Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Tried Silver Mountain Water today. I may be anosmic to something in it because it seems to have disappeared in the space of an hour.

Yesterday, I wore the elusive Gaiac 10. Burnt twigs, incense, something else I can't place.
    One of those scents that brings about brings about some ancient, forgotten emotion, or maybe just an alien one, if you know what I mean.

2. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Creed GIT - not lasting as long as I'd want it to. Thus far of Aventus, this, and BdP, the Portugal is lasting the longest on my skin.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Hermes Equipage

What do you think of this one? To me, it's one of those fragrances that are really good in the abstract, but that are hard to pull off in real life. It feels like something you might wear to the opera or a state dinner.

5. polobeast

polobeast New Member

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

today wearing CB I Hate Perfume - Burning Leaves... minimal projection but I can still smell it on me 12+ hours later... impressive!

7. MyTailorIsRich

What do you think of this one? To me, it's one of those fragrances that are really good in the abstract, but that are hard to pull off in real life. It feels like something you might wear to the opera or a state dinner.

Well, it is basically a floralish patchouli, so you can either go elder startesman or raging hippie. I find it one of those scents that is very relaxing to wear because you are enveloped in this warm cloud that is very well balanced. With my headband and bellbottoms of course.

8. MyTailorIsRich

Tried Silver Mountain Water today. I may be anosmic to something in it because it seems to have disappeared in the space of an hour.

Creed GIT - not lasting as long as I'd want it to.

These are light, sporty scents without a strong base note. They just are't going to last that long. You are either going to have to reapply them every few hours or try a fragrance with a stronger base. For Creeds, Bois du Portugal will last longer or try Orange Spice. OS lasts about 24 hours so be prepared.

BTW, Creed is *ahem*, not the most respected house on SF, so if you bring them up here be prepared for lots of eye rolling and snarky comments.[​IMG]

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Elaborate?^^

I'd only read a bit about them and was intrigued, but am completely open to suggestions. This is, perhaps, why I just got a ton of samples and am trying them all out.

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Ungaro II today. (Many thanks to Master-Classter!) I can't believe this came onto the market in 1992. And I can't believe it sold more than 100 bottles. It's so out of keeping with the trends of the time. It's a lot like Jicky, just like everyone says, except with a more citrusy, fizzy opening and a lot less of the Jicky fecal note. The comparison to Jicky got me thinking: do you think there's anything in fragrance that's analogous to the concept of costume in clothing? I love Jicky, but I can't help feeling it's a little "costumey," like I'm walking around in a frock coat.
    SACRILEGE! He who speaketh against teh Jicky is cast amongst the goats. [​IMG] Try Shalimar, if jicky sometimes feels too much. I find Shalimar, in the EdC or EdT like a Jicky without the "huh?" Chamade is also absolutely beautiful, as it Mitsouko. Nevertheless, I think every one of them is so clearly Guerlain, with a similar stream running underneath, that you still might get what you like from the Jicky from these others. Also sometime try to get a sample of Vega. Agreed re: Ungaro II. However, what many of you guys find as a positive about it (it's slightly more useful character, and the citrus, over Jicky) is exactly what I find to be its biggest drawback. It's like saying, "It's a Rolls Royce, but stripped down so it's faster and sportier! Gets 40 miles to the gallon!" Yeah, but it's not a Rolls Royce. [​IMG] I just don't get the amazing balance out of the U2 that I do from Jicky. Given all of this, I'm literally swimming in Jicky this morning. Whew; I hope nobody comes to visit or they'll get knocked down.

11. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Family member off to US and I'm wondering what the typical duty free price is for RP POLO EAU DE TOILETTE. With the Pound Sterling exchange rate, would it be worth them bringing me a bottle back?

12. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

It's raping you. Just keep quiet and it'll be over in 8 hours.

Actual lol.

BTW, Creed is *ahem*, not the most respected house on SF, so if you bring them up here be prepared for lots of eye rolling and snarky comments.[​IMG]

I can take it.

today wearing CB I Hate Perfume - Burning Leaves... minimal projection but I can still smell it on me 12+ hours later... impressive!

I really like this one. I personally like to combine it with other scents though.

13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Elaborate?^^

I'd only read a bit about them and was intrigued, but am completely open to suggestions. This is, perhaps, why I just got a ton of samples and am trying them all out.

If you're interested in Creed, I have to put in my suggestion for Baie de Genievre. Like a lot of Creeds, longevity isn't great, but it's a very pleasant, genteel scent. Green Valley is also good, but longevity is even worse!

SACRILEGE! He who speaketh against teh Jicky is cast amongst the goats. [​IMG]

Try Shalimar, if jicky sometimes feels too much. I find Shalimar, in the EdC or EdT like a Jicky without the "huh?" Chamade is also absolutely beautiful, as it Mitsouko. Nevertheless, I think every one of them is so clearly Guerlain, with a similar stream running underneath, that you still might get what you like from the Jicky from these others. Also sometime try to get a sample of Vega.

Agreed re: Ungaro II. However, what many of you guys find as a positive about it (it's slightly more useful character, and the citrus, over Jicky) is exactly what I find to be its biggest drawback. It's like saying, "It's a Rolls Royce, but stripped down so it's faster and sportier! Gets 40 miles to the gallon!" Yeah, but it's not a Rolls Royce. [​IMG] I just don't get the amazing balance out of the U2 that I do from Jicky.

Given all of this, I'm literally swimming in Jicky this morning. Whew; I hope nobody comes to visit or they'll get knocked down.

I think Jicky is a better fragrance than Ungaro II by any measure. I also like it much more than Shalimar, precisely because of the funk! I guess what I'm saying, to borrow your analogy, is that it feels like driving my Rolls Royce around town to run errands. It's great to have a Rolls Royce, but I wonder what the appropriate occasions are to bring it out of the garage.

Also, I think Jicky swimming should be proposed as an Olympic event.

14. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

If you're interested in Creed, I have to put in my suggestion for Baie de Genievre. Like a lot of Creeds, longevity isn't great, but it's a very pleasant, genteel scent. Green Valley is also good, but longevity is even worse!

I think Jicky is a better fragrance than Ungaro II by any measure. I also like it much more than Shalimar, precisely because of the funk! I guess what I'm saying, to borrow your analogy, is that it feels like driving my Rolls Royce around town to run errands. It's great to have a Rolls Royce, but I wonder what the appropriate occasions are to bring it out of the garage.

Also, I think Jicky swimming should be proposed as an Olympic event.

About twice a year, I'll do what I call my "crowd pleaser," which is where I'll literally inundate myself in parfum-strength juice and go out in public. It's fun, and a great way to keep people out of your "personal space bubble."

Agreed with you, btw, re: Jicky and Ungaro II.

Nevertheless, I think for those times a wholly different fragrance is good. For example, if Jicky will be "too much" for an occasion, there is always Eau d'hermes, bigarade concentree, declaration, chamade, tabac blond, or the always-nice Eau de Lalique!

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

today: Guerlain Anisia Bella. it's pleasant enough, I guess. Glad I didn't pay much for it. Fine for summer and those days when I don't want to smell of much