• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by either/or
... in continuation of the convertible cuff:

img0987.png

is there such a thing as an 'single' french cuff? -would it be terribly faux pas to convert my convertibles into 'singles' by removing the buttons?

I'm asking since this is my first mtm shirt and it's a little off. That is, the 'normal' button position make the cuffs too big (sleeve length is a couple of cm's too long, causing them to slide down/out of jacket sleeves) and the 'tight' button position keeps things in place but make my hands look like this:

sensoryhomunculus.png

'Single' french is just right though... -aside of course from the fact that I technically would be guilty of Costanza-ing...
uhoh.gif

1. Your shirt sleeves are SUPPOSED to protrude from your jacket sleeves about half an inch. It 'frames' the jacket and in a world where rules are meant to be broken, this rules stands as close to incontrovertible as any in the sartorial world.

2. YES, although not very popular. There are photos of Michael Caine in 'Get Carter' and JFK sporting single, i.e. not folded back cuffs with links. This is also the correct style of shirt to wear with white tie, (along with wing collar). It looks a bit unsubstantial to me but I suppose some people can pull it off.

St. John

Reaction score
Any thoughts from Canadian forum users on Coppley MTM suits. I'm looking at getting one done. the fabric is a Loro Piana Super 120. I've never really looked at Coppley in the shops before. the price tag would run to a little over 1100, with vest.

Thanks.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mudhiker
Since I am told that The Tie Bar ties suck total ass... anybody have some recommendations for moderately priced solid ties, say, $30 or less? I'm wanting to add some wool ones to my collection. (Not knit ties though. Don't have any use for those.)
It is really hard to find new, decent-quality silk ties in that price range let alone wool ties. Even a mid-range silk tie such a Brooks Brothers is still $40 or so on sale. Wool ties are generally less available at the lower end of the range. I am selling some brand new one wool ties (see my signature) but even those are more than your $30 target price.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
If the vent(s) on a jacket do not like completely flat when your arms are at your side, is the jacket necessarily too small? In what dimension? Can it be an easy tailor fix?

I kind of run into this problem a lot since I am really a 39R, which is a rare size to find at thrift stores. 40s are too big, and 38s are great aside from that issue with the vent -- no notable pulling. Thankfully, my first and greatest score, a Zegna blue blazer for $5, was a 39.
devil.gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How did the alterations turn out on this jacket? Do the sleeves need narrowing? Before:
28454971.jpg
After:
1609yt1.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
How did the alterations turn out on this jacket? Do the sleeves need narrowing?
When you posted this pic in another thread I immediately thought the sleeves needed narrowing. I didn't want to say anything, because not a lot of people want to do it. I have a couple of jackets that would benefit from sleeve narrowing, but I don't feel like I want to spend money on it right now. I still think the back is not ideal. Looks like the waist was taken in abruptly and aggressively. Overall, it looks good for a casual jacket imo.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
When you posted this pic in another thread I immediately thought the sleeves needed narrowing. I didn't want to say anything, because not a lot of people want to do it. I have a couple of jackets that would benefit from sleeve narrowing, but I don't feel like I want to spend money on it right now. I still think the back is not ideal. Looks like the waist was taken in abruptly and aggressively. Overall, it looks good for a casual jacket imo.
I don't think it looks terrible, but somethings sort of off. Did my tailor take the waist in too much? Keep in mind I have a pretty severe drop. (8'')

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it looks like you needed a 36 (I know they don't carry that size). It's not bad, but not perfect either. Forget about whatever you think is not right and wear it. It's good enough.

Also, your tailor might not be skilled enough. Think about it...

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, it looks like you needed a 36 (I know they don't carry that size). It's not bad, but not perfect either.

Definitely not. I think my tailor went overboard on the waist suppression.

The shoulders terminate exactly where they're supposed to. If I went with a 36, I'd be wearing a shrunken jacket. It looks like there slight overhang because it's unbuttoned.

When a tailor brings in the waist, does he trim off the unused material? I think I'd like to let out the waist slightly and narrow the sleeves (to eliminate the armpit bunching).

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Definitely not. I think my tailor went overboard on the waist suppression.

The shoulders terminate exactly where they're supposed to. If I went with a 36, I'd be wearing a shrunken jacket. It looks like there slight overhang because it's unbuttoned.

When a tailor brings in the waist, does he trim off the unused material? I think I'd like to let out the waist slightly and narrow the sleeves (to eliminate the armpit bunching).

It's also the armhole issue. From what I see it is too low. That's a limitation that you cannot get around. The tapering of the waist starts right where the armhole ends. Ideally, you would need a higher armhole and for the tapering to extend higher up your torso. I don't think you can do anything here besides letting it out a little. But then it will be too loose in the waist.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's also the armhole issue. From what I see it is too low. That's a limitation that you cannot get around. The tapering of the waist starts right where the armhole ends. Ideally, you would need a higher armhole and for the tapering to extend higher up your torso. I don't think you can do anything here besides letting it out a little. But then it will be too loose in the waist.

My tailor is usually pretty well regarded. He's turned up in a bunch of SF threads on DC tailors. He's no William Field, but pretty competent. Still, I can't pinpoint why it looks so mediocre.

Paging Despos...

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky
Which AE Penny Loafer is a better value at the price? Also what is better a 270 or a 360 welt? The Randolph http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552 or The Westchester http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552
The main difference (other than the welt) is that the Randolph has a moc toe. I personally prefer the look of the Westchester, though the Chili Grain Calf of the Randolph is kind of nice. How do you plan to wear it (and which color do you like?) If you are just getting black or dark brown, I think they will be equal quality, but the Westchester is a bit more appropriate if you are going to wear it with a suit. (It's kind of a dated look but still common.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads