Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dave

dave Senior member

+1

Though to be fair, 1980's Jap Turbo bikes are the pinnacle of cool to me.

[​IMG]

My dad's got one of these he bought brand new in 1988. Still unsold in the crate. Really a frightening ride the way the turbo comes on. The lag is insane.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

My dad's got one of these he bought brand new in 1988. Still unsold in the crate. Really a frightening ride the way the turbo comes on. The lag is insane.

Yeah, I hear they were not really user friendly bikes. [​IMG]

3. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Dear Gnatty,

I like how you talk about generic sports bikes and then in almost the same breath speak lovingly of a buying Fat bob after just acquiring a Street bob.[​IMG]

I guess looking from the inside out things look different than when looking from the outside in.

We are using the term generic in different manners it would seem. Generic to me, means it is difficult to tell one from the other. In this regard, I think the Fat Bob and Street Bob are very easy to distinguish (in fact, my 4 year old son can already do this) from one another. However, line up 10 sport bikes all in blue, and I think I'd have a hard time telling one from the other. Still, you have a point that it's all about perspective. Maybe the fact that the pointy ass end on one is 1" higher than the pointy ass end on another is meaningful to afficianados. It isn't to me, which is why I find it hard to find these bikes attractive.

5. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

This is my idea of a cruiser:

[​IMG]

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I was using those pictures as an example of how cruisers and crotch rockets can both look exactly the same. It's a Harley but... I like it [​IMG]

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I was using those pictures as an example of how cruisers and crotch rockets can both look exactly the same.

It's a Harley but... I like it
    [​IMG]

I had one, a 1200 Lightning. It was an interesting bike. It had those wild looks...and then it had that low-revving, torque monster of an irrigation pump motor. It took some getting used to, shifting your bike at a lower rpm point than your car. I am just not a big fan of the V-Twin pushrod powerplant in a bike. I had it for less than a year before I sold it. Might have ridden it 10 times total.

Mike

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I was using those pictures as an example of how cruisers and crotch rockets can both look exactly the same.
    I know, I was just showing that that wasn't all there was. Saying that all sportbikes look the same based on a couple examples and ignoring all the rest that don't follow that example isn't exactly fair. There are plenty of sportbikes that don't look like the two you posted. I would like someone to post pictures of (stock, not custom) cruisers that don't fit in the Harley Davidson cruiser mold though. I've seen a couple (really ugly swoopy ones with LED lights and bulbous fairings) but I can't remember what they are. They are the exception to the rule though, as far as I know. Most cruisers look like Harleys on purpose.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

This isn't what I was thinking of, but I guess this qualifies as a non-harley style cruiser. [​IMG] edit: this is the one I was thinking of: [​IMG] Victory makes some weird looking bikes. [​IMG]

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

^
    I don't think I have ever seen that motorcycle in real life or in print. Ghastly. Still though, relatively Harley-esque typical cruiser styling. Especially from the gas tank back. Front end is hideous though.

13. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

You were 12 in 2004?

Second pic, with all the farkles on it is less offensive than the first.