• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika
Could be American Apparel or Alternative Apparel.

If it's American Apparel, they're pretty good quality cotton. Makes for a good silkscreen job.

milkisgood

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a lot of questions about this, but where can I find a business suit that is relatively inexpensive.
I'm a pretty slim guy, so could someone recommend a store and brand for me?

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milkisgood
I'm sure there are a lot of questions about this, but where can I find a business suit that is relatively inexpensive.

Inexpensive is much too vague. Best if you can give a range for us to better narrow down choices.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milkisgood

pretty slim is also vague... height, weight? what's your drop (difference between chest measurement and waist measurement

twosaabs

Reaction score
One of the members had helped me to I.D. these shoes that I picked up at a thrift shop as probably made by Cheaney. After doing a lot of reading on the forum, I'm now wondering if they are Shell or Calf. Would anyone be able to tell from the photo or be able to give me any ideas about how I can tell?? Any ideas appreciated!

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
I'm going mad over the back fits of my some of my jackets. I need to start buying bespoke! If only I could afford Kilgour or Steed. That or fill out more. Thoughts?

I just realized that the back vent doesn't close on the navy jacket when buttoned.
facepalm.gif
I can also see an obvious collar gap and roll on the back. (Doesn't lay flat)

On both jackets, I see excess fabric under the arms.

An average person wouldn't bat an eye (well, maybe with the weird single vent closing problem), but I've succumbed to iGent obsessive compulsive disorder.

jsnlmp.jpg

I have the same problem with single vented jackets. The slimmer the fit, the more it opens on the back. I am sure it's due to my muscular quads and rear end.

k1d.

Reaction score
I'm looking to start up a decent wardrobe for a college student for when I need to dress up for occasions..

Currently I have...
A black TaT suit
anddddd thats it.

I'm looking to add another suit to the collection.. what color would benefit me most?
Khaki/Charcoal/Grey?

As for dress shirts.. I currently only have one white shirt.. what other variations do you guys suggest?

I have no dress shoes at all.. looking to get a black and brown pair.. do you guys have any suggestions for brand and models?

I would love to also grow my sock + tie collection.. and certain brands and colorways/designs you guys think are essential?

Thanks so much

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a solid 2-button charcoal suit in 38R with a trouser waist that can be let out to 35". My price range is <$750. Any idea what labels I should be looking at? It sounds like I need to go MTM...

Se7en

Reaction score
1.How much approximately Roy Robson classic tuxedo is worth ? In dollars
2. On the Hugo Boss jacket are written "Super 100" and on the pants label are written "Hugo Boss Angelico/Parma", What "Super 100" and "Hugo Boss Angelico/Parma" means ? and how much the suit is worth?

Torrente

Reaction score
Would appreciate if anyone knows what is, if any, the difference, fit-wise, between black label and white label Barba shirts (black base/white lettering and vice versa)? If there is any difference is it manageable to size up or down to compensate?

Thanks in advance.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
I'm going mad over the back fits of my some of my jackets. I need to start buying bespoke! If only I could afford Kilgour or Steed. That or fill out more. Thoughts? I just realized that the back vent doesn't close on the navy jacket when buttoned.
facepalm.gif
I can also see an obvious collar gap and roll on the back. (Doesn't lay flat) On both jackets, I see excess fabric under the arms. An average person wouldn't bat an eye (well, maybe with the weird single vent closing problem), but I've succumbed to iGent obsessive compulsive disorder.
jsnlmp.jpg

The jacket on the left may have been taken in too much on the hip and could be let out but another cause on this jacket is a long back. you can see the horizontal wrinkles under the collar. You probably have shoulders that are high/square compared to the cut of the jacket. if you pull up on the center back seam at the collar you will see the center vent straighten out. This problem is also common on anyone with an erect posture. center vented jackets need correct front/back balance to hang properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads