• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Did 3x3k monday with less-than-equal rest. Pulled a 1:51 each time.

Wednesday was 8x500m. Ratings were 26/26/28/28/30/30/open/open. Splits were 1:44, 1:44, 1:42, 1:40, 1:39, 1:38, 1:38, 1:37 for 320 meters then legit blacked out and fell off the erg.

Today, we seat raced 800 pieces OTW in 8+'s. Times were between 2:30 and 2:36 (1:33-1:37 splits). I beat the kid I was up against by 2 seconds. HOO-RAH.

How heroic!
laugh.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did 3x3k monday with less-than-equal rest. Pulled a 1:51 each time. Wednesday was 8x500m. Ratings were 26/26/28/28/30/30/open/open. Splits were 1:44, 1:44, 1:42, 1:40, 1:39, 1:38, 1:38, 1:37 for 320 meters then legit blacked out and fell off the erg. Today, we seat raced 800 pieces OTW in 8+'s. Times were between 2:30 and 2:36 (1:33-1:37 splits). I beat the kid I was up against by 2 seconds. HOO-RAH.
Isn't it great. Ha. My favorite pass out was slumped against a tree. I recommend not driving immediately after, makes for a bad time.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Isn't it great. Ha. My favorite pass out was slumped against a tree. I recommend not driving immediately after, makes for a bad time.
Was this after erging, or triathlon-related stuff? Anyway, today's a late start for school, so we did a 2-a-day. 6 AM on the water. I'm rowing 4 seat in 2V8. We rowed 6 pieces against our 1V8 and never let them take more than 4 seats on us. This afternoon, we're doing 5x1000m. We race saturday.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was this after erging, or triathlon-related stuff?

Anyway, today's a late start for school, so we did a 2-a-day.

6 AM on the water. I'm rowing 4 seat in 2V8. We rowed 6 pieces against our 1V8 and never let them take more than 4 seats on us.

This afternoon, we're doing 5x1000m. We race saturday.

Was actually punishment during crew for some dumbass puncturing a hole in the hull of one of the rigs.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was actually punishment during crew for some dumbass puncturing a hole in the hull of one of the rigs.

laugh.gif
It truly is nice to experience from afar how life in the States resembles movies.

This winter/spring I plan on doing a sprint triathlon. Do you have any advice?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
laugh.gif
It truly is nice to experience from afar how life in the States resembles movies.

We make the movies no?
smile.gif

What are your goals in the Tri? To win, yes
smile.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We make the movies no?
smile.gif

What are your goals in the Tri? To win, yes
smile.gif

Winning is probably not an option, but I want as fast a time as possible. And then improve on that time the next try.

750m swimming seems easy
20km biking is mostly new to me
5km running is half of my max distance during trainings, atm.

My only race experience in these sports is with running. 7-10 races. 10k max, with a 'record' on that distance of 53 min. So, as I said, winning is probably not an option.
smile.gif

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn. What exactly was the punishment? One eight (not mine) almost dropped their boat on a race day. They had to do 1300 jump squats the next day. More than half of that boat had to use the elevator at school for the next week.

Anyway, the 5x1k went ok Monday. Ratings were set at 28/30/30/32/32. My splits were 1:48/1:46/1:46/1:46/1:46.

Tomorrow, we're doing a crossfit-style workout. The whole thing is timed.

1600m erg @ 24spm
300 bodyweight squats
200 situps
100 pushups
10 laps around our track.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. What exactly was the punishment? One eight (not mine) almost dropped their boat on a race day. They had to do 1300 jump squats the next day. More than half of that boat had to use the elevator at school for the next week.

Anyway, the 5x1k went ok Monday. Ratings were set at 28/30/30/32/32. My splits were 1:48/1:46/1:46/1:46/1:46.

Tomorrow, we're doing a crossfit-style workout. The whole thing is timed.

1600m erg @ 24spm
300 bodyweight squats
200 situps
100 pushups
10 laps around our track.

The morning that happened our coach just stopped everything. He was the silent, you're fucked type. He said no workout, get in a car and follow me. He brought us to a hill that really didn't seem like much and told us we were doing hill sprints. We didn't think much of it and got to it, running to a cone he had set up maybe 50 yds up the hill. Right when we started it we realized how steep that **** was, and that the grass was mushy as hell, and that after about 30 yards it a bit less steep so you could pick up speed and pretty much sprint to the end.

But after the first sprint he just kept moving the cone farther back. And somehow that first 30yds of crazy uphill ate you alive and you were dying all through the last sprint.

A lot of the bigger guys just couldn't hang and were on their hands and knees gasping towards the end. The LW guys were taking the workout hard all the way through cause coach was 'I don't give a **** if you win the last sprint, that means your a ***** and you saved your energy til the end'. A group of us took that to heart and were yacking from sprint 7 and on. On the last one I gave more than I knew possible and passed out at the top of the hill, slumped on a tree
smile.gif

... As for your X-fit type workout that should be fun as ****. But I'd say you can do it in 23 mins. Let us know how it goes.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I'm proud of how well I wrote that considering how many drinks I had that night...

Today I put in a basic 2k after an arms and legs workout. Legs were jelly. Just trying to keep the body familiar with how ****** the erg is. First 1500 @ 1:55 and 18spm, last 500m at 1:45 or under and open spm. Final was 1:50.2. Good enough.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short row today, then de-rigged boats and loaded trailers.

Leaving for Toledo tomorrow, racing twice at the Frogtown Races saturday. Men's Open 8+ and Men's HS 1st Varsity 8+ (I'm in our school's 2V8, but we're entering 1V races this fall in order to see better competition and get prepared to whup ass in spring).

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
laugh.gif

On the Random Health thread they are talking about Tri stuff, just an FYI. General advice from me is that you should set up a 'test run' tri before you do your first actual tri. This will help with transition phases and your thought process between each aspect of the race. Also try and keep this test in your mind as an actual race, if at least racing against yourself it will prep you mentally for the challenges of the actual race.

Also, try and brick your workouts. Do bike then a run. Or a swim then a bike. Etc.

jellywerker

Reaction score
4 min @ 1:57 @ 16
1 min @ 1:38 @ 24
.5 min @ 3:00 @ 16

...that's all I do these days, gets me nice and warm for lifting

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any good links to websites or YouTube animations on rowing technique on the water for lightweight eight?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the Random Health thread they are talking about Tri stuff, just an FYI. General advice from me is that you should set up a 'test run' tri before you do your first actual tri. This will help with transition phases and your thought process between each aspect of the race. Also try and keep this test in your mind as an actual race, if at least racing against yourself it will prep you mentally for the challenges of the actual race.

Also, try and brick your workouts. Do bike then a run. Or a swim then a bike. Etc.

Thanks. Will do and Am going to check oyut that thread.
fistbump.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads