with any of this, one way or the other.
Oh I'm glad you commented, I actually do find it very interesting when you post about the various menswear collections with a historical slant. I wasn't following MMM in the early 2000s, but I'm very familiar with the timeline. I think it would be pretty tough to mount a case that the Diesel purchase was anything but a positive development for the label, they pumped a lot of money in and I've never heard of any kind of creative conflict between Margiela and Diesel corporate (and obviously, why the hell would there be?). That said, I think it's pretty clear BB1 was simply confusing and conflating the early 2000s Diesel purchase with the somewhat recent reveal that Margiela himself was no longer involved with the label. And he's only familiar with that because of all of jet's vitriol towards the design team.
happy.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i think it was also probably diesel that got the margiela basics into barney's co-op. as much as $3000 leathers are cool, i have a suspicion that the backbone of the brands profitability is on $300 sweatshirts and button downs.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd be a lot more impressed with Razele's chronic laundry lists of designer pickups if we ever got to see any of them in a fit. C'mon, man!

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I'd be a lot more impressed with Razele's chronic laundry lists of designer pickups if we ever got to see any of them in a fit. C'mon, man!
<3 you gaiz

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads