• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fourier
I asked, and the bride and groom are both fairly open. My only concern was that navy or charcoal might upstage the brown on the formality spectrum.

It sounds rather easy going. I would say, don't over think it. Everyone is going to be focused on the bride and groom. If the groomsmen have decent brown suits, that's fine, but if not, you will also probably be fine in something else. I might be tempted to go more towards the mid gray (is it a daytime wedding?), but as long as none of you wear something garish, you will not be upstaging them.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a resource on SF or t'internet where I can learn to identify suit styles as they've changed since the 80s?

I ask because I see the ' great' deals for suits on eBay only to have someone tell me, that " the suit is from 2000".

I don't want to buy a pre-owned suit and then turn up to work looking like I've dropped in from circa 1988.

Better question would be - How do you know from a picture whether the pre-owned suit is five years old, one year old or the new new thing?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
Is there a resource on SF or t'internet where I can learn to identify suit styles as they've changed since the 80s? I ask because I see the ' great' deals for suits on eBay only to have someone tell me, that " the suit is from 2000". I don't want to buy a pre-owned suit and then turn up to work looking like I've dropped in from circa 1988. Better question would be - How do you know from a picture whether the pre-owned suit is five years old, one year old or the new new thing?
Others can correct me but here goes....Around 5 years ago, there was a sea change in mens' suits. The shoulders didn't extend as far out as the 90s and were cut more closely to the shoulder. The notch and the buttoning point on the jacket also raised. Also the hem of the pants was raised so that in some cases today, there is non existent break. The whole silhouette of the suit became closer fitting to the body as well: for example, the suits in Miami Vice flapped around like flags compared to the trimmer suits of today. So the jacket and pants became much leaner....cut much closer to the body. Also...3 or 4 button suits - just avoid them. Unfortunately....what you'll still find is that a lot of garden variety manufacturers haven't altered their pattern. So it's harder to get an idea of what's contemporary.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by che
Hai Guys,

I am a blogger in Holland on mens style. I'd like to know your view/opinion on Dutch street style. Here is a variaty of things I came across.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iq1GFpFsTx..._27-1-2011.png

blog7_27-1-2011.png

Please react. I am curious!

Greetings,

ChÃ
00a9.png

Che....I suggest you post the suit pics in the non-sartorialist thread and the casual pix in the streetwear thread.

Fourier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
It sounds rather easy going. I would say, don't over think it. Everyone is going to be focused on the bride and groom. If the groomsmen have decent brown suits, that's fine, but if not, you will also probably be fine in something else. I might be tempted to go more towards the mid gray (is it a daytime wedding?), but as long as none of you wear something garish, you will not be upstaging them.

Good point, thanks!

newguy

Reaction score
What's a decent briefcase (under 200$) for a young guy on his first real job (grinding at a bank, downtown)?

AlphaAndTheOmega

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
Is there a resource on SF or t'internet where I can learn to identify suit styles as they've changed since the 80s? I ask because I see the ' great' deals for suits on eBay only to have someone tell me, that " the suit is from 2000". I don't want to buy a pre-owned suit and then turn up to work looking like I've dropped in from circa 1988. Better question would be - How do you know from a picture whether the pre-owned suit is five years old, one year old or the new new thing?
Anyone? Sorta don't want to make a thread for this question

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlphaAndTheOmega
Question about hangers:

Where can a get a good quality hanger for my RLBL suit that is not expensive (ie. not Hanger Project). Are any of these acceptable?
http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-H...6589098&sr=1-9
http://www.amazon.com/Woodlore-84071...589109&sr=1-48

Those will work. The key is that the hangar is shaped and bent. Hell, even plastic is fine, as long as the shape is good. They just won't look as nice.

Also, if you're interested in cheap, thrift stores and flea markets often have a few ripe for the taking, and I don't think I've ever seen 'em priced at more than a buck each. Hell, I've gotten a three pack of nice wood ones (One missing the dowel, but hey- I use it for a sportcoat) for all of 75 cents.

Originally Posted by AlphaAndTheOmega
Anyone? Sorta don't want to make a thread for this question

You develop an eye for it by knowing what to look for. Unfortunately, that ain't a quick question. If you're unsure at all about how a suit looks or how it will fit, don't buy it online. Hit up a few thrift stores where you can try stuff on and get a feel for things first. Also remember that a lot of menswear remains fairly independent of fashion trends. For sure, not all does, but you can find classic tailoring without any extremes from pretty much any date. Also remember that cycles in suit styles often move very slowly, and that only the extremes will really be noticed. Wearing an 80's 6x1 DB ain't gonna fly today. It's an extreme. And the skintight Thom Clowne suit ain't gonna fly in 5-10 years either. It's another extreme, though it's 'in' right now.

Basically, the 80's were overbuilt and drapy. Lots of extra fabric, lots of landing strip shoulders. They're easy enough to pick out. 90's, you'll see a lot of lower notches and not quite as broad shoulders. 70's, don't ask. Anything before that won't be all that cheap to get, so you're probably not looking at it. Anything newer would look fine. Hell, a fair bit of 90's stuff looks fine. Ans stuff that doesn't fall into any fashion extreme will of course, look fine.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does it mean when a seller says that a jacket they're selling is 'fully lined'? Why is it a good thing?

Nb: Is it the same as a suit being fully canvassed? if so, I have the answer to my questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics