• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Today SOTD - Idole de Lubin - I remember being impressed with this the last time I sampled it. Now I know why. I really can't make out the notes too well on it but its a very solid masculine/evening style scent. Very nice. Might have to throw this one up on the split thread as well.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Today SOTD - Idole de Lubin - I remember being impressed with this the last time I sampled it. Now I know why. I really can't make out the notes too well on it but its a very solid masculine/evening style scent. Very nice. Might have to throw this one up on the split thread as well.

yep, that one's been on my radar for a while as well.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, btw, a 'relaxing' morning at the office (compared to yesterday, replacing a server room AC unit), went with Anvers2. It's really nice, if a tad nondescript and not-quite-compelling.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ungaro II today. (Many thanks to Master-Classter!) I can't believe this came onto the market in 1992. And I can't believe it sold more than 100 bottles. It's so out of keeping with the trends of the time. It's a lot like Jicky, just like everyone says, except with a more citrusy, fizzy opening and a lot less of the Jicky fecal note.

The comparison to Jicky got me thinking: do you think there's anything in fragrance that's analogous to the concept of costume in clothing? I love Jicky, but I can't help feeling it's a little "costumey," like I'm walking around in a frock coat.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Tried Silver Mountain Water today. I may be anosmic to something in it because it seems to have disappeared in the space of an hour.

Yesterday, I wore the elusive Gaiac 10. Burnt twigs, incense, something else I can't place.
One of those scents that brings about brings about some ancient, forgotten emotion, or maybe just an alien one, if you know what I mean.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creed GIT - not lasting as long as I'd want it to. Thus far of Aventus, this, and BdP, the Portugal is lasting the longest on my skin.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
Hermes Equipage

What do you think of this one? To me, it's one of those fragrances that are really good in the abstract, but that are hard to pull off in real life. It feels like something you might wear to the opera or a state dinner.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
today wearing CB I Hate Perfume - Burning Leaves... minimal projection but I can still smell it on me 12+ hours later... impressive!

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
What do you think of this one? To me, it's one of those fragrances that are really good in the abstract, but that are hard to pull off in real life. It feels like something you might wear to the opera or a state dinner.

Well, it is basically a floralish patchouli, so you can either go elder startesman or raging hippie. I find it one of those scents that is very relaxing to wear because you are enveloped in this warm cloud that is very well balanced. With my headband and bellbottoms of course.

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Tried Silver Mountain Water today. I may be anosmic to something in it because it seems to have disappeared in the space of an hour.

Originally Posted by El Argentino
Creed GIT - not lasting as long as I'd want it to.

These are light, sporty scents without a strong base note. They just are't going to last that long. You are either going to have to reapply them every few hours or try a fragrance with a stronger base. For Creeds, Bois du Portugal will last longer or try Orange Spice. OS lasts about 24 hours so be prepared.

BTW, Creed is *ahem*, not the most respected house on SF, so if you bring them up here be prepared for lots of eye rolling and snarky comments.
uhoh.gif

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elaborate?^^

I'd only read a bit about them and was intrigued, but am completely open to suggestions. This is, perhaps, why I just got a ton of samples and am trying them all out.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Ungaro II today. (Many thanks to Master-Classter!) I can't believe this came onto the market in 1992. And I can't believe it sold more than 100 bottles. It's so out of keeping with the trends of the time. It's a lot like Jicky, just like everyone says, except with a more citrusy, fizzy opening and a lot less of the Jicky fecal note. The comparison to Jicky got me thinking: do you think there's anything in fragrance that's analogous to the concept of costume in clothing? I love Jicky, but I can't help feeling it's a little "costumey," like I'm walking around in a frock coat.
SACRILEGE! He who speaketh against teh Jicky is cast amongst the goats.
lol8[1].gif
Try Shalimar, if jicky sometimes feels too much. I find Shalimar, in the EdC or EdT like a Jicky without the "huh?" Chamade is also absolutely beautiful, as it Mitsouko. Nevertheless, I think every one of them is so clearly Guerlain, with a similar stream running underneath, that you still might get what you like from the Jicky from these others. Also sometime try to get a sample of Vega. Agreed re: Ungaro II. However, what many of you guys find as a positive about it (it's slightly more useful character, and the citrus, over Jicky) is exactly what I find to be its biggest drawback. It's like saying, "It's a Rolls Royce, but stripped down so it's faster and sportier! Gets 40 miles to the gallon!" Yeah, but it's not a Rolls Royce.
smile.gif
I just don't get the amazing balance out of the U2 that I do from Jicky. Given all of this, I'm literally swimming in Jicky this morning. Whew; I hope nobody comes to visit or they'll get knocked down.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Family member off to US and I'm wondering what the typical duty free price is for RP POLO EAU DE TOILETTE. With the Pound Sterling exchange rate, would it be worth them bringing me a bottle back?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads