• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dane
It's ****** you. Just keep quiet and it'll be over in 8 hours.

Actual lol.

Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
BTW, Creed is *ahem*, not the most respected house on SF, so if you bring them up here be prepared for lots of eye rolling and snarky comments.
uhoh.gif

I can take it.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
today wearing CB I Hate Perfume - Burning Leaves... minimal projection but I can still smell it on me 12+ hours later... impressive!

I really like this one. I personally like to combine it with other scents though.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Elaborate?^^

I'd only read a bit about them and was intrigued, but am completely open to suggestions. This is, perhaps, why I just got a ton of samples and am trying them all out.

If you're interested in Creed, I have to put in my suggestion for Baie de Genievre. Like a lot of Creeds, longevity isn't great, but it's a very pleasant, genteel scent. Green Valley is also good, but longevity is even worse!

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
SACRILEGE! He who speaketh against teh Jicky is cast amongst the goats.
lol8[1].gif

Try Shalimar, if jicky sometimes feels too much. I find Shalimar, in the EdC or EdT like a Jicky without the "huh?" Chamade is also absolutely beautiful, as it Mitsouko. Nevertheless, I think every one of them is so clearly Guerlain, with a similar stream running underneath, that you still might get what you like from the Jicky from these others. Also sometime try to get a sample of Vega.

Agreed re: Ungaro II. However, what many of you guys find as a positive about it (it's slightly more useful character, and the citrus, over Jicky) is exactly what I find to be its biggest drawback. It's like saying, "It's a Rolls Royce, but stripped down so it's faster and sportier! Gets 40 miles to the gallon!" Yeah, but it's not a Rolls Royce.
smile.gif
I just don't get the amazing balance out of the U2 that I do from Jicky.

Given all of this, I'm literally swimming in Jicky this morning. Whew; I hope nobody comes to visit or they'll get knocked down.

I think Jicky is a better fragrance than Ungaro II by any measure. I also like it much more than Shalimar, precisely because of the funk! I guess what I'm saying, to borrow your analogy, is that it feels like driving my Rolls Royce around town to run errands. It's great to have a Rolls Royce, but I wonder what the appropriate occasions are to bring it out of the garage.

Also, I think Jicky swimming should be proposed as an Olympic event.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
If you're interested in Creed, I have to put in my suggestion for Baie de Genievre. Like a lot of Creeds, longevity isn't great, but it's a very pleasant, genteel scent. Green Valley is also good, but longevity is even worse!

I think Jicky is a better fragrance than Ungaro II by any measure. I also like it much more than Shalimar, precisely because of the funk! I guess what I'm saying, to borrow your analogy, is that it feels like driving my Rolls Royce around town to run errands. It's great to have a Rolls Royce, but I wonder what the appropriate occasions are to bring it out of the garage.

Also, I think Jicky swimming should be proposed as an Olympic event.

About twice a year, I'll do what I call my "crowd pleaser," which is where I'll literally inundate myself in parfum-strength juice and go out in public. It's fun, and a great way to keep people out of your "personal space bubble."

Agreed with you, btw, re: Jicky and Ungaro II.

Nevertheless, I think for those times a wholly different fragrance is good. For example, if Jicky will be "too much" for an occasion, there is always Eau d'hermes, bigarade concentree, declaration, chamade, tabac blond, or the always-nice Eau de Lalique!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
today: Guerlain Anisia Bella. it's pleasant enough, I guess. Glad I didn't pay much for it. Fine for summer and those days when I don't want to smell of much

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
today: Guerlain Anisia Bella. it's pleasant enough, I guess. Glad I didn't pay much for it. Fine for summer and those days when I don't want to smell of much

I used to have that. Along with Mentafloria, it was unfortunately my LEAST favorite of the Aqua Allegoria line. Some (herba fresca, flora nerolia, winter delice, pamplelune) are amazing, others (mentafloria, cherry blossom, anisia bella, etc.) are... meh. Not BAD, as you said, but nothing to wait in line to get.
smile.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
Guerlain Mitsouko today. First totally femme fragrance I have tried. I found a pronounced pine/woodsy opening that reminded me of pine sawdust. After a few minutes the rose/jasmine floral notes are more pronounced. Better compensate by being extra manly today. Grrrrrrr. After a few hours the florals faded and were balanced by a nice spicy wood note. I will definitely wear this again.
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Elaborate?^^ I'd only read a bit about them and was intrigued, but am completely open to suggestions. This is, perhaps, why I just got a ton of samples and am trying them all out.
I am in the same boat. Anywhere you go to read about male fragrance you are bound to read about Creed. I think the problem some SF'ers have is that although Creed's are well made, they are heavily marketed based on celebrity associations. And just the fact that they are so popular people get tired of seeing Creed discussed. There are a zillion scents out there and many are more niche products that don't get all of the attention that Creed (or Armani, Chanel, Coty, etc). You received some suggestions on other scents to try out, so give them a try! Also, many posters here are also members of Basenotes (except L'Incandescent!) and you can look up their wardrobes and see what they like to give you some out-of-the-mainstream ideas.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom Ford Urban Musk today. This is my first time wearing this. (Thanks again, Master-Classter.) It's quite a complex, pleasant scent, where musk is one player, but not the feature player at all. The pepper note really surprised me, but it works very well. There's also a bit of cumin, which is one of my favorite notes. But despite the pepper and cumin, it's actually quite a sweet scent, especially as it dries down. I'm liking this a lot so far.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I mostly got the sweet and none of the pepper/musk. It was a little underwhelming.

It smells like unwashed cumin.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying those decants L'Incandescent!

Today, Varvatos 10th anniversary. It reminds me of The One for some reason. Actually quite nice. I have found all of Varvato's frags pretty decent. Probably good rec's for beginners.

Mytailorisrich - you might like Heritage...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads