• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, if ever ron-ron was going to go off on somebody .. that would definitely be my candidate. funny quote from kobe this morning about marc gasol punching him in the face (accidentally, apologized afterward, classy move) ... something along the lines of "i would have hated to see pau's little brother get beat up."

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...-on-the-knicks

But this last time against Boston -- you know that game where they disallowed Stoudemire's three? -- Kevin Garnett lost it. He was cursing me out for no reason. Maybe because Stoudemire gave him 39 points, but take that vulgarity to Stoudemire. I'm not holding you and I did not even say s--- to Garnett the whole game. That really surprised me. He lost it. He was cursing at me the whole game. He needs to calm the f--- down.

Well, you know what? It came back to bite him in the butt because STAT is starting for the East in the All-Star Game and KG is not.
Next time they come -- [Spike checks the Knicks schedule] -- is on March 21st. So look, I don't like the Celtics, but I respect Doc [Rivers]. Doc's a good friend. You know I love Ray Allen. I hate the Celtics, but look, they've got good guys on that team. I've got friends on that team. Nate's on the team. But Garnett needs to calm the f--- down. There's no reason he should be cursing at me the way he did the last game. So you can put that in the article. It was disrespectful and I would never do nothing like that to him.

That's crazy. Garnett has definitely had his share of temper tantrums -- no question about that.
I'm not even playing and I didn't say nothing to him the whole game anyway. So if you're mad, start cursing out STAT, Stoudemire. But you're not going to do that s--- because Stoudemire's not going to take it. So he cursed at me and I'm 5-6½, 150. What he was saying was worse than Reggie Miller. It was uncalled for.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
Hahahahaha

There is a whole generation of basketball fans that will remember KG as nothing but a punk ass motherfucker. Which is pretty much what he is.

Someone needs to knock him the **** out. Seriously. Maybe then he'll calm down and just play basketball. Where are you, Anthony Peeler?

Maurice Lucas.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll believe Bynum for Melo when I see it. And plz LA fans, no wet dreams about getting rid of Artest or Walton.

Originally Posted by Cordwinder
How much of the better shooting is from the changes in rules? Didn't Michael Jordan say that he would be averaging 100 points if he were playing with today's rules during his prime? (or something like that)
nah dude, actual shooting. like FT% has steadily increased. other %s have gone up as well, and if you look around the league there aren't too many players w/ crazy releases like in the vintage years.
Originally Posted by Walking Man
I'm not sure if I can say its the skill level that has changed since the 90's but nowadays athleticism is taken over skill every time, that's why you see a lot of players getting huge contracts based on potential. What I consider the biggest difference from then to now is the competitiveness of players. A lot of players don't care as much as they used to thats why we get a weaker product.
Lol thank you old man. Weaker product are you kidding me?? League's more star-studded and there's as much good basketball now than there's ever been.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As intriguing as a Melo-Bynum trade is, I don't really see Denver trading their superstar to a Western Conference opponent. I've always thought it was pretty stupid, but teams will almost always accept a lesser package to trade their superstar out of conference or out of the division rather than trade him to a division or conference opponent who offers a better deal. When the Lakers traded Shaq, they accepted Miami's offer even though teams like Dallas had a better offer on the table. At the end of the day, Knicks will upgrade their poo poo platter deal to Denver and Denver will accept that deal even though nobody on the Knicks has as much potential as Bynum.
Originally Posted by foodguy
this will be interesting to follow. call me a cynical old reporter, but my guess is that the "sources close to the deal" are probably melo's agents, who are trying to negotiate a deal with the knicks despite not having a second buyer to play against them.
If Carmelo wants to go to the Knicks, why would his camp try to do this when all it does is increase Denver's leverage with Knicks? Right now, the Knicks have the upper hand because they're the only team negotiating with Denver because the other teams are spooked that Melo will not sign an extension with them after he gets traded. If a team like the Lakers get involved, then Denver can play the Lakers offer against the Knicks to get a better deal from the Knicks. But, if Melo wants to play for the Knicks, then its in his best interests that the Knicks get away with offering the worst possible package to Denver because it means he will join a stronger Knicks team that didn't have to give up too much to get him. As Lakers fans, we've all agreed to forget that dark period when Kobe demanded a trade. We've all chosen to forget that Kobe would have been traded but he nixed a possible deal to Chicago because he felt Chicago would have had to give up too much to get him where he'd end up on a average Chicago team not good enough to win the Championship.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hollinger's got an interesting trade scenario where the Lakers take on a shitload of cash in a 3-way with Toronto and Denver but get Jose Calderon and Melo. They definitely need a point so I can see that actually working out.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
If Carmelo wants to go to the Knicks, why would his camp try to do this when all it does is increase Denver's leverage with Knicks? Right now, the Knicks have the upper hand because they're the only team negotiating with Denver because the other teams are spooked that Melo will not sign an extension with them after he gets traded. If a team like the Lakers get involved, then Denver can play the Lakers offer against the Knicks to get a better deal from the Knicks.

that's one point of view. the other is that if there is only one buyer bargaining for your product, Melo, introducing even the rumor of a competitor can help you get a better price. seems like that's the simplest and most direct scenario ...

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
KGs greatest moments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Originally Posted by HRoi
Hahahahaha

There is a whole generation of basketball fans that will remember KG as nothing but a punk ass motherfucker. Which is pretty much what he is.

Someone needs to knock him the **** out. Seriously. Maybe then he'll calm down and just play basketball. Where are you, Anthony Peeler?

Originally Posted by RFX45
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...-on-the-knicks

There are few things that are both trivial and make me feel good about myself than my eternal hate for Kevin Garnett. Even when he was with the T-Wolves and 85-90% of bball fans were like "KG's a warrior. He always brings 100%" my response was "really? He's always 100% asshole, that's for sure" I never liked the guy and it gives me the warm and fuzzies knowing that he'll always be known as a punk ass *****.

There are few players I genuinely hope for season ending injuries on...he is always one of them.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd trade Kobe for Melo straight up!
peepwall[1].gif

Kobe got too many miles on him already.
frown.gif

Besides, he loves Denver!
teacha.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, so who do you hate worse? kevin garnett or paul pierce? i'm gonna have to get back to you on that one. it's a really sad team when rondo is only third-most detestable player.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, so who do you hate worse? kevin garnett or paul pierce? i'm gonna have to get back to you on that one. it's a really sad team when rondo is only third-most detestable player.

Garnett, easy. The only unlikeable thing PP has done is wheelchair-gate.

Also, Rondo isn't 3rd most detestable...he's #5.

These guys take up #3-4 spots...
alg_celtics_celebrate.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

i hate pierce more

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I'd trade Kobe for Melo straight up!
peepwall[1].gif

And that's why Jerry Buss owns the Lakers, Mitch runs them, and Phil coaches them...
smile.gif

Almost any deal bringing 'Melo to the Lakers is a disaster. Not even considering what they give up, he'll...
1) take half the court away from Kobe on o;
2) not learn the triangle;
3) not pass much;
4) not play defense;
5) not rebound;
6) not be a leader (he's not Billups);
7) OK, he's a better scorer than Glen Rice...
sarcasm.gif
plain.gif
rolleyes.gif

Plus, just not enough size.

Even Melo and Calderon for Bynum and either Artest or Odom would be bad. We need Bynum. Artest can go, but he won't. Odom is better off the bench than as a starter.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL

You think Kobe is going to play forever? He's gone in a couple of years, unfortunately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads