• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent non-Sartorialist Looks

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
It is hard to see what he is doing here. The jacket is a like a Bookster version of the 1940s 'bold look' (The Two Jakes) or alternatively the 1970s (I'm old enough to remember that tie knot). The pants are also very tight cut without a 40s drape which is a more moder style. The boots are sensational. Button boots but not overdone - are they bespoke like the rest of the clothing or vintage?

I'm pretty certain that that's a PRL wide-lapelled "Garrison" suit. I have a PRL suit in an almost identical windowpane flannel fabric from the 80s.

The cut of the jacket is superb. Love 'em or hate 'em, it is 99% inevitable that RL and Tom Ford are the thin edge of the wedge with their more decadent lapel width. I don't generally favor such narrow, flat front trousers, but this dude's pulling off the look splendidly.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Wonderful style statement and all works together well. The large tie knot echoes the lapels; the very slim fit is congruent with the short jacket length and likely negative break trousers; those short trousers also display the button boots nicely; the colours are classic together; even the beard and glasses work well with it. A very nicely engineered look; excellent.

Would hate to wear it myself.

Well observed, and I especially love that you'd never wear it. SF could use a bit less personal identification with everything one way or the other.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket could be longer, and I'd prefer ever-so-slightly narrower lapels, but otherwise, the suit is dope. Shoes are dope, too. If I saw that dude on the street, I'd probably think his getup was a bit outlandish, but definitely not ugly.

Renfield

Reaction score
Wonderful style statement and all works together well. The large tie knot echoes the lapels; the very slim fit is congruent with the short jacket length and likely negative break trousers; those short trousers also display the button boots nicely; the colours are classic together; even the beard and glasses work well with it. A very nicely engineered look; excellent.

I think the elements work well together colour/pattern/texture wise. The lapels are way to big and the throat latch is affected. The coat will date quickly.

I would also stay well clear of those button boots as they are a stylistic anachronism.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renfield

I would also stay well clear of those button boots as they are a stylistic anachronism.

eh.gif
? It is NYC after all.....

jamaican

Reaction score

For the average punter, fist look and the outfit knocks it out of the park. Great fabric on the suit, great blue of the shirt brings out the browns wonderfully. I wouldn't cut my stuff like that, but it suits this guy. Yeh the jacket is a bit short (for my taste), the tie knot too big (yes does balance the lapels - too wide for my taste), but this aint my suit, its his and I think its great. I also would have straight flapped or hacking flapped pockets. I just think the suit looks a little too country for button boots.... Button boots look like something Aubercy do. Leffot carry them, no? http://blog.leffot.com/2010/07/11/button-up/ But somehow, I agree, it works! The only thing that I take offense at is the "I'm trying way too hard glasses in the pocket" thing... freakin' A, its just too much, with a pocket square too... never mind, no one's perfect! J

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fantastic Mr Foxx
a601d766.jpg

This is excellent. I'm fascinated by these young Japanese men and their dedication to dressing well. They often do it very well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads