• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Dubstep Thread

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is obviously a Dubstep appreciation and discussion thread. Not trance, not techno, not IDM. Let's keep it to Dubstep, and maybe some DnB since its a progenitor.

I'm currently feeling Nero, Sub focus, Roksonix, Kryptic Minds, and Mt Eden. Burial and Ital tek are in heavy rotation as well. Though some question whether they are Dubstep or not.

Opinions? Suggestions?

ysb

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a small population of dnb/dubstep listeners on here!

I don't want to take this on a tangent because my experience is much more with drum and bass, but I do appreciate dubstep. Burial is the ****. Did his DJ Kicks album ever come out?

Anyways. I haven't been keeping up with dubstep too much, but maybe you or some other better informed people can tell me: Is dubstep strictly confined to the 135-140 bpm range?

I remember when Amit (DnB producer) started coming out with half step DnB tune (~85-90 bpm) they were calling that dubstep, but I guess that's all drumstep now from what I've heard from some friends that still keep up with this.

Nice thread.

Seanallen

Reaction score
This genre makes me want to continue heavy drug use and flip over a metro bus. I guess its really popular at the high school I graduated from, makes me interested in seeing what they will be listening to in the years to come, hopefully house music
smile.gif
Numbernin6 - Garbage Jack Beats Not specifically dubstep but it has elements of it. Fenech-Soler - Lies (Doctor P Remix)
Originally Posted by ysb
I was wondering if there was a small population of dnb/dubstep listeners on here! Anyways. I haven't been keeping up with dubstep too much, but maybe you or some other better informed people can tell me: Is dubstep strictly confined to the 135-140 bpm range? I remember when Amit (DnB producer) started coming out with half step DnB tune (~85-90 bpm) they were calling that dubstep, but I guess that's all drumstep now from what I've heard from some friends that still keep up with this.
I don't think its confined at all to that bpm range, for example the majority of reggae inspired tracks. I do understand what you mean though, I think its more of DJs looking to create dance friendly tracks. What are the sub-genres of dubstep anyways? I understand there is filth and drum but is there any others?

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah most dubstep is in the 135 to 140 range, but it can go lower. 85 to 90 is really low, I've heard that the half-time rhythm of dubstep tracks can make it seem that low. Seanallen your tracks arent embedded correctly. It should be like this:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Quote my post and you can see how its done.

jefe

Reaction score
Youngsta - Thursdays on Rinse FM. He's got all the dubstep fire necessary.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it. I'm in my 30's but I'm kind of a closet bass head. Dubstep is just another in a long line of awesome electronic music to come out of England. Honestly I hear a little proto-dubstep in both massive attack and Bjork.

Keep up the recommendations. DnB as well.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up with DnB and garage. Can't handle dubstep. It's so flippin' popular these days though.

Strombollii

Reaction score
Is there a house/trance thread?

Forvm opinions on Kraddy?

Old:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Classic, classic Benga

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard almost all the tracks that have been linked to, even if I don't know them by name. The last time I really knew anything about EDM artists was around 2000/2001 when I was buying d'n'b mix cds and listening to Bassdrive. Nowadays I go to clubs and get my week's fill, both of the music and getting out of the house. Occasionally I'll ask a DJ what he played, and that's how I heard of Skrillex, Chase & Status, etc.

You really need to hear the music on a system with nice subs to appreciate it, however. Playing YouTube videos on computer speakers ain't gonna cut it (actually, they sound thinner than most YouTube music clips because of the excessive headroom occupied by the bass.) I have studio monitors- no sub- hooked up to my computer, and even they don't cut it.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
You really need to hear the music on a system with nice subs to appreciate it, however.

This.

I think most people who don't care for dubstep haven't heard it on a proper system. You shouldn't be able to breathe or even think properly when listening to dubstep coming from the right speakers. Its quite the experience.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ital Tec rules
Also, Mick Harris/Scorn...this dude has been making music for ages, well before it became called dub-step...maybe, it even isn't
confused.gif

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad this isn't a discussion of skrillex and rusko.

Ugh i hate that ****

Strombollii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I'm glad this isn't a discussion of skrillex and rusko. Ugh i hate that ****
Really? I like Skrillex, but I don't really look at him as dubstep. Like, he obviously is, but I think he's trying to push the genre outward, which is a nice break from the 23083049 dub remixes of "Like a G6" Edit: I know you guys don't like a lot of new dub (judging by the responses on the thread we hijacked before), but this is pretty fun: Minotaur (Stephan Jacobs Remix) - Kraddy

phildo

Reaction score
There was a point when the music was actually dub influenced, hence the name, and had some soul, but it devolved into mid-range electro wobbly wankery. Anyway, I'm just gonna post some new dubstep influenced stuff that I enjoy that goes by a variety of silly genre names and you can listen and enjoy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads