Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

today: Guerlain Anisia Bella. it's pleasant enough, I guess. Glad I didn't pay much for it. Fine for summer and those days when I don't want to smell of much

I used to have that. Along with Mentafloria, it was unfortunately my LEAST favorite of the Aqua Allegoria line. Some (herba fresca, flora nerolia, winter delice, pamplelune) are amazing, others (mentafloria, cherry blossom, anisia bella, etc.) are... meh. Not BAD, as you said, but nothing to wait in line to get. [​IMG]

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

4. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

Guerlain Mitsouko today. First totally femme fragrance I have tried. I found a pronounced pine/woodsy opening that reminded me of pine sawdust. After a few minutes the rose/jasmine floral notes are more pronounced. Better compensate by being extra manly today. Grrrrrrr. After a few hours the florals faded and were balanced by a nice spicy wood note. I will definitely wear this again.
    Elaborate?^^ I'd only read a bit about them and was intrigued, but am completely open to suggestions. This is, perhaps, why I just got a ton of samples and am trying them all out.
    I am in the same boat. Anywhere you go to read about male fragrance you are bound to read about Creed. I think the problem some SF'ers have is that although Creed's are well made, they are heavily marketed based on celebrity associations. And just the fact that they are so popular people get tired of seeing Creed discussed. There are a zillion scents out there and many are more niche products that don't get all of the attention that Creed (or Armani, Chanel, Coty, etc). You received some suggestions on other scents to try out, so give them a try! Also, many posters here are also members of Basenotes (except L'Incandescent!) and you can look up their wardrobes and see what they like to give you some out-of-the-mainstream ideas.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Tom Ford Urban Musk today. This is my first time wearing this. (Thanks again, Master-Classter.) It's quite a complex, pleasant scent, where musk is one player, but not the feature player at all. The pepper note really surprised me, but it works very well. There's also a bit of cumin, which is one of my favorite notes. But despite the pepper and cumin, it's actually quite a sweet scent, especially as it dries down. I'm liking this a lot so far.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I mostly got the sweet and none of the pepper/musk. It was a little underwhelming.

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I mostly got the sweet and none of the pepper/musk. It was a little underwhelming.

It smells like unwashed cumin.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

SF fellow noses, I beseech you!

Please come help out on this thread. I'm fighting the good fight all alone...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=227926&page=2

eugh, can't believe I posted in a PTWilliams thread. gaah.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Glad you're enjoying those decants L'Incandescent!

Today, Varvatos 10th anniversary. It reminds me of The One for some reason. Actually quite nice. I have found all of Varvato's frags pretty decent. Probably good rec's for beginners.

Mytailorisrich - you might like Heritage...

11. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

^^^ Heritage profile does look similar to Equipage. I put Heritage on my Wish List. Thanks for the suggestion.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^^ Heritage profile does look similar to Equipage. I put Heritage on my Wish List. Thanks for the suggestion.

They're pretty different to my nose: Equipage is more of a powdery thing, while Heritage is a big brassy loudmouth scent. I think there's a big ginger note to Heritage, also found in Caron Third Man.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I am in the same boat. Anywhere you go to read about male fragrance you are bound to read about Creed. I think the problem some SF'ers have is that although Creed's are well made, they are heavily marketed based on celebrity associations. And just the fact that they are so popular people get tired of seeing Creed discussed. There are a zillion scents out there and many are more niche products that don't get all of the attention that Creed (or Armani, Chanel, Coty, etc).

You received some suggestions on other scents to try out, so give them a try! Also, many posters here are also members of Basenotes (except L'Incandescent!) and you can look up their wardrobes and see what they like to give you some out-of-the-mainstream ideas.

Nice - thanks your your input!

I must admit though, I am digging the Santal...

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Which is the one that smells like wet horse tack? BelAmi?

I think Equipage. Bel Ami is more peppery/spicy/woody. Really sharp lemon pepper opening, eventually drying down to sandalwood. Quite good and I'm still mad that Hermes pulled distribution to boutiques only. [​IMG]

not that I wear it much, but still.