Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

I bought a suit off of SF, the measurements to the jacket were perfect, but the pants were 35 and I'm a 32. He said it could be tailored to fit, is it possible or did I just take a loss?

It's impossible to tell you conclusively in this context. Have the pants ever been altered previously? How much space is there between the back pockets?

Honestly your best bet is to go to a tailor and ask if they can be taken in.

2. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Often also called a 'mitered' cuff.

I really like that on barrel cuffs. Been choosing it on my MTM shirts when I don't get double cuffs, I think it looks a bit more dressed than traditional square or rounded.

3. Abstraktmind

Abstraktmind Senior member

It's impossible to tell you conclusively in this context. Have the pants ever been altered previously? How much space is there between the back pockets?

Honestly your best bet is to go to a tailor and ask if they can be taken in.

I think that was the size he bought with the suit. But i just want to know if its posssible to turn. 35 to a 32, not judt waist, but also taper the legs as well?

4. timpdx

timpdx Member

First post here, but figured I would get a better answer. Tar. What do I do about a small tar stain that I just got on a cotton dress shirt? Go figure, I am the guy who just wore his first tie to his casual job this week and of course I get a spot of tar, hopefully dressing well is not cursed for me [​IMG] Reading on the web I see all sorts of "remedies" from just giving it to the dry cleaners, to nail polish remover, dabbing it out.... any advice? great forum, longtime lurker

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

First post here, but figured I would get a better answer.

Tar. What do I do about a small tar stain that I just got on a cotton dress shirt?

Go figure, I am the guy who just wore his first tie to his casual job this week and of course I get a spot of tar, hopefully dressing well is not cursed for me [​IMG]

Reading on the web I see all sorts of "remedies" from just giving it to the dry cleaners, to nail polish remover, dabbing it out....

any advice?

great forum, longtime lurker

You need to chemically break up the tar. I've seen WD-40 recommended for such use, but I've never tried it. Stuff like naptha will probably work, but when you're buying that, remember that it's used as lighter fluid. Hell, you can buy lighter fluid straight up and use that.

I would just bring it to a dry cleaner to have them launder it. They'll have stuff on hand and experience.

6. PBristolJr

PBristolJr Active Member

Which tie knot do you use for different situations?

7. binge

binge Senior member

Four-in-hand for all.

8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I think that was the size he bought with the suit. But i just want to know if its posssible to turn. 35 to a 32, not judt waist, but also taper the legs as well?

How much are you willing to spend? In theory the pants can be totally taken apart and recut. It's a lot more expensive then just making the waist a little smaller.

So best take it to a tailor and see how much work it'll really take. Possible yes but until the person doing the work looks at it you'll never know if it makes sense.

9. PBristolJr

PBristolJr Active Member

Four-in-hand for all.

That's what I've been doing, but it seems the older crowd prefers the half windsor for some reason.

10. dasai

dasai Senior member

I recently ordered a pair of moleskins from Scotland (three cheers for no VAT outside the EU!). They came today. Aside from some ambivalence about the Lovat color I went with (they are greener than in the images on the website), there is a very small fray in the fabric on the back, almost like a moth hole on a suit. (Sorry, no picture at the moment; camera needs charging.) Should I bother sending them back to get them replaced with a fresh pair, or just get the hole patched when I go to the tailor's to have the hems taken up? And also, what the hell do I wear with light grey-green pants?

11. gladiator

gladiator Member

question about my jackets. All the jackets I purchased, after 6 months of wear the bottom starts to fan out and away from my hips/body. Its really annoying, when the jackets were new they were very tapered to my body.

Do I need to dry clean it? Is there any other way to prevent this?

12. TurboBruce

TurboBruce Well-Known Member

I'm looking for the name of this pattern:

[​IMG]

Looks a bit like gingham but I'm guessing there's probably a better name for it?

13. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

14. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I'm looking for the name of this pattern:

[​IMG]

Looks a bit like gingham but I'm guessing there's probably a better name for it?

Block check.

15. noxlord

noxlord Active Member