• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Not wanting to start drama in this thread, but how in the world can you guys think those motorcycles are even remotely attractive?

C'mon, gnatty -- you've been around long enough to know that there are serious subcultures in the motorcycle world. Young "crotch-rocket" aficionados don't have a lot of use for the Harley crowd and vice-versa. I could go on.
smile.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
C'mon, gnatty -- you've been around long enough to know that there are serious subcultures in the motorcycle world. Young "crotch-rocket" aficionados don't have a lot of use for the Harley crowd and vice-versa. I could go on.
smile.gif

Some of the subcultures I get, like the bobber culture, cafe racers and so on and so forth, but those rice rocket bikes are hideous..

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you could post some contenders for best looking bikes. I don't like the CBR much. It's a pretty boring looking bike, but the the model, to me, looks more exciting than most cruisers. In the CBR category, I like off the top of my hat, the KTM RC8
ktm-rc8r-side.jpg
and TS's favourite:
Suzuki%20GSX%201100S%20Katana%2081%20%202.jpg
Edit: no drama here.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
but those rice rocket bikes are hideous..
I'm not much of a fan of 600 supersports or literbikes on the street, but for going around a race track as quickly as possible, a 600 supersport is unparalelled among street bikes. And at the end of the day, for that purpose, a full fairing is pretty much required. The sad thing is more that they all look alike, not that they're ugly. For their intended purpose, they're well-suited.

But, then I've owned not one, but two, KTM 640 Adventures, so clearly looks aren't my highest priority in bikes.

BTW, Gnatty, have you ever ridden a 2007 R1 (for instance) at full boil? Not my cup of tea (I like my license too much), but it isn't hard to see what's appealing about it. There is simply no other vehicle you can buy that has as visceral an impact when accelerating out of a corner.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In no particular order, but here are a few I find particularly aesthetically pleasing:

Triumph_Bonneville_50th_09.jpg

t100_overview_main_2008.jpg

Harley_Davidson-FLSTFE_Fat_Boy-2004.jpg

Harley-Davidson-XL1200-Nightster-2008.jpg

0709_hbkp_04_z+harley_davidson+xl_1200n_nightster.jpg

And I really like the look of these Royal Enfield bikes:

2010_Royal_Enfield_Bullet_C5_Military_Wallpaper%201.jpg

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first experience riding motorcycles was a twelve day trip on a rented RE Bullet 350. So I've soft spot for them and that one looks pretty sweet. I'd also love to try the diesel version even if it has only about ten HP.

I've not ridden your other choices so take this with the grain of salt it deserves, but those bikes lack a certain utilitian look I find apealing. It just doesn't look like they ride that great.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Sorry, but the kink in the exhaust on the Bonnie is awful. And the aircleaner cover on the Fat Boy is beyond beastly. I think we can all agree the Nightster is a decent looking rig, and I think the Sportster SuperLow in white/orange looks good too.

The Royal Enfield, I'm not even sure what to say about. It looks like a 1955 Royal Enfield, but the RE casting of the unit motor is unattractive. But it'd be unfair to compare styling on that bike to anything new. From a contemporary bikes standpoint, I think a Matchless C80CS or Ariel NH looks better, but then no one is still churning those out...

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not wanting to start drama in this thread, but how in the world can you guys think those motorcycles are even remotely attractive?

See this is how I feel about most generic cruisers.

I like crotch rockets, and with a few aesthetic mods they can look pretty nice. I'm def more a fan of cafe racers and naked bikes though.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
See this is how I feel about most generic cruisers. I like crotch rockets, and with a few aesthetic mods they can look pretty nice. I'm def more a fan of cafe racers and naked bikes though.
+1 Though to be fair, 1980's *** Turbo bikes are the pinnacle of cool to me.
1982-xj650-turbo-500x333.jpg
honda-cx650-turbo-2-500x310.jpg
1982_XN85_Turbo_450.jpg
gpz-750-turbo-rear-500x375.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
BTW, Gnatty, have you ever ridden a 2007 R1 (for instance) at full boil? Not my cup of tea (I like my license too much), but it isn't hard to see what's appealing about it. There is simply no other vehicle you can buy that has as visceral an impact when accelerating out of a corner.

No, can't say that I have. What draws me to motorcycles is not the rush of speed and extreme riding, so that probably explains the lack of appeal (to me) of the sport bike genre. Now I have seen some Ducati and Triumph motorcycles in the category that I'll admit look interesting, and I would probably even admit there's something about them that I like, but the genericism of the Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki sportbikes is spirit-crushing. To each their own though.

Saw a 2011 Fat Bob at Harley Davidson dealer today when I went to buy a cover and some StaBil. Please, oh please, somebody tell me that four motorcycles is beyond gluttony..
laugh.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
the genericism of the Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki sportbikes is spirit-crushing.
See, I just don't get that. Without making this into a sportbike vs cruiser thing (I don't really tend to like either) Cruisers are by far more generic looking than any sportbike. When the entire industry consists of one "original" manufacturer and a host of copycats, that tends to happen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads