1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Of course Kobe won't play forever....

But 'Melo is no replacement.

And who exactly is?

Kobe's don't come around that often. Once Kobe retires... Bynum or Gasol won't lead them anywhere without a good guard. Might as well give up one of the big guys for a young guy like Melo.

2. venessian

venessian Senior member

3. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Durant would be awesome, but don't know how they would get him.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Durant.
    lakers never really acquired their star guards/wingmen through trade or free agent signings in mid career. it was always through the draft. i know kobe was acquired through draft day trade, but was still an unknown commodity at the time... and did baby him along to full development. kobe, baylor, jerry west, Magic, worthy were all drafted and developed by the lakers but the famous laker bigmen were always acquired through FA signing or trade at mid career points: kareem, wilt, shaq, gasol, mikan (luckily acquired though but still already in full career form). i guess the trend is that its better to acquire a big man in mid career, since its easier to evaluate his value as to skill and health level rather than developing them like they did with guards. i'm thinking the lakers just want to cut bait with bynum and make a all out run at D. Howard in 2012. Its the SOP of the lakers get bigmen mid career anyway. Trading for carmelo provides the blue chip offense guy to complement howard for the future and a bridge for the waning kobe years. it would be interesting to see what kobe thinks of having carmelo on his team. i know they are friends, but still you have to think kobe wants to win now with bynums size against the other contenders then integrate carmelo and win with offense.

5. venessian

venessian Senior member

^ Good points.

My Durant comment was a joke. He would be a great replacement for Kobe, but I really doubt OKC would let him go, breaking up a great young team.

I know Kobe liked playing with 'Melo during the Olympics, but I have no idea if he wants him day-to-day in the NBA. Big difference.

This supposed 'Melo-LA trade could work, but how exactly?
    Will 'Melo sign an LA extension?

Kobe <> Melo won't happen. Kobe's not going to play in Denver: he has a no-trade clause.

Bynum <> Melo. I'd take it. But does Denver want or need need Bynum alone? They have Nene. And do we really want Gasol to be a full-time center???

Artest + Odom <> 'Melo. LA gives up a great, tough defender and one of the best 6th men around besides 2 rebounders??? With 'Melo starting, where's the LA bench/boards against SA, Boston, etc?

Bynum + Artest <> 'Melo. I'm fine with Bynum going, maybe Artest too, but we'd need more coming back, I think. Some 3-way deal.

That said, if the Lakers do acquire 'Melo, and he does sign an extension, with some combo of those players gone + salary cap issues how does LA possibly get Howard in '12? With what?

Finally, this all fun speculation but what I really want to know is who will be coaching the Lakers next year.

6. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

7. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

OJFC. I agree with some others that the rumor is most likely bullshit, but if Buss really turned down a Melo for Bynum offer, that's some Isaiah Thomas-grade crack he's smoking right there

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

PS - I looked up "short man complex" in the dictionary, it had a picture of Nate Robinson next to it [​IMG]

10. venessian

venessian Senior member

OJFC. I agree with some others that the rumor is most likely bullshit, but if Buss really turned down a Melo for Bynum offer, that's some Isaiah Thomas-grade crack he's smoking right there

I think Buss would take that deal, straight up, in a heart-beat. But he sure as hell isn't going to give Bynum away just to rent 'Melo for 1/2 a season.

But I also think this is just still Denver trying to push off an IT cracked-out Knicks deal until the 24th, to hopefully add to the value of the draft pick(s) they get.

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

DeJuan Blair 28pts, 11 rebs/ 2 blocks

12. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

I heard the Spurs are going to trade Blair for Melo just for the playoff run. Denver would be stupid not to take that deal..Blair is an absolute beast and superior to just about any center in the entire NBA. He would be the future of that franchise and the league.

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

Brian Shaw

B Shawwwwwwwww

14. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

that's one point of view. the other is that if there is only one buyer bargaining for your product, Melo, introducing even the rumor of a competitor can help you get a better price. seems like that's the simplest and most direct scenario ...

Who's the 'you', Melo or the Nuggets?

I can see why the Nuggets would float this Lakers trade out there, but I still don't see how this would have helped Melo.

15. guster

guster Senior member

"I never liked the guy and it gives me the warm and fuzzies knowing that he'll always be known as a punk ass bitch.
    There are few players I genuinely hope for season ending injuries on...he is always one of them.[/quote]"

I agree that Garnett takes the intensity thing too far. However, I do find it ironic that Laker fans question the character of Garnett when they have Ron King Punk Artest and Kobe accusued rapist Bryant on the team.

Pierce? Does he whine - yup - but hard to find many people in the league that whine more than Kobe. Bryant is one of the yop 2-3 players in the game, maybe even the best and he has to be one of the biggest crybabies in the league. Folks like Kobe and Labron get away with bloody murder on the court and they non-stop whine about every call against them. At least Garnett does not bitch about every call

But I don't hope for season ending injury to Kobe. He is a great player and makes the league more exciting. Just wish he would shut up more - just like Garnett needs to tone down the intensity routine.