Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    SHHHIIIIIIIIIITT: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6101304

CARMELO TO THE LAKERS IN TALKS

this will be interesting to follow. call me a cynical old reporter, but my guess is that the "sources close to the deal" are probably melo's agents, who are trying to negotiate a deal with the knicks despite not having a second buyer to play against them.
    he's a great talent, but i don't think he'd be a good fit for the lakes. first, we don't need another forward. trading bynum would mean moving gasol back to center, which is an awkward fit, as witnessed by the sudden increase in points in the paint by the opposition every time they rotate that way now. plus, i just don't see melo voluntarily taking a backseat to kobe, which is a prerequisite for anyone coming to the team.

2. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

perkins and melo on the knicks sounds good to me

3. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Not too shabby but Gasol would end up logging a shit load of min.

Considering how worn down he's looked at times this year, this really worries me.

Then again, a young 20-something center who's always hurt and in serious danger of never living up to his full potential worries me, too.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Considering how worn down he's looked at times this year, this really worries me.
    +1

Then again, a young 20-something center who's always hurt and in serious danger of never living up to his full potential worries me, too.

i'm not as concerned as maybe i ought to be. if he was having recurring injuries in the same area, that would imply some kind of ongoing structural weakness. but i've seen this before with these big kids ... it's like their growth spurt outpaced their body's infrastructure ... once they have a chance to catch up, they can have long careers. and the difference for hte lakers defensively when he's in the game is remarkable.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Like what I have been telling you all, if the Lakers gets the chance to get rid of Bynum for Melo, it could possibly happen. LA will soon becomes Griffins town once Kobe retires or Jackson leaves next year. The Lakers need a new face for the franchise, Melo is only 26 and that is young enough to get a few rings for the Lakers.

The main problem is that one of Lakers biggest asset is their size, with Bynum gone it'll even it out in the paint with the other teams. With that said, the Lakers go small to end the games anyways so I think they can adapt. If this trade does happen, I think we might see Melo play some 4 with Artest/Barnes playing the 3. To finish the game, it'll be Fisher/Blake, Kobe, Melo, Odom and Pau so it can work.

DO IT MITCH!

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

i'm not as concerned as maybe i ought to be. if he was having recurring injuries in the same area, that would imply some kind of ongoing structural weakness. but i've seen this before with these big kids ... it's like their growth spurt outpaced their body's infrastructure ... once they have a chance to catch up, they can have long careers. and the difference for hte lakers defensively when he's in the game is remarkable.
    Isn't the knee he had the surgery on this past off-season the same knee that has been bothering him and has kept him out for all these years? Keep in mind that he still isn't 100% right now.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

LA will soon becomes Griffins town once Kobe retires or Jackson leaves next year. The Lakers need a new face for the franchise, Melo is only 26 and that is young enough to get a few rings for the Lakers.

DO IT MITCH!

here's the thing, i dont think Melo is 'few rings' caliber or even championship level caliber in terms of a team leader.

also, my allegiance falls toward Kobe more than the laker franchise. i (selfishly) hope that the lakers would go through a small dry spell after Kobe retires. if they continue to win rings even after Kobe retires that would kind of trivialize kobe's reign . i guess.

8. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

LATEST UPDATE: jerry buss' son nixes melo deal will not trade bynum! welcome to ny carmelo!

9. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

here's the thing, i dont think Melo is 'few rings' caliber or even championship level caliber in terms of a team leader.

also, my allegiance falls toward Kobe more than the laker franchise. i (selfishly) hope that the lakers would go through a small dry spell after Kobe retires. if they continue to win rings even after Kobe retires that would kind of trivialize kobe's reign . i guess.

[​IMG] Huh!? No offense, that's a pretty dumb line of thinking.

I had the same thought as RFX...get Melo, ease the transition from superstar Kobe, to grizzled vet Kobe, to retired Kobe ([​IMG] ) and keep the rings coming.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i don't think you need a kobe-quality player to win. i'd argue that right now san antonio doesn't have one and neither does boston. they've got a collection of players that are at the gasol-odom level and lower, but that fit together well.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

[​IMG] Huh!? No offense, that's a pretty dumb line of thinking.

I had the same thought as RFX...get Melo, ease the transition from superstar Kobe, to grizzled vet Kobe, to retired Kobe ([​IMG] ) and keep the rings coming.

well, for me anyways, my fanhood revolves mainly around Kobe. it is still with the Lakers, but since Kobe had such a tumultuous past and road that he has been on, i feel for him and has been a greater fan of him than the Lakers as an entity. if in the hypothetical scenario that kobe goes to another team i would cheer for that team to win a championship. just me. trust me im still a big fan of the Lakers.

12. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

trust me im still a big fan of the Lakers.

Right.

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i don't think you need a kobe-quality player to win. i'd argue that right now san antonio doesn't have one and neither does boston. they've got a collection of players that are at the gasol-odom level and lower, but that fit together well.

its a league of superstars... all NBA champions have a blue chip superstar/superduperstar. if there were past champions who didn't (2004 pistons) then its is the exception to the rule.

this isn't football in that sense...

the spurs have 3 superstars. the celtics have 3. the lakers have 2 (as of now).

gasol is a superstar (a soft one but still can put up 20/10/2 averages), rondo is a superstar, parker and giniobili duncan are superstars. you need superstars to win in the NBA.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

its a league of superstars... all NBA champions have a blue chip superstar/superduperstar. if there were past champions who didn't (2004 pistons) then its is the exception to the rule.

this isn't football in that sense...

the spurs have 3 superstars. the celtics have 3. the lakers have 2 (as of now).

gasol is a superstar (a soft one but still can put up 20/10/2 averages), rondo is a superstar, parker and giniobili duncan are superstars. you need superstars to win in the NBA.

i think we're suffering from a bit of "superstar" inflation. rondo is a great point, not anywhere close to a kobe/durant/melo. duncan might once have been, but no more. neither parker nor ginobili. nor pierce, nor ray allen. nor gasol for that matter. these are all great players, but they're fours, not fives.

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i think we're suffering from a bit of "superstar" inflation. rondo is a great point, not anywhere close to a kobe/durant/melo. duncan might once have been, but no more. neither parker nor ginobili. nor pierce, nor ray allen. nor gasol for that matter. these are all great players, but they're fours, not fives.

the fact is there IS a superstar inflation now. which is a great thing right? just remember back in the 90's where guys like glen robinson, harold miner, and jerry stackhouse were a reason to watch a game.

we're a little spoiled now watching our favorite teams (Bos/LA) because of the wealth of superstar talent they have (aged/soft/ect). Rondo is a superstar, he may not be able to shoot, but shaq couldn't hit a free throw either.

disregarding the triangle offense (which breaks down when kobe reaches the 4th Q anyway) think of how much easier it would be if you could have a superstar point guard like chris paul/rondo dishing to kobe/gasol/odom setting them up for easier high percentage shots.

here's rondo's stat line: 10.9ppg/4.3rpg/12.4apg/2.4spg

thats 11pts he scores and also (at least) 24pts he set up through assists. 35total points of offense he helped create. on top of great defense and over 4 rebounds to boot.

looks like superstar stats to me.