• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
Thats what I meant? The 44 would fit a slim 46 best.
facepalm.gif
I wrote out a decently long paragraph and then reread what was said and realized that yes, we are arguing the exact same point. Ignore me
shog[1].gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
let me know

Originally Posted by AR_Six
Not yet, if this one fits and Fok is wrong or can be made wrong through tailoring I probly will though.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Will do.

Re the geller sizing discussion, it really depends on the piece. Some of the pants in 48 (my normal size) I can't even fit into. I bought 2 pairs of the ones I posted and will sell the pair that doesn't fit (or both if neither do I guess but I imagine one of the two will).

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
+1

several years ago my "go to" outfit was a pair of Levi 514 jeans and an AA tee ($50 total). Today my "go to" outfit is Attachment jeans and a Lad Musician tee ($500 total). Although both are basic, the more expensive basics look far better due to the cut, fabric quality, and details.

However, you cannot fully appreciate it unless you compare the pieces in person. For example, the AA fabric looks cheap compared to Lad. But you cannot really see this difference in a fit picture on the Internet. That's why I laugh at people here claiming a $5 Hanes tee is "good enough".

One thing I've noticed is that most cheap tees (Hanes, AA, etc) don't look good unless they fit nearly skin tight. Whereas a Lad or MofM tee can often look good even if worn slightly loose. It's as if the cut on the cheap tee is so poor (e.g. shapeless box cut) that you have to size down far enough so that your body itself provides most of the shape. Or maybe it's that NOTHING is good or interesting about the Hanes shirt, thus the only thing you can do is ensure that it fits well.

lol... its not that the cut is messed up its that your body isnt ideal for the cut... i look great in hanes and AA

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
lol... its not that the cut is messed up its that your body isnt ideal for the cut... i look great in hanes and AA
Right I guess I'm just too skinny for AA, the brand marketed at skinny teenage hipsters! In actuality the AA baby ribbed tees fit me well in size s and look ok. But that does not change the fact that the fabric looks cheap and the details are bland/cheap looking. Because of this, if the fit is not tight then the cheap shirts cannot hold their own. Can you really deny that the easiest way to obtain a good look from a cheap/bland piece (outside of layering with more baler pieces) is via a tight fit? This is analogous to how H&M is crap quality, but people here give it "pass" since the pieces are cut slim and frequently worn tight.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Depends on the pieces. Geller outerwear is usually tts or cut slim, especially in the arms. The jeans are really slim, especially through the thighs. His sweaters and sweatshirts, on the other hand, fit long and often boxy. As someone said before, he is a really good stylist, which means that he is really good at playing with proportions, among other things. The fitted jacket over an oversized knit with either slim or oversized pants is something he brought to Cloak as well.

This is, of course, in the 48-50 spectrum. I have no idea how is grading is for the lower sizes.

Haha, didn't you say this?

basics is a weird idea. my favorite "basics" are the geller seconds tank and the raggedy-ass All Saints sweater, both of which I posted in the fit battle. Those two stupid little items (and things like the OV tees) get an insane amount of wear. None of them are really baller, and I guess their basic-ness is up for debate, so maybe I'm not actually contributing anything. But I will say that Hanes tees don't fit me right. i'm wearing one right now, and the large is too large everywhere and a medium is too short. Similar things happen when I buy from AA.

I'm thinking, since I'm out of the habit of wearing a white t-shirt 7 days in a row anyway, that I'll just give up on "basics" and just buy more independently "baller" ****. Nothing wrong with white t-shirts, but I'm really feeling layers this fall.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
W+H cashmere knit I feel this is the best piece in their FW10 collection, and likely the only piece I'll be buying from them this season. The Size XS fits me like a dream without looking funny like so many other W+H pieces have in the past. Very happy with it and can see myself wearing it a lot this winter.
wh_cashmere1.jpg

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
Haha, didn't you say this?
I believe it was Magician (not Fok) whom called Geller a good stylist, right before he tore into Geller with criticism.
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by Synthese
basics is a weird idea. my favorite "basics" are the geller seconds tank and the raggedy-ass All Saints sweater, both of which I posted in the fit battle. Those two stupid little items (and things like the OV tees) get an insane amount of wear. None of them are really baller, and I guess their basic-ness is up for debate, so maybe I'm not actually contributing anything. But I will say that Hanes tees don't fit me right. i'm wearing one right now, and the large is too large everywhere and a medium is too short. Similar things happen when I buy from AA.
I don't even think in terms of basics vs. non-basics. In my opinion you should spend the most on the pieces you'll be wearing the most. That's why I spend far more money on tees than (say) knits. I get hot far too easily and as a consequence my knits see very little wear. I bought that beautiful dbss gradation knit last year that everyone loved, yet I've only worn it twice! I honestly cannot understand how these guys in socal like Jet and kelvinsense can stand wearing such hot clothing. Although I suspect jet simply likes collecting knits. Not to promote AA, but have you tried their baby ribbed tees? The length on them is a lot longer than their regular tees, the fit is far slimmer (sleeves are narrow like a Japanese tee), and the fabric is thicker (similar to the thickness of a W+H tee). They are a lot better shirt than the standard AA2001 model.

Brinbro

Reaction score
BB1, you're an extra small, so I can only imagine your sizing issues, but surely you must realize there's something fishy about arguing about the cut of a basic hanes tee shirt versus that of a Japanese 'super' tee shirt? I think you're projecting too much, and I hesitantly agree with what ppllzz said.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brinbro
BB1, you're an extra small, so I can only imagine your sizing issues, but surely you must realize there's something fishy about arguing about the cut of a basic hanes tee shirt versus that of a Japanese 'super' tee shirt? I think you're projecting too much, and I hesitantly agree with what ppllzz said.

Would you be similarly critical if I was explaining to noobs the difference between Levis vs. $300 Japanese denim by comparing the two? Or are such comparisons and advocacy only valid in your world if they validate mainstream opinions?

T-shirts are actually one of the easiest items to get in smaller sizes. Since woman are increasingly wearing men's styles, brands like AA offer most of their men's tees in unisex sizing going down to XXS (which is even too small me). So quit trying to infer that the cheap tees must fit me worse than others due to sizing issues.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz

+1, I dont really like AA but I do look great in their ls thermals and ls tees, cant deny that.

Originally Posted by BB1
But that does not change the fact that the fabric looks cheap and the details are bland/cheap looking.

This is analogous to how H&M is crap quality, but people here give it "pass" since the pieces are cut slim and frequently worn tight.

Is AA material crap quality? hell yes! but at that price I just buy new ones every few months, change colors/tones and keep it fresh.

And I agree that for the most part h&m sucks hard in quality but the black label dress shirts arent that bad, there pretty cheap and the fit is ******* great, so although I dont really like h&m and I know their quality sucks, I do buy black label dress shirts there often, again every few months 'cuz they're soo cheap and keep coming out with nice patterns/colors.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heavy linen chester coat (winter weight) not sure of the brand as the tags have been cut, but made in Japan
esK3i.jpg
FMLqp.jpg
BU16w.jpg

Brinbro

Reaction score
Okay, I have to ask, do you have t-rex arms? You always do that claw thing with your hands and your sleeves are too long in most of your pieces, plus you're really skinny... I apologize if your arms are actually shorter than they should be proportionally, it's just always irked me; I think you're not helping yourself by not shortening the sleeves on some of the stuff you own.

Nice fabric on that overcoat, though. Like it unbuttoned.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I don't even think in terms of basics vs. non-basics. In my opinion you should spend the most on the pieces you'll be wearing the most. That's why I spend far more money on tees than (say) knits. I get hot far too easily and as a consequence my knits see very little wear. I bought that beautiful dbss gradation knit last year that everyone loved, yet I've only worn it twice! I honestly cannot understand how these guys in socal like Jet and kelvinsense can stand wearing such hot clothing. Although I suspect jet simply likes collecting knits.
that is disgusting. I wear my clothing like they're wallets. edit: oh and before you piss a bucket, it was a joke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads