• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by C3PLOS
I know this is a horrible generalization, but I've always felt that skinheads down in LA were always pretty aggressive and seemed to be looking for fights What I'm wondering is if things are still that way down there? Are there still a lot of fights going on at clubs? (And to be fair, I heard a year or so ago up here in the Bay Area that new skinheads were hanging out at soul nights and starting fights with people, including the older, mellowed-out skinheads.)
nothings changed. it's either WP types looking for trouble, or so called "anti-racist skinheads" looking for the same trouble. Tho tbh I think there is a lot less WP skin problems and actually more problems related to "anti racists". still too many in the skin scene that use it as a way of furthering their gang culture mentality
frown.gif

kmarriner

Reaction score
GS, Do you know if the JtG solovairs fit any different than DM Forlife? The reason I ask is because here you said solovair fit ½ size larger than DM.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ yea, IME doc marten fit small, about half size. Solovair fit true, to me.

If I get same size in DM as Solovair, my toes are crunched up at front and I cant walk very far. But i know people who think DM is TTS, but I've NEVER found doc marten to fit true. (always a bit small)

same goes with For Life. I got mine same as my DM size, which is 1 size larger than my Solovair size

kmarriner

Reaction score
Haha, I wear 10US in dress shoes, My DMs were 9UK and they fit decent (probably slightly big).
I want to get a pair of the JtG 8eyes since I just got my refund from DM, but they are out of 9UK and I am trying to decide if I can fit in an 8UK.

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmarriner
Haha, I wear 10US in dress shoes, My DMs were 9UK and they fit decent (probably slightly big). I want to get a pair of the JtG 8eyes since I just got my refund from DM, but they are out of 9UK and I am trying to decide if I can fit in an 8UK.
Damn you must really want those 8eyes if you're thinking about getting them a size smaller than your usual size. From my experience: Stick to your size otherwise it's just a waste of money(believe me I know :/)

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
nothings changed. it's either WP types looking for trouble, or so called "anti-racist skinheads" looking for the same trouble. Tho tbh I think there is a lot less WP skin problems and actually more problems related to "anti racists". still too many in the skin scene that use it as a way of furthering their gang culture mentality
frown.gif

That's probably why there isn't much shows happening in LA lately(or since last year). Unless if you mean those backyard gigs. I never go to those and don't plan to but I hear that there's always some drama there. Most of the venue shows I've been to didn't have drama(or at least it wasn't happening where I was throughout the night). Most of the good shows have moved to Long Beach or Pomona or just elsewhere in CA(I saw Ill Repute in Pomona in 09'
biggrin.gif
and my friend said he saw Iron Cross there ). I remember seeing Blitz at the Knitting Factory-Hollywood in 07'. So glad I got to see them before Alan "Nidge" Miller passed away.

kmarriner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
Damn you must really want those 8eyes if you're thinking about getting them a size smaller than your usual size. From my experience: Stick to your size otherwise it's just a waste of money(believe me I know :/)
You have no idea. I have had so many problems with DM and I just got my refund after waiting for it. JTG says they won't have the boots in a 9uk until sometime mid to late february, I considered grabbing a pair from williamlennon I am just not sure yet.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
I remember seeing Blitz at the Knitting Factory-Hollywood in 07'. So glad I got to see them before Alan "Nidge" Miller passed away.

toyed with going to that show, but "Blitz" with only Nidge in the band didnt really appeal to me. Too bad about his sudden death tho.

Iron Cross played Pomona??? (I'm assuming Glass House or Fox Theatre)....I must have been asleep when that happened, never knew they played...but then I have the same feeling about Iron Cross in 2010 as I do Blitz....
facepalm.gif

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmarriner
You have no idea. I have had so many problems with DM and I just got my refund after waiting for it.

JTG says they won't have the boots in a 9uk until sometime mid to late february, I considered grabbing a pair from williamlennon I am just not sure yet.

If they[williamlennon] have them then you should go for it. It's best to get them while they're in stock. I'm still waiting til JTG or Warrior bring in new shipment for their sta prest trousers(I'm usually a 34 waist but many have told me to size up once or twice if I plan to get their sta prest trousers). They won't have any until Mid February
dozingoff.gif

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
toyed with going to that show, but "Blitz" with only Nidge in the band didnt really appeal to me. Too bad about his sudden death tho.

Iron Cross played Pomona??? (I'm assuming Glass House or Fox Theatre)....I must have been asleep when that happened, never knew they played...but then I have the same feeling about Iron Cross in 2010 as I do Blitz....
facepalm.gif

I was told Iron Cross played at ANGELO'S Pizza(it's right across the block from the Glasshouse). Another good and memorable show I went to was Youth Brigade with 7 Seconds and Swinging Utters in 09'(I went for 7 Seconds for the most part and a lil for YB). People were flying off stage left and right and the pit was wild, 80s old school status! Something like this:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Quite a few skinheads showed up but no drama whatsoever
cool.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something just crossed my mind. We had been talking about shoes (from the Squire Shop), and the term we had been using was 'smooths'. Back in the day we called them 'Royals', rightly or wrongly.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah - I have it playing now - It's modern skins, but I like the multicultural aspect. Thumbs up!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Something just crossed my mind. We had been talking about shoes (from the Squire Shop), and the term we had been using was 'smooths'. Back in the day we called them 'Royals', rightly or wrongly.

right. Royals was the brand right? I know the brogues were often called "Royals" as well. I've seen a pair of smooths that were made by Royal. And Loake calls their American longwing the "Royal", I'm sure as a reference/homage to said Royals of your time.

Originally Posted by mattitude313

not sure if this has been posted yet.

that's the video companion to George Marshall's book "Skinhead Nation". I still keep in touch with couple of those guys shown in NYC. Met Pan(at 1:05) back in the early 90s, he and his crew pretty much ran out every nazi skinhead in Portland. And ironically I also know the guy he's referring to when he says he got cut in the face by him, "from the Lemonheads", as he's a local Socal fellow. I did appreciate that they had Paul Burnley on to sort of represent "his side". I dunno why he looks like he's trying to be incognito, since it's not like anyone into the new breed of skinhead/oi doesnt know who he is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics