• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of My Shoe Hospital

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
I had a pair of shoes that I like, but that are so worn and old, and not particularly expensive anyway, that I was interested in getting them resoled on the cheap.

I have used B Nelson in the past and have been thoroughly pleased with the quality of their work and the communication about what to do. Clearly, Nick's operation is designed to please demanding customers who send in expensive shoes and want top quality work.

For these shoes, I decided to do an experiment and try out My Shoe Hospital, an online shoe repair service. They say they are a very large operation. As best I can tell, this is a chain of shops in Texas that also has a big online business. Their major appeal for me was the price. It was about half what I think B Nelson would have charged.

The process of creating an account and typing in what I wanted done online was simple. They generated a shipping label that I printed out and used to send the package Fedex. Shipping is included in the price.

The shoes got to them just fine. I got a message to call to discuss. The person with whom I spoke was far from Nick's level in knowledge of shoes. I was getting a little worried about how much I had to explain, but I was resolved to go ahead with the experiment. I learned from her that they did have an option of stacked leather heels, although the website offered only rubber or a combination. I went with stacked leather.

Since I do my own maintenance, I told them not to do anything to the uppers, just replace the soles and heels. Interestingly, having sent double soled shoes to B Nelson, the person at MSH said they usually did not remove the midsole, flatten the insole or recork when resoling double soled shoes. If I wanted that done it would have been an extra $30. Since i loved the fit as it was, I hoped leaving the mid sole in place would preserve that. I told them to resole without removing the midsole- no recork, no flattening of the insole.

I asked them to make the sole bottoms the typical Florsheim dark purple and to leave the edges natural. These requests seemed to confuse the telephone rep but after checking with someone on the shop floor they agreed they could do that.

4 weeks later the shoes came back, and here is my verdict:

You get what you pay for.
The price was as quoted $81 for new soles and stacked leather heels, soles died and painted like Florsheim. They left the midsole and did nothing to the insole. Fit has not changed at all. Happy with all of that.

Workmanship: The groove in the outsole for the stitching was so narrow and shallow that they are effectively stitched aloft. Not a big problem for me, since I will be applying sole protectors. But even the limited sanding needed to prepare the surface for the sole protectors will involve damaging the stitching, since it is essentially unprotected. The groove is also so narrow that many of the stitches seem to lie on top, rather than sit within the groove. Having heard DW's feelings about the right way to do the stitching, I am sparing us all by not including a photo of the near-aloft job.

Had I intended to wear these without sole protectors I would have been very unhappy.

Cosmetically, the stitching is pretty irregular, quite unlike what i have seen from B Nelson. Other than that, the soles and heels look nice.

Leather Quality: I am no expert on soling leather, but it feels softer than what I have gotten from B Nelson, both the JR and the regular soles. I can mark the sole with a fingernail. Not something I can do with the soles I have from B Nelson. Again, the soles will be protected, but someone who wants to walk on unprotected leather might not be satisfied.

I had not specified any nails in the heels and there were none. I may add brass nails myself along with heel taps.

Conclusion:
Definitely a successful experiment. I have another pair of well worn shoes that need a resole, probably not worth paying B Nelson prices and that will get sole protectors when they come back. I will be sending them off to MSH as soon as I satisfy myself that there are no other problems.

On the other hand, for nicer shoes, newer shoes, more expensive shoes or anything even remotely custom, I would go back to B Nelson in a heartbeat.

You get what you pay for.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good info, nice to have alternatives + thanks for sharing.

fyi: I've used B Nelson ~4 times or so and have always been 100% pleased. Not cheap, but worth it. I'll also add that JR soles are worth every penny when it comes to wear and tear, they far outlast any original soles I've ever had, regardless of the makers I've had (C&J, Carmina, Alden, Sutor, EG for RL,...)

maxrocketmusic

Reaction score
The customer is always wrong. At least by email.

They're great if there are no issues, but if there is an issue their Satisfaction Guarantee doesn't mean anything. The first pair I had repaired were great -- Cole Haan. So I did a second pair, some of my favorites, Clarks. Those required some sort of special treatment, and MyShoeHospital.com (Austin Shoe Hospital) put very hard front soles on them which are very uncomfortable. My favorite comfortable shoes are now some of my least comfortable shoes. They ruined my favorite shoes and only offered me a 25% refund. Then didn't respond when I said that wasn't enough.

Then I called them up and was told I could ship the shoes back and choose from some different soles before having it done, but that just seems like an ordeal.

I'd recommend going to your local shoe repair folks instead if they're any good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics