• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

AndyMcL

Reaction score
First time on the erg after a couple of weeks off, did a tabbata interval (8 sets of 20 seconds on 10 seconds off). Averaged out to be a 1:36 at 33spm. I know I should be doing more distance work, but I just liek sprinting more.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndyMcL
First time on the erg after a couple of weeks off, did a tabbata interval (8 sets of 20 seconds on 10 seconds off). Averaged out to be a 1:36 at 33spm. I know I should be doing more distance work, but I just liek sprinting more.

Never found a Tabatas on an erg to be a good workout... resistance has never been enough, even on level 10. Tabatas with hang cleans, or hang clean front squats a very different story.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Never found a Tabatas on an erg to be a good workout... resistance has never been enough, even on level 10. Tabatas with hang cleans, or hang clean front squats a very different story.
The trick I've found is to use a higher resistance, to go all out on all of them, and to make sure you start each from a stop. By sprinting hard instead of pacing you really get the oxygen debt going pretty hard. It's not the toughest workout ever, but I wanted something quick. Front squat tabatas are awful. Edit: today's workout: 4x2"/2"off 1:42.4 28spm 1:41.8 29spm 1:42.8 30spm 1:41.9 31spm Avg: 1:42.2 Session was a lot tougher than I expected. Just felt like my legs didn't have any spring in them (hence the rating going up). Was a little dehydrated too, so that didn't help. I've done 8x500m faster (albeit with more rest), so I'm definitely out of shape. Guess that's what happens after 3 weeks away from the erg/water. Hopefully it'll come back fast! During the warm up I did a watts test; got 705, which is not too bad, but about 50 below my PR. Evidently my poor performance comes from a cardiovascular decline, not strength related.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Decided to do a 36" L4 piece: 100/102/100/102/104/108 Figured I'd use a 1:46 reference pace, as my 2k is probably around that right now.

2:08.1avg 1405(+34m)
2:06.8avg 1420(+35)
2:08.3avg 1403(+32m)
2:07.2avg 1415((+30)
2:06.1avg 1427(+40m)
2:03.8avg 1456(+50m)
Overall: 2:06.7

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 1:46 pace seemed pretty slow. It wasn't a very long session, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but it does look like I could probably go down to 1:45.

Practice starts in a week! Time to make up for a lack of summer training...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to do a 36" L4 piece: 100/102/100/102/104/108 Figured I'd use a 1:46 reference pace, as my 2k is probably around that right now.

2:08.1avg 1405(+34m)
2:06.8avg 1420(+35)
2:08.3avg 1403(+32m)
2:07.2avg 1415((+30)
2:06.1avg 1427(+40m)
2:03.8avg 1456(+50m)
Overall: 2:06.7

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 1:46 pace seemed pretty slow. It wasn't a very long session, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but it does look like I could probably go down to 1:45.

Practice starts in a week! Time to make up for a lack of summer training...

Who do you row for?

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Who do you row for?

I row for Skidmore College. We're a small school in NY state, with a pretty tiny rowing program. It was weird going from a High School team with 4 eights, to a college team with one and a half.

I probably good go pack through the posts here, but I'm too lazy. Where'd you row?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I row for Skidmore College. We're a small school in NY state, with a pretty tiny rowing program. It was weird going from a High School team with 4 eights, to a college team with one and a half.

I probably good go pack through the posts here, but I'm too lazy. Where'd you row?

I've heard of Skidmore. I rowed for UCSD, a non-scholarship program but kinda big. We had 4/5 eights including novice. I walked on my freshman year after a freak injury prevented me from playing tennis and I chose crew over triathlon team ( who won 2 national championships when I was in school, gotta brag
smile.gif
)

AndyMcL

Reaction score
I've heard of Skidmore. I rowed for UCSD, a non-scholarship program but kinda big. We had 4/5 eights including novice. I walked on my freshman year after a freak injury prevented me from playing tennis and I chose crew over triathlon team ( who won 2 national championships when I was in school, gotta brag
smile.gif
)

Nice! I did a triathlon once, one of the hardest things I've done. Bike and the run were okay, but man I did not prepare enough for the swim. Thought that swimming laps for a couple weeks would get me ready. It didn't. Now, if the first part of it was erging/sculling maybe I'd be more interested! My uncle went to UCSB and loved it. Part of me does wish I'd checked out more schools out west. On a thread related note, team meeting tomorrow and practice starts Thursday.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! I did a triathlon once, one of the hardest things I've done. Bike and the run were okay, but man I did not prepare enough for the swim. Thought that swimming laps for a couple weeks would get me ready. It didn't. Now, if the first part of it was erging/sculling maybe I'd be more interested!

My uncle went to UCSB and loved it. Part of me does wish I'd checked out more schools out west.

On a thread related note, team meeting tomorrow and practice starts Thursday.

You obviously haven't rowed hard enough
smile.gif

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6k last night. 22:16. (1:51 split).

Hurt like fuckin' crazy. Should've been a little faster, but all in all, not a bad piece.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God, I hated 6k's, for a completely different reason than I hated 2k's...

They were so boring...

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
God, I hated 6k's, for a completely different reason than I hated 2k's...

They were so boring...

Yeah, same. For a 2k you can gut it out, but a 6k just wears you down. The best trick I have is breaking it down into 500m pieces. Even that doesn't really help.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, same. For a 2k you can gut it out, but a 6k just wears you down. The best trick I have is breaking it down into 500m pieces. Even that doesn't really help.

I was the opposite. 2K's hurt so fuckin bad i dreaded them. 5k's and 6k's I just got into my little mental bubble and it was just me and the split time, way less pain.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really not rowing as much as I'd like
confused.gif

But got a good workout in tonight. 10 min warm @ 2:00/500m

Then 3 x 10mins @ 20/20/24-25spm. First two were an even 1:54.0 on purpose, not pushing crazy hard cause I'm still in gain weight mode. Last one I pushed hard but only managed 1:51.0 at very near maximum effort. Kinda happy kinda sad with the results. I am noticing an increase in leg strength because of the extreme increase in leg work, specifically dl stuff. But today my aerobic capacity and really my core was breaking down on me. I haven't had my core break down like today since my freshman year of college, it was weird ****. My mind is stronger than my body at the moment.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did 3x3k monday with less-than-equal rest. Pulled a 1:51 each time. Wednesday was 8x500m. Ratings were 26/26/28/28/30/30/open/open. Splits were 1:44, 1:44, 1:42, 1:40, 1:39, 1:38, 1:38, 1:37 for 320 meters then legit blacked out and fell off the erg. Today, we seat raced 800 pieces OTW in 8+'s. Times were between 2:30 and 2:36 (1:33-1:37 splits). I beat the kid I was up against by 2 seconds. HOO-RAH.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads