1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. FineRags

FineRags New Member

First post here! looking forward to participating.

Quick Question.... about my next step for shoes.

At this point, I am building a wardrobe which consists of sportcoats and pants. Blazers all HF (Navy, black, PoW Glen Check, gray, etc.) and Nordstrom black, gray, and tan pants so far...

As far as shoes go, I have a pair of toecap oxfords and a pair of brown loafers. I was thinking to get a black pair a bit less formal, like a monk strap loafer (AE Boston?) and maybe a brown blutcher like the AE Sanford or a wingtip like the AE Strand in Walnut Calf. I'm also interested in opinions about adding a burgundy shoe (not sure what style) as I really like them.

Am i headed in the right direction? Any input appreciated. Which are most important to get first.

thanks in advance for your wisdom and direction!

2. Navi

Navi Senior member

Anyone have any advice for brands that sell chambray, or a similar looking fabric dress shirts? All I can find are normal chambray work shirts, but I want a normal dress shirt but with just the chambray fabric. Spread collar would be great.

I was looking around on mytailor and similar websites but there's just so damn many fabrics and the pictures suck so it wasn't much help. Cheers!

3. theDGA

theDGA Member

Quick question:

Where can I get this belt?

[​IMG]

4. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

Hi guys,i was looking for a shirt like this for a pretty long time,i've finally found it but they don't have it in stock [​IMG]
    Any ideas where i can get a yellow/lemon gingham check shirt for under 100$?
    something like this
    [​IMG]

5. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

Hello all. I'm a first timer on here and am looking for advice. I have scouted around a bit but would like some styling mentorship from some more knowledgeable people I need a suit and shoes(oxfords seem appropriate). I'm looking to spend around 800 but am thinking of bumping that up to 1000 to 1300 total. I'm thinking navy for the suit and brown shoes.
    The reason is for interviews for residencies. I was told to take out little extra money for loans and buy a nice suit. Any thoughts on where to look and what brands? I also have problems with clothing since I have kind of an athletic build. Not trying to sound full of myself but it poses a problem with some clothes I buy. I need to buy size larger but clothes end up fitting in the shoulders but baggy around the waist. I also have thicker than average thighs which sometimes make buying pants harder. I'm assuming a tailor will be necessary.
    Im in New York City and will be in southern California later this summer if there are any recommendations for stores in either area. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Also, I really like pocket squares. Are they appropriate? Thanks again.

I feel your pain with getting clothes that fit. A 42L fits me great until I wear it for 20 minutes and my arms fall asleep. So I gotta get a 44 baggy style. Same deal with the pants. I guess getting the bigger size is better cause you can take it in. I have to take a visit to a tailor too.

6. madcurry

madcurry Active Member

When a sport coat is sold as casual outerwear and sized S, M, L, XL, I gather that the sleeves don't need to be shortened like a regular sport coat, but should be worn longer like other casual jackets. Here are some examples of this sort of garment from BB:
    example 1
    example 2
    I have a few of these from Polo and BB in chino and corduroy . I took one into my tailor to have sleeves shortened last year, and he said that they should be kept long to meet with gloves in colder weather. Does this apply to a linen jacket like the first example? Though not SF approved, can I assume you would want the sleeves to be longer if worn with a short sleeve shirt?

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

When a sport coat is sold as casual outerwear and sized S, M, L, XL, I gather that the sleeves don't need to be shortened like a regular sport coat, but should be worn longer like other casual jackets.

I have a few of these from Polo and BB in chino and corduroy . I took one into my tailor to have sleeves shortened last year, and he said that they should be kept long to meet with gloves in colder weather. Does this apply to a linen jacket like the first example?

They're sportcoats, not overcoats; regardless of the sizing the sleeves should be the same length as any other sportcoat. That is, short enough to show some cuff. Only overcoats need to be long enough to overlap with gloves. This goes double for the linen one, which is clearly a summer coat so will likely never be worn with gloves.

8. tc20

tc20 Senior member

looking for RLPL alligator skin belt 36. PM if you are looking to sale,

Thanks

9. madcurry

madcurry Active Member

They're sportcoats, not overcoats; regardless of the sizing the sleeves should be the same length as any other sportcoat. That is, short enough to show some cuff. Only overcoats need to be long enough to overlap with gloves. This goes double for the linen one, which is clearly a summer coat so will likely never be worn with gloves.

Thanks for setting me strait. I think my tailor's reaction to the coat I brought in for adjustment may have confused me a bit. To be fair, the coat in question is very thick, heavily lined, corduroy that would be too hot to wear indoors, unless in the presence of a heat-miser. The linen coat sold in the outerwear section is what caused me to doubt my misconception.

10. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

What's the deal with pant sizing? Flipping through B&S I can see a lot of, say, Mabitex trousers all marked size 32 that vary from 15" flat to 16.75". That's a 3.5" delta! I could understand that with used (and therefore tailored) clothing, but it's all NWT. It doesn't seem to be different lines, though I could be wrong about that. Even if it is, should there be that much variance in a single manufacturer?

11. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

I found a pair of leather monk straps at a thrift store, and it was labeled "DO. GI. Made In Italy". Searched for it online with no success, anyone know what brand this is?

12. 1969

1969 Senior member

What pants would pair well with a black and white houndstooth sportcoat?

13. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

What's the deal with pant sizing? Flipping through B&S I can see a lot of, say, Mabitex trousers all marked size 32 that vary from 15" flat to 16.75". That's a 3.5" delta! I could understand that with used (and therefore tailored) clothing, but it's all NWT. It doesn't seem to be different lines, though I could be wrong about that. Even if it is, should there be that much variance in a single manufacturer?

They really do just vary quite a bit. I think those made for the European market tend to be smaller than those for the American market. Certain styles may be looser fitting than others as well. Plus of course there could be a small amount of variance in the method of measurement between different sellers.

14. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

There's not much love for black, or even navy odd trousers here in SF land but IMO your coat would go well with either. Black or white polo, or white open neck shirt to go with black trousers for casual events. White shirt and burgundy grenadine tie to go with navy trousers at work. Very light khakis or even linens for a spring look if the coat is lightweight but as it's roots are in tweed it leans more towards a cooler weather jacket.

15. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

They really do just vary quite a bit. I think those made for the European market tend to be smaller than those for the American market. Certain styles may be looser fitting than others as well. Plus of course there could be a small amount of variance in the method of measurement between different sellers.
    It was all in the same thread, but I'll just assume that's how much they vary. Thanks for the response. The US/EU thing makes sense anyway, bunch of lardos that we are.

16. 1969

1969 Senior member

There's not much love for black, or even navy odd trousers here in SF land but IMO your coat would go well with either. Black or white polo, or white open neck shirt to go with black trousers for casual events. White shirt and burgundy grenadine tie to go with navy trousers at work. Very light khakis or even linens for a spring look if the coat is lightweight but as it's roots are in tweed it leans more towards a cooler weather jacket.

Thanks, navy or black trousers is the only thing that came to mind. I could live with the former.

17. lenahan

lenahan Senior member

US and EU sizes are different. i.e. a US 50 is an EU 60, and the Japanese sizing system also differs. But I think the other issue is the fit was meant to be different. It is like comparing a slim fit and non slim fit. I am a large individual, and on more than one occasion I have purchased (say, 2 weeks in between), trousers in the same size from the same co, and one of them does not fit. For instance, OTR DJ trousers are far tighter than Suit Trousers from the same co. Think about this: If a manufacturing were going for a more Italian style, the fit would be tighter than, say, J. Press, which is one of the great champions of the Sack suit style.

18. Scotty

Scotty Senior member

Blue or black jeans work, too, if you like to wear a sports coat with it (I do).

19. bjorken

bjorken New Member

Anyone have a recommendation for a pair of leather weekend bags for him and her.
    In other words, two similar bags, the only difference should be that the female bag is a little smaller.

Budget : 1000 USD for both.

20. ezlau

ezlau Senior member