• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
May start a thread on this if the answer is in the negative:

is there a good list out there of solid old school shoe makers that I can depend on for vintage buys for beaters/casual shoes? So far I can tell that Florsheim Imperials are well respected, and that's up my alley; I'm looking for a few pairs of wingtips, though mostly short wings

Ryanimal

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find this jacket?

DOUBLE-BREASTED-CAMEL-COAT.jpeg

Izhitsa

Reaction score
Without delving into last details - does EG F width more or less correspond to C&J F width?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ryanimal
Anyone know where I can find this jacket?

DOUBLE-BREASTED-CAMEL-COAT.jpeg

Looks like a fairly common db 3/4 length overcoat. The link claims camel which would make it that much more common. On my screen it doesn't look camel but maybe it is.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArsenalDan
May start a thread on this if the answer is in the negative:

is there a good list out there of solid old school shoe makers that I can depend on for vintage buys for beaters/casual shoes? So far I can tell that Florsheim Imperials are well respected, and that's up my alley; I'm looking for a few pairs of wingtips, though mostly short wings

Florsheim Imperials were great, especially their beefy longwings. Besides that, you might consider Johnston and Murphy's Aristocraft line -- same deal. I believe those are both SF-approved, if that matters.

Beyond that, I like ET Wright; another American company that made solid, solid shoes, including all kinds of wingtips. Their Arch-Preserver dress shoes are contoured to the shape of the foot and have these cool-looking 'Roanoke, Virginia, UNION MADE' emblems stamped deep inside the insoles.

Nettleton is another (very) old school American shoemaker. Sometimes you can find their stuff popping up in thrift stores or on ebay.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Florsheim Imperials were great, especially their beefy longwings. Besides that, you might consider Johnston and Murphy's Aristocraft line -- same deal. I believe those are both SF-approved, if that matters.

Beyond that, I like ET Wright; another American company that made solid, solid shoes, including all kinds of wingtips. Their Arch-Preserver dress shoes are contoured to the shape of the foot and have these cool-looking 'Roanoke, Virginia, UNION MADE' emblems stamped deep inside the insoles.

Nettleton is another (very) old school American shoemaker. Sometimes you can find their stuff popping up in thrift stores or on ebay.

Thanks for this.

A couple more questins:

1) I've now seen this a couple of times: the company "Benchcraft"? Sounds like a shoe-maker that would be a little questionable, but don't know.

2) Do these companies vary on their sizing?

Artking3

Reaction score
I'm thnking of buying a pair of trousers which have had darts added. Can the darts be removed without ruining the trousers, and will the trousers return to its original state?

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artking3
I'm thnking of buying a pair of trousers which have had darts added. Can the darts be removed without ruining the trousers, and will the trousers return to its original state?

Doubtful. What kind of fabric?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got this huge, size 50, buttonless coat from Agnona -- basically, a very elegant cashmere sail -- I'd like to have tailored down to something like a slim-fitting pea coat. Is this advisable, or even possible? I see elsewhere that Zegna charges $10,000 for a custom Agnona coat; it'd be nice to get one for about two-hundred-ish (or whatever the tailor would end up charging).

Yes? No?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Is an asymmetrical tie tip a flaw? Or is it normal? I'm wondering about a Luciano Barbera unlined wool/cashmere tie that was purchased new with tags from Wilkes Bashford that listed retail value (as opposed to "compare to" etc.), but I'm wondering if it's possible that I got a second quality tie.

8string

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been browsing these forums for a few days now and must say there seems to be good advice floating around here. I decided to buy a Suit from Jeff the wizard of Aahs and emailed him and told him I heard about him hear and he's giving me a great deal on a Marco Valentino suit from his ebay site.

The suit will likely need to be altered a bit perhaps the seat waist and thighs let out a bit. I have runners legs. The suit is a super 160's and very light weight and perhaps difficult to work with. can any one recomend a good tailor in the greater Toronto area.

Thanks

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kslim
I found this really nice navy Dior suit but I have no idea about their suits. What's everyone's opinions?
Dior's suits are pretty nicely made, they're just rather expensive and if you're buying online there are MANY fakes out there so avoid anything other then a high end online retailer.also understand the cut is probably best for model bodies and may go 'out of fashion' within a few years in terms of styling.
Originally Posted by silvermagenta
My wool trouser's pockets from flaring. Is it the cut, fabric, a combination or something else I'm not thinking of?
probably means it's too tight around the circumference of your mid-body, thighs, butt, etc.
Originally Posted by St. John
Any thoughts from Canadian forum users on Coppley MTM suits. I'm looking at getting one done. the fabric is a Loro Piana Super 120. I've never really looked at Coppley in the shops before. the price tag would run to a little over 1100, with vest.
Thanks.

I hear good things about Sammy. I've seen Sam and Coppley and find both will end up fitting nicely with the MTM program but the problem for me is they lack any sort of styling that the designer brands just have built in. There's no room for design with this level of MTM, just a better fit.
Originally Posted by SimplyHemp
Looking to have a suit made in Toronto/GTA, recomendations/favorite places appreciated.
PM sent...
Originally Posted by 8string
can any one recomend a good tailor in the greater Toronto area. Thanks
yep, do a search. This has been covered MANY times and there is a very comprehensive list of recommended people... if you've searched and still somehow can't find the threads then message me and I'll link them for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads