• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
A follow-up to the desert boot question... What kind of leather was worn most often? I would assume suede in most cases, but what about the beeswax leather you can find nowadays?

Never saw the latter in the 60s.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
A follow-up to the desert boot question... What kind of leather was worn most often? I would assume suede in most cases, but what about the beeswax leather you can find nowadays?

Desert boots was a Mod thing , Did not see a Skinheads wearing a pair in the 60s

I have been wearing Desert boots for years when i was in the Army, And i still wear them, See attached pic
Complete with Paratroopers, Para cord laces.
smile.gif

IMG_0132.jpg

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a pic of my mate Mark, He was a ex Rudie, I think he said this was taken around 72, As you can see the fashion just got more awful as the 70s went on.
Mark.jpg

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brideshead;4209595 said:
Interesting point, Lasttye. Did you not embrace the new, wider lapel, slightly flared trou look at this point? Yes you are correct Brideshead, Suits would have started to have wider lapels.. flared trousers, but we never wore suits after the skinheads, until 1974 when the film The Great Gatsby came out, In London we then started to get smart again wearing 1920s suits, Once my Brothers wedding was over that night in 71 i changed into the fashion of the Day, It was Beagle Collar Shirt, Tweed material light brown bags with a turn up, and a short leather zip up jacket.. bit like a bomber but with a proper collar. Not !00 % about my shoes that evening, May have been low platform shoes. I know some people go on about Norwegians Shoes, but i dont remember them. I wonder if MoM can help to put some light on this shoe
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
I know some people go on about Norwegians Shoes, but i dont remember them. I wonder if MoM can help to put some light on this shoe
smile.gif

Sorry - means nothing to me.
confused.gif

bunty

Reaction score
Original folks - what year did the skinhead look totally die out in your area? '72 ish in London and south east? (By that I mean you were wearing a totally different style) Was there any pockets of resistance !?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
Original folks - what year did the skinhead look totally die out in your area? '72 ish in London and south east? (By that I mean you were wearing a totally different style) Was there any pockets of resistance !?
Its hard to sort of remember dates, when one is 15 or 16, 3 Months can be a long time, I remember going up to Liverpool for the Everton.. Chelsea match 70/71 season, I had long hair, Wearing a Crombie, Red Fred Perry, Dr Martins and Jeans. The Everton Supporters was still Skinheads, Dressed in Jean jackets,and Baggie Jeans, By the Summer of 71 we was wearing Beagle Collars, Bags, Fashion back then was changing on a weekly basis, Looking back often for the worse. Just to add their was no pockets of resistance once fashion moved on, you would ditch what you was wearing as little as a few weeks ago.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at the Original Skinhead period London 69/ 70, the cloths was very regimented, it was a smart clean cut look, Its easy to remember the cloths.. as they was classics, they had been around long before the skinheads, so the cloths was not really fashion, My Mum would look at me and my mates and say we dressed like little old men.
But after the Skinheads and we moved onto the fashion of the Day it was a free for all so to speak. All manner of cloths was worn, I look back in embarrassment at some of the stuff we wore. To me the hole Glam Rock scene was awful, i hated those stupid bands even at the time.
I have to say I have no interest in this period 72 to 76, Then Punk hit the scene that was interesting but i was never a Punk, I thought i was to old at 22.

Con Seanery

Reaction score
Some of you may be interested in the answer Lasttye forwarded to me. Thank you Lasttye!
Originally Posted by Con Seanery from pg 124
Hi Lasttye, this is interesting, did you migrate to the American shirts because they were difficult to get (not a copy of the American ones etc.)? I imagine that having a difficult to obtain shirt also promoted a sort of one-upmanship. Also, what make shirts did you hunt down back then, -Brooks? And what patterns (check, window, candy)?
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Skinhead cloths was greatly influenced by American Ivy League, I at the time always thought that Skinheads must of started in America, i know now i was wrong, But we was obsessed with American cloths. Many London Skinheads would go to the Ivy shop , and Squire shops, The bloke who owned the shops imported American cloths, he still does, And has a shop here in London.
Also their was a shop in Regent St London called Austins that even imported American Suits.
As you had said it was getting one over your mates, American Shirts in 1969.. was £5 a lot of money then, At the time a Ben Sherman would be under £2.
The shirts would have been Sero, J Press, Gant, Not 100% sure As i never took much notice of the label, Around 78 I started again to shop at the Ivy Shop and would by, Hartford, j Press, Gant and BD Baggies. Shirts

I was personally wearing Checks way before they got popular with Skinheads, Ben Shermans only had Plain and Stripes back then.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty

Some older guys with money had totally changed by the end of 1970. With others it was a case of growing their hair and gradually replacing their wardrobe. In SE London by the middle of 1971 there were maybe a handful of mini-bootboys left, but if there were they didn't impress themselves on my mind at all. Most of my mates and girlfriends were already in flares, penny collars, etc by then. Dreadful fashions, when I look back, but that's fashion for you! Somewhere in the attic I have a photo where I look like Marc Bolan. No, I'm not going to go looking for it!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... by the mid-70s I had even grown a beard. My nickname was O'Hara - if you ever saw Enter the Dragon you'd know why. See if you can spot me on this pic:

Chong%20Woo%20Kwan%2002.jpg

... and I promise no more of these either!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads