1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

What does it mean when a seller says that a jacket they're selling is 'fully lined'? Why is it a good thing?

Nb: Is it the same as a suit being fully canvassed? if so, I have the answer to my questions.

Saying a jacket is fully lined is mostly a marketing technique, it doesn't mean it is better, it just means that the whole back, arms and sides have lining. This is not the same thing as fully canvassed. The canvassing is in between the lining and the suit's outer fabric in the front sections of the jacket.

2. PipersSon

PipersSon Distinguished Member

Thank you patrickBOOTH. I get it now.

3. pharris201

pharris201 Member

Hi
    Can anyone ID the coat that Brian Williams is wearing on Nightly news from Cairo?

4. bleachboy

bleachboy Distinguished Member

Saying a jacket is fully lined is mostly a marketing technique, it doesn't mean it is better, it just means that the whole back, arms and sides have lining. This is not the same thing as fully canvassed. The canvassing is in between the lining and the suit's outer fabric in the front sections of the jacket.

In fact, a partially lined jacket may be superior (sorta) to a fully lined one, as the seams and such must be nicely finished because they won't be hidden by lining.

5. PBristolJr

PBristolJr Active Member

Where to buy AE Strand, walnut size 12.. any good way to get 2nd's?

6. PipersSon

It seems to me that sellers of top end sportcoats (e.g. Zegnas, Canalis) on SF and elsewhere often do not advertise canvassing in their products.

Questions: Is canvassing not a factor when puchasing high end SCs, unlike in suits? So, while the best suits shoudl be canvassed, that is not the case for SCs?

7. Nicola

Nicola Distinguished Member

It seems to me that sellers of top end sportcoats (e.g. Zegnas, Canalis) on SF and elsewhere often do not advertise canvassing in their products.

Questions: Is canvassing not a factor when puchasing high end SCs, unlike in suits? So, while the best suits shoudl be canvassed, that is not the case for SCs?

No difference between a jacket paired with pants and a jacket sold on it's own. The same build issues exist.

No point pushing canvassing in ads if the average customer has no idea what it is or if they should care.

Your ads should push things that people have an idea about.

8. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior Member

Hi, posted this in SW&D section and didnt get much of a response - was hoping MC could be a little more helpful:

Which tshirt fits better? Both are from Sunspel - the white is a small while the gray is a medium (the accidentally sent me the wrong size).

[​IMG]

9. PBristolJr

PBristolJr Active Member

Seeing you on the streets, grey looks better in my opinion.

10. PipersSon

No difference between a jacket paired with pants and a jacket sold on it's own. The same build issues exist.

No point pushing canvassing in ads if the average customer has no idea what it is or if they should care.

Your ads should push things that people have an idea about.

Thanks for your reply.

11. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior Member

12. PBristolJr

PBristolJr Active Member

what kind of cuff is this?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Angle cut.

13. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior Member

Angle cut.

Often also called a 'mitered' cuff.

14. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior Member

15. Abstraktmind

Abstraktmind Senior Member

I bought a suit off of SF, the measurements to the jacket were perfect, but the pants were 35 and I'm a 32. He said it could be tailored to fit, is it possible or did I just take a loss?